Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Choice To Make

Hugothebear

Well here I go, first post and the impossible question to answer :-) I have just about made up my mind that I am going to get a RAV4, must have examined every fault reported by honest John for all the medium 4x4 ever made and still like the Toyota best. So I have around £6000 to spend, prefer petrol because I have been put off diesel due to much discussed potential engine problems. At that price I seen to have quite a choice of cars available via Auto trader, what I am pondering is the benefit of a sub 60k mile late Mk 2 or a just over 60 or 70k mile Mk3. My old fashioned logic tells me that by the end of the Mk2 run most problems would be ironed out and that early examples from any new model are to be avoided. I will obviously try to get good service history etc but just wondered in general if late Mk2 is better prospect than early Mk3, prices seem pretty similar.... Any thoughts gratefully received....

The 4.3 doesn't have any significant inherent issues - and this is true of 2006 models (there were a couple of minor things which will invariably have been fixed on early 4.3's). The 4.2 doesn't have significant issue - though there have been minor issues with Lambda sensor failure on this model (it has 4 Lambdas) and problems with corroding / bubbling alloy wheels. Being constant 4 wheel drive, it's heavier on petrol than the 4.3. Many owners prefer the more compact shape and size of the 4.2

• Like 1

Hi, If you're looking at an early 4.3 have a close look at the exhaust system and make sure its in good condition before making a decision to buy, I have an 07 4.3 petrol with only 22000 miles on it, had it for about a year, needs a new exhaust and as there's no after market ones made anywhere its got to be from Mr T..............£1100!!! Ooocha!

Apart from that, great car, no other bills.

• Like 1

Aftermarket centre sections for the petrol 4.3 are starting to appear for under £100 - still no rear section yet. Alternatively a full stainless steel system for around £280.

• Like 1

I own a late 4.2 petrol and touch wood its been one of the most well sorted reliable cars I have owned.

Around 2004 the engine went to two Lambda sensors and drive by wire throttle body eliminating the idle valve.

Only problems I have had is passenger side front gearbox oil seal weeping. (Garage quoted £150, but I did it DIY)

Rear brake callipers have pins which may seize in if not lubricated approx every two years. (really simple DIY)

Throttle body needed a clean at approx 50K. A simple DIY job. (If the car does not creep smoothly at idle in first gear its probably needs cleaning).

Battery on the petrol cars is a joke, when replacing fit a Diesel version.

Check for a full service history, also worth checking that "optional" service items have been done

Ie Brake fluid approx two years, Gear box oil (not replaced on service schedule), Auxiliary drive belt.

• Like 1

Thank you, will look out for those... Looking very promising so far

Does this £1100 centre exhaust have a catalytic convertor in it, or is it just a stupidly overpriced toyota part?

If (when) mine goes I fancy just replacing the whole lot with a stainless steel system, but if theres a cat in there that won't be possible?

The Toyota mid section has a small secondary cat in addition to the main silencer. The aftermarket mid section doesn't have the cat and is swaged on the upstream side - it's fitted by cutting the pipe just behind the original cat. A stainless system would be fitted in a similar way. The secondary cat and pipe will probably outlast the car, but if you really wanted - a new stainless exhaust could include everything from the cat pot on the exhaust manifold to the exhaust tip. The Toyota mid section is very strange in that it includes a cat - it's unusual to replace a cat just because a silencer box has failed and simply makes the replacement unnecessarily expensive. Many other manufacturers flange the pipe behind the cat so that a replacement silencer is simply bolted on.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I've never had a car with such a stupidly expensive exhaust!

So the petrol Rav 4 has two cats, one at the exhaust manifold and one inside the centre box? So if I fit (assuming I can find a local place!) a stainless steel exhaust I would effectively only have the one (manifold) cat? Would this not affect the emissions at MOT time? Or have I misunderstood how this is fitted?

The 4.2 vvti nrg was the best most reliable car I ever owned. In 138k miles the only time it let me down on the road was a spilt exhaust. New rear exhaust 110 quid. Never put any oil in between services, all 4 sensors were replaced around 120k , they really are the quintessential bomb proof car.i only changed mine after 10 years cause i got offered a 55 plate xtr d4d on 32k miles that i couldn't resist

The link attached shows an aftermarket exhaust system on a 4.3 petrol.Theres a cat below the manifold, then a short front pipe. The secondary cat and the main silencer thereafter are one section on the Toyota part but the picture shows the pipe after the cat cut off - the new silencer then attaches to the cut end. A stainless steel exhaust would start from the cut but if you so wished - a stainless exhaust could include a new aftermarket secondary cat.

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/exh_select_order_list.php?query_nr=20&sysnr=08401200

Ah I understand now - that picture explains it perfectly - thanks for that!

So if aftermarket centre boxes are available its just a case of cutting the exhaust and attaching it to that daft little mini-cat.

What a stupid piece of design by toyota though, fitting a cat into a exhaust thats made out or recycled bean tins so making the replacement cost stupidly high, or is it just the cynic in me that thinks thats the intention!

No matter though, thanks to the excellent info on this thread I know how to get around this design flaw now.

If you live in Durham - Exhaust a Fix isn't too far away in Darlington. If you ever need a new exhaust made in a few hours in mild steel or stainless or just fix part of yours - they are excellent people.

http://www.exhaustafix.co.uk