Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dilemma!

cute c

hi all, first post.

Got a 2010 t4 prius with leather seats,privacy glass,smart entry,side strips,cruise etc.

18000 miles and vgc. Question, Can get a t3 63 plate 900 miles only for extra £4700 cost to change.

Is it worth buying for the extra 3 years warranty over mine? also mine has 1year left of a 5 year warranty, but can add 2 years dealer warranty for £550.

so 3 year newer car with extra warranty but lower spec for £4700. please offer any advice you can.

if it helps I do about 7=8000 miles per year.

also is black a good prius colour?

Hi, Welcome to the club... Enjoy :driving:

I would stick with your better specified vehicle ( better the devil you know ) and extend the warranty

Not in my humble opinion. £4700 buys a lot of extended warranty. Although I don't like 17" wheels, the T4 and T-Spirit have had a more reliable steering mechanism...so far. Your T4 is tricked out, going for a base car, yuck.

Black paint only looks good when the car is very clean, and black shows the dirt, so you'll be cleaning the car every couple of days.

I know nothing about the right time to change a car.

Think at the end of the day, only you can decide whether or not changing your car now is the right way forward for you.

Which of the equipment on your current car will you miss by going for a newer though lesser spec vehicle, and will any of the missing equipment be a deal breaker?

The 2 year dealer warranty for £550 doesn't sound as though it is a Toyota extended warranty - how do the two compare in terms of cover and cost?

As regards black - we've had a metallic black car and a pearlescent black - both showed every little mark and scratch, and we wouldn't go for another. However that is our opinion - maybe not yours.

Thanks for replies. More are welcome. Re. extras I would miss cruise control and a leather steering wheel the most. Although I would gain new smaller15 inch tyres, multimedia touch and go screen and rear parking camera. I suppose £ 4700 could go towards new 4th generation prius in a couple if years. Cost to change would be massive tho when my 2010 is 6 years old!

Personally i'd stick with the car you have and probably not take out the extended warranty unless it is from a Toyota main dealer. It sounds like it is from one of these warranty firms, the sort that advertise on the telly, trying to get these 'extra' companies to pay up is almost impossible where as Toyota seem much more willing to honour their warranty, so either double check of simply just don't take it out as Toyota's are pretty reliable anyway in my personal opinion.

It's your call but like i say personally i would keep your existing car and investigate the warranty, personally i would not extend it but if for you gives you peace of mind then look at it more.

Agree with the above comments - I'd stick with what you've got. Black is definitely NOT a good colour in most folks eyes, and you'd lose a lot of the niceties that come with the better model. Also your present car is hardly run in yet at 18K miles and sounds a lovely example (I have same model/year as you but have 40K on clock).

And also depends of course on what laying out £4700 means to you.

Oh - and you'd also lose the full length centre armrest on the 63 plate car, I believe :disgust:.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1

I would avoid a black car. Your car is low mileage and I think I would keep it for now. The new Gen 4 should be out in the not too distant future let us hope it comes with spare wheel, electric folding mirrors etc. My car is coming to 3 years old and has 12,000 miles on the clock I have considered PX but with the Auris Battery problems, the plug in Prius with no spare wheel and the Gen 4 coming my best option seems to keep my present car for now.

If you go for the extended warranty, make sure it is the Official Toyota Extended Warranty. They cover the hybrid parts and HV Battery. Something you would need to double and triple check with any other extended warranty product. You also get Toyota Roadside Assistance included.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/insurance-and-warranty/extended-warranty

• Like 1

I paid £650 for two years extended Toyota warranty (after a light bit of haggling with the dealer) which was unlimited mileage and other extras (breakdown cover, free MOT, etc.)