Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Box In Petrol Rav4

Hugothebear

Forgive me for display of ignorance here - exploring cars I can afford around 2005 2006 the older version has an auto box with overdrive which ( according to quoted specs ) is about as brisk as manual version.... On the newer model the performance seems much less perky ( again to quoted specs ).... So my simple question is why ? Is is a cvt gearbox from 2006 or a conventional type automatic without the overdrive gears ? And I suppose I am also curious to know if anybody out there has a 2006 on auto petrol... Does it feel sluggish to drive in real life ? Any info gratefully received :-) I will mostly be driving it with my two Newfies on board so whilst I am not looking to be sporty I don't want life to be too dull on the road :-)

We owned two 4.2 petrols with conventional torque converter autos, a 5-dr & a 3-dr. They performed brilliantly and I rate the engine/box combo on those cars amongst the best I've ever driven. I road tested a 4.3 petrol with the CVT box a while ago and, whilst I was expecting it not to be as good as the conventional system given everything that I'd read about CVT's, I was surprised to find its performance indistinguishable from the 4.2's.

I strongly suggest that you road-test a 4.3 petrol auto and decide for yourself - assuming you can find one, they are quite rare.

• Like 1

Thank you... Yes I guess is the problem, there are few available in the price range and near enough home to have tried the cvt auto for myself... I have to confess I wondered if that was because people loved them and kept them.... Or nobody liked them enough to buy so your post reassures me and I will look out for a decent one... Patiently :-)

Thank you... Yes I guess is the problem, there are few available in the price range and near enough home to have tried the cvt auto for myself... I have to confess I wondered if that was because people loved them and kept them.... Or nobody liked them enough to buy so your post reassures me and I will look out for a decent one... Patiently :-)

I'd suggest that you do an occasional national search in the Used Cars section of the Toyota GB website specifying petrol automatic more than 2 years old; that should isolate any that are in the dealer network. Admittedly you may end up with cars that are too far away but, on the other hand, you could get a local one or two popping up.

Good luck.