Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trip Computer

kilapot

Hi,

Been having issues with the trip computer and feel like Toyota are just fobbing me off... here are some recent scenarios

twice filled the car up (and I mean filled) trip computer on both occasions happily displayed 321 miles.

On the way to toyota (to look at issue)

At home tank 1/4 full, range 0 miles so

Local garage 20 litres in (just round the corner) tnk now showed five 8ths and a range of 199 miles

1 Mile from Toyota (after doing about 5 miles) put a further 10.2 litres in (I could see the diesel in the neck of the tank) tank stated full with a range of 196 miles (the mileage when I arrived at the garage)

I get Toyota telling me its only a guide and not 100% accurate, but I have had trip computers in a 350z and in my current Octavia and they are far far more accurate than this vehicle.

I was just wondering what sort of readings others are getting and if even just a cheeky £10 splash results in a change in the range....

Cheers in advance

The range figures aren't 100% accurate. Putting less than £15 of fuel in, does produce erratic readings - this isn't just limited to the Urban Cruiser and is common in other models. Try filling up by at least £15.

Cheers for the reply, at bit confused by the quality of readings from the trip computer....

Whenever it has claimed a range of 0 miles I've never got more than 31 litres into the thing(42 litre tank), and that normally involves filling to the top of the neck.

As stated earlier it appears wildly inaccurate when compared to the trip computer on the a 350Z or Octavia, confused as to why toyota would design and install such a useless device (it is that inaccurate that in my opinion it is totally redundant). For instance car gives approx 46 mpg on its regular use mix of urban and twisty extra urban to work of about 12 miles (so happy with the mpg). But a tank of just over 9 gallons should be indicating a range from full in excess of 400 miles (prob 420 ish), not the standard 321 miles that I get if lucky. 420-321 = 99 miles out which compared to the given figure of 321 miles is therefore an error of 30%.

Now maybe I'm over thinking/working this... but I'd expect better a lot better.

What sort of range figure do people get when filling the car up to full?

The range shown on the trip computer is based on your current consumption, so it will vary from owner to owner. The range on my Auris is usually around 350 miles when the tank is full, but this is based my fuel consumption in and around Birmingham, which is affected by relatively heavy urban traffic. For example my travel to work journey of just over 6 miles could take anything from 30 minutes to 1 hour, usually in stop/start traffic.

just a bit of info. there will be about 7-8l left in the tank when you hit "empty" the miles to empty works off the full to min not including the reserve.

so 30.2L is 6.65 gallons x 46 mpg = 306 miles to empty

Alex