Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Booked In For Diagnostics

welshstyles

My Yaris is booked in for diagnostics on Thursday hopefully they can shed some on my car only doing any where between 40 to 50 mpg I've drove it all kind of styles over the time I've had it and doesn't go any higher :(

Has anyone else took there's back to Toyota with same problem. I would mind 60s at least and thats a fair bit lower than stated

Thanks

Doesn't sound unreasonable depends on how you drive it.

Like you stole it ? Or more driving Miss Daisy? I tend to cruise at 65 a lot.

Yours a Tspirit or a T4? Tspirit gets less mpg.

Whats your usual run? Town work or faster A roads or M ways. Mines the faster runs

When you lift off the power does it seem to pull to one side? Or seem reluctant to coast? eg one or more binding brakes?

Do you pulse n glide? Me - not always

Do you use the manual over ride onto EV mode a lot? Not now I don't

Currently I'm looking at 55 mpg this tank but I was late for work again this morning so hit 90 on my private A road.

Best ever in summer driving carefully is 67.6. This is all brim to brim from the same Asda's pump of course.

Toeing it up hill from 30/40 to 80 I can easily get it down to the high 40's then with 30 miles of careful motoring I'm back up to average 55 ish.

Depending on how you use it thats not too far off mine. I think the EU figures are not real world realistic if thats what your expectations are.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for reply.. Id say I do about 60 miles a day on average I would say half is town and half is sat on dual carriage ways..even on a nice steady Sunday drive I find it hard to get 50 Lol I try to coast every where to get it up. Wat would you consider warn in engine cause I'm on 8000 at moment?

Hi. I do 75miles a day so quite similar to you. Mines got 26K on it now, but 8,000 yes thats worn in alright..

I've never had a tank average below 52. Best 67.6 Most usual about 55mpg per tank.

From memory Newport isn't that hilly either. My family is from Anglesey so that sort of area I'd expect worse mpg. Tyre pressures OK? I'm old fashioned about that do my weekly checks, oil water air etc. You get a lot less mpg in winter for some reason.

Be interesting to see what the dealer says. EU mpg though is a crock imo.

Off home now. Best of luck.

Yeah constantly checking Lol trying everything for it to go further...my partners freelander td4 does 40 mpg and ain't got half the technology and weighs twice the yaris lol

Are you the person who posted a thread about this issue a week or two ago? If so, I'm sure you said you try and keep it 'in electric' as often as possible. I recall responding that that is the worst thing you could do.

If it wasn't you, then I apologise but to anyone else reading this, do not 'try' to keep any hybrid in electric as it is the worst thing you can do for overall fuel economy. For the first mile on electric you will get 100+ mpg, but then your Battery is low and the engine has to work hard to top up Battery completely ruining any mpg benefits. Just drive the hybrid normally and it works out the best blend of petrol and electric to get good mpg's.

Having read some of the other posts on here I note you drive at 90. In a Yaris? And want more than 40 mpg doing that? Either you're being totally unrealistic, naive, amusing us, amusing yourself or on another planet. You buy a 100 bhp car and drive it at 90 and wonder why your economy is poor?

See what Toyota say, but I think I know the answer already. Personally doing 90 on an A road is just being a tit whatever car you drive. Perhaps you'll get better economy when you grow up and before you kill someone. Bragging about that sort of speed might impress your friends but having had to pull a woman from a burning car at 5 am one morning after some 19 year old hit her head on whilst speeding, makes my impression of you somewhat lower.

I try to drive it normal because its what everyone is saying to do on this forum. It was the person who replied to my post said they do 90! I don't bother it doesn't seem to make journey quicker

Just a couple of suggestions, I'm sure you will have thought of then, but here they are:

Make sure of your tyre pressure, and make sure your tyre pressure gauge is accurate.

Correct engine oils, 0w20.

Get rid of unnecessary weight, is your boot full of junk?

Just drive it in "normal mode" leave ECO and PWR alone.

Try and anticipate traffic as much as possible.

What temperature do you want inside the cabin, lower the better for economy?

Keep your windows shut.

At 50 MPG your not too far of the mark, so I'm sure you will get it sorted.

Has anyone else took there's back to Toyota with same problem.

theirs ;)

Could be sticking brakes.

Are the pads more worn than expected?

As has been said, tyre pressures, oil, driving style, weather, heating all impact the mpgs.

