Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Rear Wheels To Other Sizes

akandy

hi i have an imported townace campervan 94 'L' plate and it has non UK size wheels on the back,12.5 and would like to know what could be recommended as replacements for it maybe 14in?

its tyres are 225x50x12.5 truck tyres and they are not available in UK so need to get two replacement wheels that are legal and safe.i dont mind replacing all four if its necessary. the fronts are 13in normal sized wheels and tyres.

Think you would also need to determine the pitch circle diameter (commonly abreviated to PCD), centre bore and offset. Best bet may well be to consult with a local firm selling replacement wheels (alloys, etc).

• Like 1

PM your frame number and I will check to see if and what Toyota list as available on their parts catalogue

• Like 1

cheers Lee, heres my vin: CM550034998

Not sure how relative it is as its an import. I'm on hols in cornwall and am off to local Toyota dealership today to get their recommendations.cheers,andy

Your frame number works on the UK Toyota parts catalogue, I can tell you that you have a:

Townace

2c - 2.0 NA diesel

SJL - "Super single just low" Body

DX - Trim

4 speed column shift auto

048 - White paint

Built Dec 1993

The wheel tyre set up you list is the standard factory set up, there appears to be no reason as to why you can't fit the same wheels and tyres on the front to the rear. The part number for the front wheels is 42611-28080-03.

I can only assume the fitment from the factory is to induce front under steer before the rear over steers especially in such a tall narrow van which can carry quite a bit in the rear. This is speculation though.

Similar although not identical UK Liteace used 14x5j on front and 14x5.5j on the rear.

• Like 1

thanks lee thats a great help cheers. local toyota were not too helpful, too by the book which is fair enough but not any help to me, but he did suggest that as an original factory chassis cab it would have had all same wheel tyre combination.So at least i know what options i have now. once again thanks, andy

• 4 months later...

Hi akandy

i have the same vehicle (95) and had the same probem.

On the advice of my local tyre "expert" I bought a pair of 13 inch alloys but the tyre fitters were unable to fit the heavy duty tyres.(too stiff).

I then got some 14 inch steel wheels from a scrapyard and got some appropriate tyres. All sorted now except that the speedo is telling porkies.

Just driven to Corfu and back with no problems.