Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do I Buy A New Phone ?

DeePea

I'm a Yaris Hybrid (2012) owner and thought I'd buy a new phone and went to the Toyota bluetooth compatibility page to check if my chosen phone was compatible. It's not a particularly user friendly page but I persevered and found that the phone I'd chosen was not listed. (the list of phones does seem a bit dated) Now it might be that my chosen phone would work and it's just not been included in the compatibility list but how do I avoid buying a phone and trying it and possibly risking having a phone that won't work with the cars bluetooth. I know the easy answer is to buy a phone that is on the list but that means an awful lot of work to check all the phones on the compatibility list for the features I want in a phone.

Perhaps other owners who have experienced this dilemma could offer some help.

What phone is it you have ? Perhaps others have the same and might be able to confirm functionality ? I have a Nexus 4 and that works fine on my wife's 2012 Yaris TR.

That compatibility list will always be out of date, Toyota cannot keep pace with the myriad of phones and updates that come out daily

I have connected my iPhone 5 without any issues on Yaris and Auris models (all sorts of model variants)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi, thanks for the replies. The phone I'm looking at is a Fonerange Rugged Dual Sim, model FRRUGGEDV8 with bluetooth 2.0, Android 4.0.4 OS. It's hardly a "mainstream" phone but it does have all the features I'm looking for. So if anyone's out there using this phone with a Yaris Hybrid, please let me know if it's compatible.

I think I was fortunate when I bought the car as the phone I had at the time, a Samsung S5620, was on the Toyota compatibility table and has worked fine with the cars bluetooth.

Hi, thanks for the replies. The phone I'm looking at is a Fonerange Rugged Dual Sim, model FRRUGGEDV8 with Bluetooth 2.0, Android 4.0.4 OS. It's hardly a "mainstream" phone but it does have all the features I'm looking for. So if anyone's out there using this phone with a Yaris Hybrid, please let me know if it's compatible.

I think I was fortunate when I bought the car as the phone I had at the time, a Samsung S5620, was on the Toyota compatibility table and has worked fine with the cars Bluetooth.

Can't you take the phone to the car and test or vice versa, do you know someone with this phone ?

Or agree to buy the phone on the understanding that you could get a refund if it doesn't work with the vehicle.

Hi Raistin, thanks for the suggestions. I've not seen this phone in the shops and intended buying it from an internet seller. I've done a quick search and don't see any high street outlets that might have the phone. I can't see any internet shop agreeing to let me unpack and test the phone and then allowing me to return it if it does not work with the car. I'll persevere with trying to find a high street seller that might stock the phone.

I don't know anyone who has this phone, I wish I did as that would solve the problem.

One benefit of having smartphone OSes now is that there are actually very few versions for the car to deal with. Yes, the obscure type of phone throws up the possibility that it won't work, but even when it comes to bluetooth chipsets, there are very few as well. My bet is that it would work, at least for the essential functions.

If you still don't want to take the risk, does Amazon carry the phone (Amazon themselves, not marketplace)? Any internet seller has to offer free return within 7 days if in original condition, but Amazon are known to be very good with accepting returns. Some abuse that policy, but your situation is exactly what it was meant for.

David

Hi David, I think your right about it probably working, I'd just like to make sure before committing to buy the phone. I do seem to have a knack of being able to buy devices that have compatibility issues (my Android tablet won't work with Virgin's TV Anywhere)

I did have a look at Amazon, in fact my previous post has a link to the phone on Amazon but unfortunately it's provided by Prepaymania and not Amazon direct so can't take advantage of Amazons generous returns policy.

I guess I have a choice to make, either take the risk and buy it or amend my phone choice to something that's been tested for connectivity.

I guess if you see the phone on eBay then it did not work with the Yaris bluetooth....

David

I am sure that it would be worth a phone call to them to ask.

You have nothing to lose but the price of a call...