Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miles And Miles

Instar

well just done 10000 miles in 4 months and I'm really surprised how well the little city car has held up! Had it serviced where it didn't have any advisories and still 5mm of tread on the tires which is pretty good and a real world mpg of 52 mpg which im happy with as my driving is split 20% city 20% country lanes 60% motorway i think its a reasonable number.

Its looking good for keeping it for 100,000 miles currently on 32k. Planning on a few road trips to Europe in the summer which should be fun driving through the alps although some of the hills near church stretton i can only get up in 1st! :driving:

With all this bad weather we've been having it deals surprisingly well on flooded roads where Im not quite sure how it got through but it didn't let me down. Tbh i should have gone round it :dontgetit: Its got another 400 mile round trip tmw which it will take in its stride! Really looking forward to taking it to the alps!

Although cruise control would be a nice addition and some sound proofing for the back but considering the designers didn't expect it to do alot of miles each year its doing rather well!

• Like 2

Hi jack, welcome to the forum and to owning an iQ. They are such an underrated little car. Yes, they have issues, don't we all? If you can live with the restrictions these cars place on us, such as space, speed, handling etc., then it is clearly worth it. We live over in Marton, not that far from stinky Minsterley. When we lived in Bishops Castle we often visited Church Stretton and I can see why going up some of those hills would necessitate 1st gear. We have yet to go up on the Long Mynd in our iQ. Good luck with the trip up the Alps. If you look elsewhere on here someone else drove to the colder climes, not sure if it was Norway or somewhere. Maybe they might have some tips if you need any.

Regards, BobH.

Pfft, it's a jappy engine; Don't be afraid to rev it up! :lol:

The thing I love about the IQ is it's like being in an Avensis or something inside; 10,000 in 4 months!? If I tried that in my Yaris I'd be in hospital with a deformed spine :lol:

Just wish they did a version with the 1.4 D4D... :naughty:

But we may see a HSD version one day too! :lol:

• Like 1

The thing I love about the IQ is it's like being in an Avensis or something inside; 10,000 in 4 months!? If I tried that in my Yaris I'd be in hospital with a deformed spine :lol:

They do a 1.4D in other parts of Europe. Don't know why it's not available in the UK?

Instar,

That is some serious mileage in 4 months, but as you know the iQ is very capable :)

They do a 1.4D in other parts of Europe. Don't know why it's not available in the UK?

:eek:

Damnit Toyota!

Tbh i generally do a high mileage but for my budget the IQ was the best all rounder as banger economics didn't stack up favorably. I do give it some revs and it sits happily in the fast lane till theirs a hill! Great little motor and its good to be different. Hopefully itll see me through to 100,000 miles with just consumables being replaced as that's what my previous mazda managed without fault. Its great putting 35-45 quids worth of fuel in the tank and being able to do 3-400 miles with ease although travelling through the tunnel with three of us in it the border officer didn't quite believe there was a third person in the back under all the luggage! :laughing:

• Like 1

Ahahaha! I must admit I wouldn't want to be the person at the back tho' - The illusion of space isn't nearly as good in the back :lol:

The suspension must be a lot better in the IQ; If you try that load in an Aygo it tends to bottom-out on larger bumps! :eek:

• Like 1

Just completed 54,000 miles in my 59 plate IQ2 Manual that I purchased from new.

Still on the original discs, pads and exhaust etc.

few more months and i may be at 54000 miles :driving: the best car ive had for mileage so far was 120,000 on a 57 plate mazda 2 i did 90000 of those over two years and other than brake pads and tyres all the rest was original so hopefully the IQ can not only match this but exceed it as well!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Instar, yes you are right.

These cracking little cars will handle the little bumps of the Alps no problem.

My IQ1 has handled them with no hiccup whatsoever. It is indeed lining up to take Norway on in a few months time, so I'm really keen for that.

If I can make a slight defence for the little fella. They do have issues, but what car doesn't. I haven't found a more comfortable seat for a long long time, admittedly altering your seating position throughout a journey may make it easier. But even by simply buying them £2 neck cushions goes a HUGE way.

It's a small car, but I genuinely feel that this little beauty is one of the best looking cars on the road. It's head and shoulders (literally!!) better than a Smart, not half as common as a Fiat 500 or on every corner like a BMW Mini. Exclusivity IS a good thing.

Love your IQ - and rev the hell out of it going up them steep hills !!!!!!

• Like 1

Re Miles & Miles perhaps I am an "old timer" in my views re Miles & Miles and after over 40+ years of motoring 120,000 miles for some of my previous cars was just after a couple of years, and I have come to expect 250,000 miles or far more without many problems other than consumables in the service.

Now days that seems to be considered a long way for some reason, ? they just don't make cars as well as they used too !

