Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driving A Left Hand Drive Car In France

jayfree

I am only using this site because I have been an Avensis Owner for quite a few years and the advice received from you members has been sound.

I hope to go to France this year on holiday but instead of taking my own car this time I will need to hire a car when over there. It will however be first time I would have ever driven a left hand drive car.

I have driven in France for quite a few years in my own car but not IN in a left hand Drive car so whilst driving on the left hand side of the road is'nt really a problem........ but driving a left hand drive car, on the left hand side of the road might be, OR could be !

Can anyone WHO HAS give me a few tips or tell me the best way perhaps to approach it.

Thanks in advance

Ok so for me the wierd thing is that when I swap sides of the car and start using my right hand on the gearstick my feet want to swap over as well. Its very strange so I have to concentrate when I first get in or after a long period of relative inactivity such as motorway work.

Also road positioning can be a bit strange as you are used to looking at the road from the right hand side of the lane. Plenty of use of the wing mirrors will show you how your are positioned in your lane and you will soon adjust.

Start slowly and build up from there. Most people think they can just jump in and off they go. This probably won't affect you as you are already seeking advice. All the best.

Wait, don't they drive on the right hand side of the road?

I had a go once in the US, but I couldn't see the right hand side of the car which was very disconcerting. Fortunately it was one of the unlicensed roads (so we couldn't get caught for no insurance) I just watched the left hand side of the car; as long as I could see the centre line I knew I was ok on the right.

My dad is quite used to it, he could just jump into a car on the left hand side and drive straight off with very little adjustment.

Many thanks chaps. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Personally I have always found it much easier to drive a right hand drive car in France, I suppose the reason is you are already familiar with all the controls and only have to concentrate on the road. My biggest mistake driving in left hand drive cars in Europe is turning left at junctions, a few times I have turned left and stayed left, fortunately the roads were quiet and I or the wife realised the problem soon afterwards.

Thanks Whitewagon

but the car that I would be driving would be a Hire car which is why I am raising this as a possible

problem for me.

I cannot see the Hire Car companies in France hirnig out right hand drive cars.

Hiring an auto would take some stress away too since you instinctively reach down to the left for the gear lever in a LHD.

Thanks Whitewagon

but the car that I would be driving would be a Hire car which is why I am raising this as a possible

problem for me.

I cannot see the Hire Car companies in France hirnig out right hand drive cars.

No, but if you get a similar size car as the one you have and adjust the mirrors you should be fine.

Hiring an auto would take some stress away too since you instinctively reach down to the left for the gear lever in a LHD.

Totally agree with that, you can concentrate on the roads. Take a good sat nav too.

Many thanks to everyonefor your responses and I appreciate the interest very much and the advice.

I conclude that there is little doubt that it would be best to hire an automatic car out there to avoid gear changing etc which wod save a lot of possible fumbling about..

Thanks again , I am grateful to everyone . I think we can now close this subject.

All the best to all. Jayfree