Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Rav4 Engine

kaptainkremmin

Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting a 07 Rav4 2.0 petrol 48k FMDH reading the oil problems Toyota are having, (after 50k) is there a particular model or engine I should be avoiding in the Rav4 range, Diesel isn't an option as I only do 5k a year now, some Rav's have the VVTI fitted and others a bit later Valvematic if its not the same engine. I have a 08 Volvo V50 2.4 SE D5 Geartronic with 45k FMDH was looking at doing a straight swop but don't want dealer to jump at it, if he's passing a future problem on to me, and who's getting the better deal, will look forward to any answers

Regards

Valvematic is an advancement of VVT-i which results in 5-10% fuel economy improvement. Rav4 petrol engines don't have any particular inherent issues - the oil consumption problem is confined to certain diesel engines. Any used car can have issues and should be checked out thoroughly.

• Like 1

Valvematic is an advancement of VVT-i which results in 5-10% fuel economy improvement. Rav4 petrol engines don't have any particular inherent issues - the oil consumption problem is confined to certain diesel engines. Any used car can have issues and should be checked out thoroughly.

I had an idea it was the newer engine but I'm sure I saw one in an 08-09 if so when were they brought in or had the Rav I saw had an engine change under warranty, sludging in the engine was a problem I had heard but was this with using mineral oil and not semi or fully synthetic, I do know someone who works for Toyota and he said a lot of engines had be replaced under warranty but that was for cars under five years old and under 100k which ever came first and they had full service history.

Valvematic was introduced on the Rav in mid 2009. Many diesel engines were replaced under an extended warranty arrangement from 2006 - this didn't involve petrol versions. All petrol versions of the Rav have relatively reliable engines with no particular weaknesses - provided they're serviced to the manufacturers specification.

I've got a 57 diesel with no issues but any earlier is risky, safer with 08 onwards. But if petrol should be bombproof!!