Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Toyota Auris Indicator Problem


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

This is my first post so please bear with me!

I have a 2007 Toyota Auris 2.0 D-4-D which has been a great car from day one. Recently I have noticed an issue with my indicators, when I push the indicator stalk up to signal a right turn the indicator briefly turns on then off again (with the indicator still in the up position). To get the indicator to stay on I need to either push the stalk up more or hold it in the up position (not great when I'm going round a roundabout!). The same problem happens when I'm turning left but it isn't as bad (doesn't happen as often).

After a bit of searching I've found references to problems with fuses or flash units? I don't think the problem is fuse related because the indicators are turning on both from using the indicator stalk and hazards. It might be the flash unit but I don't know what the function of that is, other than it's a relay so perhaps the relay is on the way out and is only coming in intermittently?

If anyone has had or heard of this issue, I'd appreciate it if you could explain how it was resolved. Also, does anyone have a schematic that shows how to remove the indicator stalk or how to access the flash unit so I can have a bash at taking them out and checking them this weekend?

Thanks to all for any help offered.

Best regards,

Niall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Niall - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

No schematic, but the following topics cover the indicator relay and the steering column shrouds;

Indicator relay - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/122564-indicator-relay/?hl=%2Bindicator+%2Brelay

Steering column shrouds - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/113422-removing-shrouds/?hl=%20indicator%20%20relay

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike.

I'll try to locate the indicator relay and attempt to determine if it's faulty. Accessing the indicator stalk itself seems like something that is outwith my abilities (don't fancy tampering with the airbag!!).

Thanks again for your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I too have this same problem with a 2008 Auris that has less than 10,000 miles on the clock. It only seemed to start a couple of months ago after I collected it from a service. If anyone can determine the cause and an easy fix I'd be grateful for your knowledge.

Thanks

Phann

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

Today, I received a message from Igor Sobreira via TOC (see below) with a fix for this common Toyota Auris problem. It means removing the indicator arm, although he has produced a video showing how it is done. Once removed it is just a small matter of cleaning a couple of dirty contacts ... quite simple, really. However, for me it was too late because I took my car back to the dealer, Ron Brooks of Ilkeston Derby's, who promptly told me that they had never heard of this problem before and apparently replaced the unit at a cost of £150.00. Having watched this video, I now feel like I have been well and truly fleeced. 

Igor sobreira said:

Hello everyone it seems to be a really common problem I just repaired mine 2008 Auris with the same problem and made a video about it, it should be able to help i show where the relay is located and relay spec, the indicator stalk mechanism has a contact that needs to be cleaned and bent and that should resolve the problem, I hope it helps good luck ...https://youtu.be/yA99sryDDBE

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 6:06 PM, Phann said:

Hello everyone,

Today, I received a message from Igor Sobreira via TOC (see below) with a fix for this common Toyota Auris problem. It means removing the indicator arm, although he has produced a video showing how it is done. Once removed it is just a small matter of cleaning a couple of dirty contacts ... quite simple, really. However, for me it was too late because I took my car back to the dealer, Ron Brooks of Ilkeston Derby's, who promptly told me that they had never heard of this problem before and apparently replaced the unit at a cost of £150.00. Having watched this video, I now feel like I have been well and truly fleeced. 

Igor sobreira said:

Hello everyone it seems to be a really common problem I just repaired mine 2008 Auris with the same problem and made a video about it, it should be able to help i show where the relay is located and relay spec, the indicator stalk mechanism has a contact that needs to be cleaned and bent and that should resolve the problem, I hope it helps good luck ...https://youtu.be/yA99sryDDBE

I wouldn't feel fleeced personally, I've not had this problem with a Toyota but I have previously with a Citroën and a VW and in both cases the 'official' dealer solution was to replace the entire unit, when I was able to fix the problem by simply cleaning the contacts.

In fairness to main dealers if you're paying someone else to fix something its often more cost effective to replace an entire component than it is for them to muck about cleaning the old one, at high labour rates, which may or may not fix the problem anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone, 

I'm planning to have a go at Igors video this weekend, but not sure how to go about removing the steering wheel and shroud. Can anyone provide any guidance/instructions?  I saw Igors video, but it sort of skipped that bit.

