Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mystery Black (Tar?) Spots Appearing Again.

Truthseeker

Just noticed when cleaning both our white cars, that those pin-holed sized black spots have appeared again this year. They are covering the lower paintwork from the bottom of windows to the cills.

Did not see them until today, but as clear as day with my reading glasses on - hundreds of them!

It was discussed last Winter on other forums, and the opinion was it could be "molasses" that is mixed in with the road salt.

However, around here there has been no road salt put down at all this winter, so I am not convinced that was the cause.

They are only really noticeable on white/light coloured cars, so take a look next time you clean the car (with glasses if need be as much more noticeable).

Luckily they are fairly easily removed, but does require a bit of effort. I go over them with a soft rag dipped in white spirit - leave a few minutes so the (tar?) softens, then go over again to clear residue, then leather off and - "Hey Presto"!

Like to hear if anyone else's cars are affected and thoughts on possible causes.

We get a few on our cars. Currently they seem to show up more on our red Hyundai than the white Auris. - but that is probably more to do with the fact that the Hyundai is used more around town than the Auris. It does seem to have become more prevalent in and around Birmingham in the last three years or so. I use Autoglym tar remover.

Birmingham have a 25 year, £2.7 million contract with Amey for highways maintenance and road improvement, and it makes me wonder whether the repair techniques they use for the roads (including pothole repairs) have produced this greater degree of 'tar spotting'.

At one time when a pothole repair was done, the repair used to be sealed using a blowtorch type tool. Nowadays, we don't see this technique used.

... but I think they're using liquorice as the repairs don't seem to last.

Perhaps the spots aren't tar at all ....

• Like 2

... but I think they're using liquorice as the repairs don't seem to last.

Perhaps the spots aren't tar at all ....

My thoughts as well.

A case for Mulder & Scully I think.

The truth is out there...

As a cabbie :)

"Trust No One".

Have been watching the original series of the X-Files on Sky from the 80's, and forgot what a great programme it was - and the gorgeous Gillian Anderson was very easy on the eye.........."if only"!.

Fallout?

From what - Chernobyl? :laughing:

Seriously - not an issue removing them (white spirit/petrol/WD40 etc) - I just want to know what causes them.

Just general fallout (sh-t in airbourne particals) tar, sap, metal particles etc.PS remember white spirit will remove any protection you have on the car like wax.

Nothing on the roof or bonnet, just the sides and rear, so that would eliminate anything airborne - keep trying folks!

May be Shotgun Fungus (also called Artillery Fungus) spores

Have been watching the original series of the X-Files on Sky from the 80's, and forgot what a great programme it was - and the gorgeous Gillian Anderson was very easy on the eye.........."if only"!.

80's?!

It's not that old surely?! I remember watching it when I was in school, about 96ish.

And yes, Gillian Anderson....

The X-Files is an American science fiction horror drama television series created by Chris Carter.

The program originally aired from September 10, 1993

X-Files - my error. The 90's it was (1993) - still a great series.

It's my age/memory! :fireman:

I've had this stuff too, it kinda smeared into a brown streak (...) when I tried to clean it off. But a decent rub and then another go with a chammy and it came off. White spirit seems a bit drastic to me.