Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Use Of Keys On Rav 4

madarega

Please, could any person explain the use of the keys?

I have three. The Main One has the remote options but is broken at the neck. Therefore, using it is quite a messy operation. The other two - The one with the transponder will open the door but sets off the alarm. So, what do I do?

I can not afford 150 GBP to replace the main Key. is there some way in which the alarm can be dealt with?

Thank you

Can you swop the innards/case from No1 key to No 2 or the blades

Try carspares24 tel 01895440321,found on eBay when looking for key repairs,not used them yet,seems right price. Viv

What year of Rav are you talking about as your profile says Avensis? On my 2002 model there are also 3 keys. 2 are identical black ones with the 2 buttons for the alarm and the 3rd is a grey valet key without buttons. Opening the locked doors with the key always sets the alarm off.

You can buy a new key case and blank blade on eBay. The blade will need to be cut using the old one and the innards will need to be swapped over. You'll need to carefully remove the transponder chip from the old case - it's glued in. The second key which opens the door - will it start the car? If it does - then it has a transponder chip. This type of key is usually used with a separate remote and wasn't supplied as standard with the 4.2 in the UK - unless it has a grey head. The grey valet key will operate everything apart from the glove box. If you want a second remote key without spending a fortune - buy a second hand key from a breakers or eBay. You'll need a new blade and get it cut. The method of programming the key was detailed on this forum a couple of weeks ago.

Thank You to everyone for taking the time to answer.

Will the alarm go off once I insert the key into the ignition and will the engine start and continue to run?

Any further help will be much appreciated.

You'll need to try to start the car with the key to check if it has a transponder chip - if it doesn't have a chip - the immobiliser will prevent starting. Disarm the alarm by using the remote to unlock the door. What further help do you need?

Thank You to every person who has tried to help.

I am most grateful.

I am going to try the suggestion by "redlew" as it seems that might be the simplest way to go.

This site works!!! What a really pleasant surprise!!!

It is I, once again, seeking further help, please!

I have phoned the recommendation by Redlew and, indeed, they will replace the whole key for 20 GBP plus 12 months' Guarantee. That is, clearly, the perfect solution.....or is it?

My problem now is the following:

My non-remote key with transponder opens the doors and starts the vehicle. However, the car alarm will not deactivate when using this key. It is only the push button on the fob which will work.

Does any person have any further suggestions?

Thank you