Will I need to disconnect the Battery, since the airbag is in the wheel?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't be specific, but I would have thought that Haynes (assuming there is one for your vehicle) would cover how to gain access?

My experience with a similiar problem on an older Citroen with airbag was definitely to disconnect the Battery.  There might have also been a need to leave everything after switching off ignition etc to allow all circuits to shut down.

Picking up on earlier comments, although I at first managed to repair the Citroen's indicator switch, it didn't last, and I subsequently replaced it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

Can't be specific, but I would have thought that Haynes (assuming there is one for your vehicle) would cover how to gain access?

My experience with a similiar problem on an older Citroen with airbag was definitely to disconnect the battery.  There might have also been a need to leave everything after switching off ignition etc to allow all circuits to shut down.

Picking up on earlier comments, although I at first managed to repair the Citroen's indicator switch, it didn't last, and I subsequently replaced it.

Notoyboy,

Sorry I'm new to this forum, so could be misunderstanding something.   Is Haynes a user or some other online resource.

I've got a Auris 2007.  Will be replacing the whole stalk, provided by the dealer who sold car to us with fault.

I don't think it's too hard to do, but would like to have an idea before jumping in.

 

Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haynes is a publisher, which produces (sort of) workshop manuals for popular cars.  I say "sort of" because in recent years with cars becoming more complex, the manuals do not cover everything in the detail that they did in the past.  Whenever I change cars, I buy the appropriate manual.  Hopefully there's one covering your model (was there a model revamp around 2007?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hakimdjz said:

Will be replacing the whole stalk, provided by the dealer who sold car to us with fault.

when did you buy the car? If within the last 6 months then get them to fix it (they are liable).

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

when did you buy the car? If within the last 6 months then get them to fix it (they are liable).

Hi,

This Monday!

I noticed on the way home on day of sale, which I still can't believe how I missed it on the test drive.  They "passed" the MOT same day.  It's a 2.30hr journey back to the dealer, wait for repair and then 2.30hr back, so not really up for it at the moment.  But if it gets too complicated, I'll bring it to a local garage. 

Car came with 6 month warranty, but since it happened on the day of sale, the warranty company said it's highly unlikely to be covered. 

The dealer was Gerry Hills in Wales, just to warn anyone who's thinking of heading there in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hakimdjz said:

Car came with 6 month warranty, but since it happened on the day of sale, the warranty company said it's highly unlikely to be covered. 

Forget the warranty company - under the Consumer Goods Act 2015 the dealer is liable for faults (up to 6 months) with the vehicle that were present at the time it was sold even though they may only become apparent later on.

However, they are likely to want to do it themselves rather than pay somebody else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Forget the warranty company - under the Consumer Goods Act 2015 the dealer is liable for faults (up to 6 months) with the vehicle that were present at the time it was sold even though they may only become apparent later on.

However, they are likely to want to do it themselves rather than pay somebody else.

Thanks for that.  To be fair, they're sending the replacement part, but I don't want to pay a garage to do the installation, which they should be paying for.  I don't know how I can get them to pay for it.  Would you recommend I call them and mention the consumer goods act and say they're responsible for the cost of fixing it as well?  Seeing it was an authorised Toyota dealer, you'd think they could refer me to a dealer near me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hakimdjz said:

Seeing it was an authorised Toyota dealer, you'd think they could refer me to a dealer near me.

Presumably the warranty is from a third party (ie not Toyota), so the selling dealer referring you to another Toyota dealer isn't going to sort the issue as the second Toyota dealer, as with any garage, will still want to be paid for doing the work. The responsibility for correcting the issue is still Gerry Hills, which includes parts and labour.

Why did you buy the car from so far away?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably the warranty is from a third party (ie not Toyota), so the selling dealer referring you to another Toyota dealer isn't going to sort the issue as the second Toyota dealer, as with any garage, will still want to be paid for doing the work. The responsibility for correcting the issue is still Gerry Hills, which includes parts and labour.

Why did you buy the car from so far away?

Saw it on AutoTrader and had good specs and thought the price was reasonable. Apart from the indicators, the car is fine.  23k, 2007, full service history from Toyota and 1 owner.  Couldn't find anything as good local. 

I'm going to call them again today and see what can be done about getting it fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...