Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi Everyone, A Little Help With A 'growling' Avensis After Pre

James4444

Hi,

I 'm a first time Avensis owner having been driving VW Golf and BMW tourers in the past - the bigger boot and cheap running costs appealed. I have just picked up a 56 2.2 D4D 95k with one company owner regularly serviced.

The first thing I noticed was that at low speeds around town or slowing down for junctions i can hear a short lived buzzing/vibrating growl type noise that sounds a bit like a vibrating plastic cover or something though it only does it briefly just after releasing the accelerator and it doesnt do it when in neutral despite reaching the same revs. I would have thought that if it was a vibrating plastic cover or similar that would happen whenever the engine vibrations got to the relevant point and i wonder whether the fact it only does it when i press and release the accelerator in gear means its something more sinister. If in 4th at 40mph I push the pedal to the floor and release again just afteer releasing i can hear it - its as long as a 'groooaan' and a silimar type of tone (although its more of a hum/growl) it sounds lower as it drops off - as I can make it do it at higher speeds it doesnt seem to be related to revs and general engine vibration.

The only other thing i notice which may be related (or may be because im used to gear ratios in a 130 VW TDI) - when i push the accelerator in any gear not a great deal happens and i'm finding that i'm flooring it to get up to a decent speed - is this simply due to the fact that the ratios are set up more for cruising and i need to adopt a more sedate driving style? that question is likely to be a little subjective but i couldnt say whether there has been a power loss or whether it simply is a little underpowered generally - i went for the 2.2 because i'd read that it was a relatively spirited engine - this one doesnt seem to be. I'm back off to the dealer to see what his mechanics say about it but any views from experienced Toyota owners would be appreciated.

many thanks

James

Hi, Welcome to the club... Enjoy :driving:

Moved to the Avensis forum for more informed answers ;)

I had a similar problem with my Avensis. If it's the same one, it's easy to fix. It was related to the foam rubber 'collar' which connects the air intake to the air filter box. I understand it's a common problem - try googling it. It perishes over time and then causes a vibration at certain engine speeds. I fixed mine with a simple self-tapping screw but I guess you might be able to get the correct part from a dealer. My fix has been fine for 2 years. Good luck.

Probably as Luthier posted.

Re. performance - the turbo doesn't really start coming into effect until ~1800rpm.

Also, Toyota's ECU map seems to restrict power output at least in 1st gear (presumably to protect DMF, tyres etc,) so that it isn't the quickest off the line but mid-gear acceleration should be good.

Maybe it's just because it isn't a peaky power delivery you just aren't noticing it, perhaps as you say you haven't been matching the gears to the power/torque delivery or perhaps your car isn't producing full power for some reason?

1 other thing that you should be aware of is the potential head-gasket issue on these engines as expounded in the sticky at the top of the Avensis forum (& also in the RAV forum).

I don't want to scare you as probably under 5% develop it but it's something that you should be aware of.

Other than that, the notchy 1st/2nd shift especially when cold & the understeering handling due to the heavy engine the T25 Avensis is a nice car.

Great advice - very much appreciated, thank you. I have just been out in it again and managed to make the noise in neutral so hopefully ot will be the air intake/filter collar - i'll have a look.

Thanks for the info Heidfirst, that is allaying my fears slightly about turbo issues so hopefully i just need to get used to the car a bit and find where the sweet spots are. Though I did just go for a test run up a dual carriageway through the gears on a nice straight bit and it gets up to 80 with some persuasion but relatively smoothly then the power just tapers away - again this may be because of the 330d i've had and my expectations are too high but even the 1.9 2001 mk4 Golf is still relatively eager to push on beyond 80 - not that i need to speed everywhere but i wondered if that was normal.

Thanks again (i'll post in the avensis section as suggested next time)

I don't know that comparing a 2006 2.2 D4D (150BHP) against a 330D (201BHP) is a fair comparison ... ;)

My 2007 2.2 D4D Tourer would comfortably push on past an indicated 80 (it's supposed to be capable of nearly 130mph where allowed) so your car should too.

I don't know that comparing a 2006 2.2 D4D (150BHP) against a 330D (201BHP) is a fair comparison ... ;)

My 2007 2.2 D4D Tourer would comfortably push on past an indicated 80 (it's supposed to be capable of nearly 130mph where allowed) so your car should too.

In 3rd gear as well! :spiteful:

mmm, 3rd tops out a lot sooner than 80 on mine! i tried it again last night on a dual carriageway, admittedly up an incline, warm engine, in the outside lane probably about a mile stretch it crept from 45 to 75 in 4th then 5th (6th had nothing at all - foot to the floor at 75 and zero increase in speed - 5th barely made any difference) it would have got to 80 if i'd had another 400yards but i was quite surprised as over almost a mile, even up a gradual hill, i would not have expected a 2.2 diesel to struggle to get to 80 especially with just me in the car and no luggage - maybe if it was full to the gunnels with a roof box on. I'm wondering if it could be the EGR valve or possibly blocked filters? Though i got 52mpg on the way in today on A roads which would point away from those being the culprit?

The torque figures for the car are reasonable. What would you say is the power band for these engines; 1800 - 2500rpm?

James

I am new member to with 56-plate Avenis tourer. Mine growled on test drive, it was fixed before delivery, and it was the the air intake/filter collar. Hope it's fixed.

mmm, 3rd tops out a lot sooner than 80 on mine! i tried it again last night on a dual carriageway, admittedly up an incline, warm engine, in the outside lane probably about a mile stretch it crept from 45 to 75 in 4th then 5th (6th had nothing at all - foot to the floor at 75 and zero increase in speed - 5th barely made any difference) it would have got to 80 if i'd had another 400yards but i was quite surprised as over almost a mile, even up a gradual hill, i would not have expected a 2.2 diesel to struggle to get to 80 especially with just me in the car and no luggage - maybe if it was full to the gunnels with a roof box on. I'm wondering if it could be the EGR valve or possibly blocked filters? Though i got 52mpg on the way in today on A roads which would point away from those being the culprit?

The torque figures for the car are reasonable. What would you say is the power band for these engines; 1800 - 2500rpm?

That's not how it should be - something is wrong with your car.

There is a torque curve diagram available for that engine somewhere on the internet (can't remember where atm) but yes, it's not a very large range for max..

I have noticed a big improvement in my 54 plate 2.0 d4d by having it terra cleaned at the last service. It costs about a £100 but is well worth it. The car feels smoother, more responsive and less sluggish.

Hope this helps.

If the car is under warranty i'd be getting them to look at it. Don't mean to be a doom and gloom merchant, but i'd keep in mind the clutch. Is it revving out in gear quite quickly (what's your revs at cruising speed) Hope it isn't mate :)

I have a t27 2ltr dsl and it is fairly responsive

regarding the growling .... my 2004 D-4D had the same issue, after I changed the air filter last time... it turned out to be the foam padding between the box inlet and the pipe going into the inner wing.

I added some of the old fashioned sticky backed foam window insulation, seems like a perfect fit and not heard the problems again.

Note, as it is on the inlet to the box, it doesn't impact the car performance, just makes the annoying noise.