I drive a lot of Toyota cars.........and I mean a lot ;)

They have usually been driven by a mixture of test drive customers and sales people. When I look at the average MPG they are often poor, and this is directly due to the type of driving style

I recently ran a 1.33 Yaris for quite some time and averaged 44 MPG, to me, that was poor. I swapped into a Yaris Hybrid for several days and had a conversation with a salesman who told me I would not do better in a Hybrid, as he was only getting 45 MPG out of it. After several days I was getting 60 MPG. I dont pulse and glide, I just drive steady, getting up to speed quickly but without thrashing it, and coasting with my foot backed off the pedal when I can. It amuses me to eek out the best MPG I can

I doubt there is anything wrong with your car, I bet I could get 60 MPG out of it, or maybe a little less in the winter months. An Auris Hybrid I had averaged 55 MPG, I am currently in a 1.4 diesel Auris Tourer and it is on 58 MPG currently

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Many years ago when we all drove petrol cars and diesel cars were the new kids on the block, those who complained that they couldn't get on with a diesel car needed to adjust thier driving style to suit the car.

Many years later it is now hybrids who are the new kids on the block and those who have got used to driving diesel cars are complaining that they can't get on with hybrids.

Just sayin'

Well, to be fair, diesel cars were pretty bad back then. I remember this old diesel Ford Orion my dad had... wow that was a horrible car to drive :lol:

It's amazing how far things have come; My D4D Yaris has better acceleration and yet is more economical than its petrol counterparts :D You don't really need to drive it in any special way compared to a baseline petrol car and it'll still return decent mpgs. To get better-than-decent mpgs you might need to alter driving style a bit, but that applies to any car.

The basic trick to driving economically with everything is to keep the car rolling and try to minimizing braking and accelerating.

In petrol cars, a steady acceleration tends to work better but with high-torque cars like diesel and hybrids, it seems to work better if you accelerate as hard as you can below a certain threshold (In a diesel, it's below the turbo threshold, in a hybrid, keeping it in the 'eco' segment of the power gauge), and then just keep the car rolling. I used to just gently climb through the gears in mine but now I get into 4th (or 5th) ASAP and then keep the car rolling in that gear as long as poss. and it seems to consistently give better mpgs.
(Obv. this doesn't apply in a hybrid, but the same idea applies.)

If you see traffic up ahead, don't be afraid to lift off a bit and bleed off speed if it means you can time your movement to sync up with the other cars when they start moving again; This is a good tactic and I reckon it's a large part of my ability to get mpg in the 60's even tho' I'm doing large amounts of town journeys.

In a hybrid, this should work even better; We've a few people here boasting of 70+ mpgs in their Yaris HSDs in a mixture of town and A-road driving.

That said, you shouldn't need to drive special to get decent mpgs; I have heard that it doesn't do so well in hilly areas tho'. The HSDs in general rely on energy recovery to achieve their high mpgs and if they can't do that it does affect the mpg. There isn't much info on the efficiency of the ICE but supposedly it's comparable to the 1.0VVTi (Maybe slightly more efficient but less torque?).

I wonder if anyone's looked at what sort of terrain favours the HSDs; Might be with altering journey routes to take routes that suit it more?

Given the Hybrid is automatic how does this advice on gears apply to the original poster?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply the car went in for diagnostics that day and all was fine they blamed the poor mpg on my 2mm tred on one front tyre which is more like 4mm and has been changed now, think they was just fobbing me off..the car is still achieving max of 50mpg so i contacted toyota them selves and they have told the toyota garage i use to take the car back again too look at it. So at moment i have a 63 plate auris 1.33 active to use. Only got 3000 miles on clock and i am averaging 47 mpg which is more like the quoted mpg, if i would of know i would of gone for this its alot cheaper to buy than a hybrid...not impressed

Cheers guys

Yeah, that's a bit weird. Not so much the wear (My CPC5's didn't even last that long! :crybaby:), but that it's only on one tyre.

Might be a sign that the wheels need an alignment check?

Would explain the high tyre wear and the lower than expected mpg if one of the is scrubbing!

The other side was changed before it went in and changed the one they said 2mm few days later, i thought the tyres would last longer tbh it aint like i have been wheel spinning, how long have the front tyres lasted on your all yaris hybrids out of curiousity?

If its like the other hybrids I would have thought somewhere between 20k and 30k for the front with a decent brand

Alex

My Yaris hybrid has just done 27,000 and I have 4mm on both fronts. More on the backs. Yours is not right m8. If your tracking is that far out no wonder your mpg is impaired.