Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2.0 Diesel 2003 T-Spirit Black Smoke Cloud Coming Out

bilon

Hello !

I'm new @ forum but I've been trying to fix issue with car in 4 different garages with no luck.

I have 2003 toyota avensis 2.0 diesel t-spirit. Car has increased diesel consumption ~8 litres/100km in town and 7-7,5 in open. But its not main complaint. Everytime I try to use acceleration more hard (around 3k rpm) it leaves huge cloud of black smoke behind. EGR was cleaned, oil/fuel/air filters and oil has been changed and still no improvement, maybe got a little bit more power after EGR was refreshed. Recently I also got TRC off and engine plus VSC lights on but cleared report. I don't know if it has something to deal with this black smoke from exhaust. Please help me as I don't know what to do and what is worse mechanics either - spent already 400 and got no improvement. It doesn't really bother me but I probably wouldn't pass CO2 emission tests. Car is not taking more oil than it should - I easily get 6k miles without pouring up oil.

Regards,

Peter

Hello Peter - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Hi, Welcome to the club... Enjoy :driving:

As I understand it to make the most power a diesel "over fuels".

That excess fuel doesn't burn properly as there's not enough oxygen to mix with it, So you get soot.

You're only using about 1/2 the oxygen to burn all the fuel.

More fuel to less oxygen equals more soot.

Hello !

I'm new @ forum but I've been trying to fix issue with car in 4 different garages with no luck.

I have 2003 toyota avensis 2.0 diesel t-spirit. Car has increased diesel consumption ~8 litres/100km in town and 7-7,5 in open. But its not main complaint. Everytime I try to use acceleration more hard (around 3k rpm) it leaves huge cloud of black smoke behind. EGR was cleaned, oil/fuel/air filters and oil has been changed and still no improvement, maybe got a little bit more power after EGR was refreshed. Recently I also got TRC off and engine plus VSC lights on but cleared report. I don't know if it has something to deal with this black smoke from exhaust. Please help me as I don't know what to do and what is worse mechanics either - spent already 400 and got no improvement. It doesn't really bother me but I probably wouldn't pass CO2 emission tests. Car is not taking more oil than it should - I easily get 6k miles without pouring up oil.

Regards,

Peter

I have a 2004 avensis d4d, mine was smoking under acceleration. I used this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BG244-BG-244-Pro-Diesel-Fuel-System-Injector-Cleaner-Funnel-/221173617951?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item337ef9951f

oh and a genuine fuel filter wouldn't harm her. I don't feel that the aftermarket are up to scratch but others may disagree.

Get a bottle of forte diesel treatment, add it to half a tank of diesel, take it on the motorway and give it a good blast.

Should sort it hopefully.

Maybe you have cleaned the EGR valve but is it working correctly, also did you clean out the manifold. Getting TRC off and VSC lights is a classic case of a faulty EGR due to the ECU getting a fault message from the throttle control and then the cars ECU then thinks it may become out of control. Stick a bottle of Forte diesel additive or BG244 into half a tank of diesel and take the car out for good fast long drive at over 3k revs to clear the crap out, some mechanics will even put raw Forte into the fuel filter in extreme cases.

Regards Pete.

Get a bottle of forte diesel treatment, add it to half a tank of diesel, take it on the motorway and give it a good blast.

Should sort it hopefully.

Funny how great minds think alike ... I was just typing the same thing :thumbsup: .

Pete.

Hi thanks for very warm greetings and fast response. As to diesel treatment : tried to add some improvements to diesel but it didn't really work. Mechanic told me to use it at least for 3 months but I think its not the issue and it suppose to clean it easily with one bottle but it didn't so I quit. Do you have any other ideas what could it be ? Cheerio,

P

I also have a mercedes with a 2.2 diesel engine. I had a similar problem with that. Check injector seals to make sure one or more of the injectors isnt chuffing/leaking. Also clean maf sensor.

@My first toyota

Yep that sensor has been cleaned by last folk who was struggling with my car in his garrage. As to injector seals - after using degreaser they actually start to leak after few minutes with engine on (2 of them more than others)

Thats probably the cause of poor fuel economy.

You need to get them re-sealed. I had mine done on my mercedes. Its a full days job and cost about £50-£60 per injector.

@My first toyota

Yep that sensor has been cleaned by last folk who was struggling with my car in his garrage. As to injector seals - after using degreaser they actually start to leak after few minutes with engine on (2 of them more than others)

Leaking injector seals will result in a lack of compression on the bores with the injector seals leaking, the car will detect this and compensate in those cylinders by increasing fuel supply to try and improve the lack of power / compression, this in turn will result in large amounts of poorly burnt fuel, resulting in soot and smoke from the exhaust.

Also poor combustion in the cylinder bores can cause long term damage to cylinder linings / pistons as the combustion is so poor it can actually burn holes through pistons etc ( this is why Toyota recalled 3.0 d4d for faulty injector seals as they destroyed engines )

• Like 1

Would be in agreement about the injectors. might be worth getting them re-conditioned. Also, are you getting your diesel from the same garage?