Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Headlight Failure

patkin3

My daughter has a 2001 1.0 Yaris 80,000ml . Yesterday both of the headlights failed, all the other electrics/lights seem ok. I've checked the fuses on the right under the bonnet and they're all ok. I haven't checked the bulbs as surely both bulbs wouldn't fail at the same time? what else could it be?

Your help would be appreciated as she's a student nurse and needs her car daily.

Thanks in advance Paul.

Ouch! I hope it happened in a situation where it didn't cause any danger. Was there any other oddity at the time, perhaps a big pothole that could have shattered the filaments?

Otherwise, I would wait for someone else to post how to do a quick check of the voltages or just buy another couple of bulbs and hope that it was a freak occurrence.

David

No. She went out, parked up, and when she got back to her car the lights didn't work?

I can't believe both bulbs would fail simultaneously.

I agree - best to wait for someone who knows what they are doing to chip in!

David

If it is just the bulbs, this may provide the opportunity to fit upgrade bulbs and improve the lighting - eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=H4%20upgrade%20bulbs

No. She went out, parked up, and when she got back to her car the lights didn't work?

I can't believe both bulbs would fail simultaneously.

I can't believe both bulbs would fail simultaneously. I can, I have known this happen many times, the bulbs are probably the same age, so any shock or surge in current can blow them both. Another scenario is that if one bulb has blown the, driver may not notice, particularly if most of the driving is done on roads with good street lighting. If the fuses are OK test the bulbs.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Just thought of this: Has she checked that the dashboard lighting switches on when the dipped beam is selected? Wouldn't want to spend time and money on bulbs etc to find out it's a dodgy connection in the light stalk.

David

Thanks for the replies everyone. I turned out to be a double-bubble bulb failure after all.

I strongly suspect that she's been driving around on one lamp and didn't realise there was a problem until the second one failed.

Daughters... who'd have one....

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Cheers Paul.

ps She has her final qualification interview tomorrow. Who would put their life in the hands of someone who drives around in the dark...? :flowers:

Good to hear - I'm a doctor in the NHS and I know too well that nursing is a calling that you choose despite the pay, rather than because of it! Glad that the fix was cheap and quick.

And don't be too harsh on her. I might be driving almost exclusively on lit roads, but that is common, and I think it is unlikely that I would notice a failed bulb straight away. Now, driving with a strange noise for weeks on end, and then the engine eating itself? I'd be much less sympathetic. But wouldn't put it past me either!

David

Glad it was an easy solution. Good Luck to your daughter on her interview, We need nurses. Check lights frequently, it could mean life or death! remember the RSM's question, when did you last check all your equipment lad? Do it now!

Regards Geoff Peace.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links