Now it's very different and I only do about 5000 miles per year in my IQ and I am expecting many many trouble free years in front of me ! Only time will tell !

Positive Regards, Bob.

• Like 1

I think its the fact that the IQ is so little and only has a 3 cylinder engine makes it feel or seam fragile.

I have and always will have it serviced at Toyota and will keep adding the ZX1, injection cleaner and cataclean.

• Like 1

I think its the fact that the IQ is so little and only has a 3 cylinder engine makes it feel or seam fragile.

I have and always will have it serviced at Toyota and will keep adding the ZX1, injection cleaner and cataclean.

Got some ZX1 today, adding it tomorrow. My wife was shocked at the price, asking if it would turn the car into gold! Some relief was felt by me when I told her it lasts 25,000 miles and even if the oil is changed it still does its job, plus there is enough for two treatments of our tiny iQ's. :thumbsup:

NOTE: Anyone else noticed a distinct lack of those little pics we have for Fuelly stats on here, as well as other 'tags?' Instead of my Fuelly stats I get 103703.png. WTF?

Hi Bob, good news. Not sure how much you paid for your ZX1 Oil Treatment but I get mine for £15 for 250ml off eBay and i believe its good for 30,000 miles. I treat my IQ2 every 12 months (12,500) miles and put the rest in my Audi (3,000) miles. I also add Redex injection cleaner every 6 months and at the same time add Cataclean I average 68mpg

• Like 1

Hi Bob, good news. Not sure how much you paid for your ZX1 Oil Treatment but I get mine for £15 for 250ml off EBay and i believe its good for 30,000 miles. I treat my IQ2 every 12 months (12,500) miles and put the rest in my Audi (3,000) miles. I also add Redex injection cleaner every 6 months and at the same time add Cataclean I average 68mph

DOH! E-Bay next time then, that will lessen the impact on my ears. I was going to go for the Cataclean too, but decided against it. My ears can only take so much. Actually my wife doesn't shout at me for stuff like that, but sometimes, the silence is worse. I mean, why should I feel guilty, I'm trying to make the car last longer and in the long run, save money. I used to use Redex in the late 70's, and recall an incident once when I first used it on my MkII Capri, which was in immaculate condition. The cloud of smoke from it when I poured some into the Carb, well, foggy was a word my Dad used when he came out to see what I had done, at least that's what I think he said. Clearly the engine needed it to clear out the crap. Those were the days of easier motoring. :driving:

I also use ZX1 plus a regular Cat Cleaner, plus I only use Shell V Power Nitro petrol, and since taking these actions my little 3cyl IQ engine runs much smoother that before !

• Like 1

Having seen the damage Slick-50 caused to a Land Rover gearbox I would never put friction modifiers anywhere near my cars. If they were that good manufacturers would be using them or oil companies would be adding it to their oils as standard.

Oils are made to do a specific job and engines are designed to use that oil. Don't mess with it.

Craig.

Well, installed the ZX1 on the 10th March. A trip to Barmouth, over the mountains and back on a lovely sunny if a little chilly day. At first I wondered if there was any difference, and then gradually I felt a new lightness to the cars responses. Acceleration, not necessarily an important one in a car like ours, seemed to be better, smoother even. I think that is likely the total of it, smoother running. The main thing I bought the stuff for was longevity, for the car. At the moment we intend to run it until the wheels are square -which may not be that far away with our crappy roads- or I rob a bank to get another one. So, square wheels it is then. I put the requisite amount in the fuel tank and another requisite amount in through the oil filler cap. 30ml and 150ml respectively if memory serves me right. I did wonder if it was causing a smell on our way to Barmouth, but some miles ahead we came across an old Austin, preceded by its light blue smoke trail. I had a dog !Removed! (can't put ****) coloured one in the early eighties... less said, soonest mended, and I spent some time mending it, and mending it, and mending it. Oh yes, also, the ZX1 has helped the mpg somewhat. I seem to be nearer the 60mpg mark more often, getting a good 62mpg on a trip up to Northwich on Wednesday.

Edited by Guest

Hi Bob, happy days. I bought my car from new and plan to run it for as long as I can that's why I look after it and treat it well. I have treated many cars over the years with ZX1 and swear by it, after all F1 teams use it so it must be good.

• 3 weeks later...

:eek:

Damnit Toyota!

If I remember rightly, my dealer said they decided not to do to the Diesel iQ in the UK because the market didn't fit. Running costs didn't add up right because of the higher cost of Diesel fuel in the UK,. Thanks to that they estimated not enough people would buy one to make it worth selling. The Aygo was available in Diesel for a while in the UK, but it looks like they stopped doing that one I think just before the iQ was launched for similar reasons.

There might also have been some EU legislation involved some place too making it unprofitable.

:-)

It was sold in ireland. I have a workshop manual for the Diesel

David