Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Coolant Problems

gary mcc

hi,all new to this hope you can help,

i have a toyota avensis 57 plate that has had coolant problems and toyota have replaced the engine .... happy days as i am a taxi driver BUT 18 months down the line after 77,000 miles on new engine i have the SAME problem if not worse.coolant coming out of overflow pipe on expansion tank... any ideas PLEASE

It sounds like the same fault - cylinder head gasket. Odd that it should happen a second time. Did the garage replace the whole engine or rebuild the top part (pistons, head, head gasket, EGR etc)?

the garage replaced the whole engine rang them up about the problem but says its out of the 12 month warranty

Are you sure that the full engine was replaced and not just the cylinder head ?

It's extremely strange to have the same fault again on a different complete engine but would be very explainable on the original block.

I take it you now have a different engine number since the engine was completely replaced. If not as I suspect just the cylinder head was replaced.

no the whole engine was replaced by toyota newcastle road sunderland

Well I haven't come across this situation before. The only thing I can suggest is to get onto Toyota UK and tell them that, having rectified the fault with a new engine, it has happened again and that you are extremely disappointed and ask them to sort it out for you. Stick to your guns and you may get somewhere - it is not in their interests to spoil their reputation for the sake of one engine.

the car has 171,000 miles in total .... but 77,000 on new engine .... have been in touch with toyota sunderland and they say there is nothing there can do because its out of warranty and the services that have been done at garages that need to be VAT registered and because ive been buying my service equipment for a auto discount shop ....they say it may not be the right equipment as it needs to be toyota approved ....

and thanks for your replies my friends

X-TECH 5W-30 fully synthetic triple QX

the car has 171,000 miles in total .... but 77,000 on new engine .... have been in touch with toyota sunderland and they say there is nothing there can do because its out of warranty and the services that have been done at garages that need to be VAT registered and because ive been buying my service equipment for a auto discount shop ....they say it may not be the right equipment as it needs to be toyota approved ....

and thanks for your replies my friends

Your now on your own.

Rule number 1, but good parts buy branded parts,

I would suggest getting the engine refurbed / replaced.

You need to get it fixed before it overheats.

X-Tech is Commas oil no?

5w30 fully synthetic Triple QX should have been fine, as far as I know their 5w30 fully synthetic oils are low ash. What engine have you got buddy?

his profile says 2007 2.0 D4D so unlikely to have a DPF (needing low ash).

Ah right, sorry viewing on an iPhone so I can't see the profiles - you are right prob doesn't need low ash oil with the car not having a dpf - but I'm betting a low ash oil would reduce the carbon build up which is part of the problem.

Ah right, sorry viewing on an iPhone so I can't see the profiles - you are right prob doesn't need low ash oil with the car not having a dpf - but I'm betting a low ash oil would reduce the carbon build up which is part of the problem.

Three issues here;

one.

The engine is out of warranty and toyota / dealers may offer some good will gesture towards the labour. I dont think he will get anything. as long as the car has not overheated the headgasket is a pretty easy job and most decent garages will be able to fix it.

Just make sure your oil cooler has not split, its at the rear of the engine.

two

The generic issues with 1ad-ftv and 2ad-ftv are pretty straight forward.

The oil jets get bunged on the pistons by carbon build up

This increases the cylinder tempratures up which causes the EGT to go up

The ecu compensates by sticking in more fuel to try and cool the engine down.

The EGR valve and cat convertor get blocked up and cause back pressure.

This cycle keeps going around, and the headgasket gives up.

Toyota addressed these issues with three"fixes". Piston designed changed / uprated part number

and headgasket was thickend and made stronger, ecu flash was also done.

BUT read number three.

Three

I feel not all of the issues have been fixed and these cars do not last long if driven at granddad pace.

If you do not drive these cars hard and they are unable up to temprature to get rid of the crap in the

exhaust system you will have issues.

Key things to learn.

1- drive it like you stole it.

2 - maintain the exhaust system correctly.

3 - dont use cheap fuel and fuel filters.

• Like 1

Agree totally...but driving them hard kind of defeats the point of buying a diesel in the first place...for economy!!!

i value everything you,ve said about my car thank you,but as a taxi and doing more or less 1,000 miles a week, the car was regularly service ie every 8 weeks...and it certainly wasnt cradled ...and a family friend owns a auto discount shop and i certainly didnt use cheap or crappy parts or oil ....but surely these new toyota engines should last more than 77,000 miles and what is better to prove a car and its reliablity than a taxi ....customer service from TOYOTA is a disgrace as they just well really dont want to know ... THANK YOU AGAIN

Hi

hi,all new to this hope you can help,

i have a toyota avensis 57 plate that has had coolant problems and toyota have replaced the engine .... happy days as i am a taxi driver BUT 18 months down the line after 77,000 miles on new engine i have the SAME problem if not worse.coolant coming out of overflow pipe on expansion tank... any ideas PLEASE

I just want to clarify some thing...

You have had your car for 18 months, assuming the car has done 1,000 miles a week and 4 weeks in a month, so..

18x4 = 72 months

72x 1000 = 72,000 miles.

or have you had it longer and had the replacment engine for 18 months ?

i value everything you,ve said about my car thank you,but as a taxi and doing more or less 1,000 miles a week, the car was regularly service ie every 8 weeks...and it certainly wasnt cradled ...and a family friend owns a auto discount shop and i certainly didnt use cheap or crappy parts or oil ....but surely these new toyota engines should last more than 77,000 miles and what is better to prove a car and its reliablity than a taxi ....customer service from TOYOTA is a disgrace as they just well really dont want to know ... THANK YOU AGAIN

I am a taxi driver and have been driving since I have been a little laddy!... Taxi miles are heavy miles on the car, the car is always running, your always going alittle quicker to get to your next fare. Hands on heart 8,000 miles is too long a service interval on taxis.

8,000 miles is probably 12k mileage for a normal driver! .. Doing this kind of mileage i can only assume eighter the car is a company car, or shared between two drivers. You should be servicing more often and i know it all adds up and increases the mileage running costs BUT atleast the dam thing is still running.

I service my Taxi every 4 to 5,000 thousand miles. Where possible i try and use genuine parts and branded parts.

My suggestion to you would be to get it fixed before it gets to a point where you keep overheating the bolock and make it porus.

Whilst you at it, you might aswell strip the entire engine down and rehone the block, replace the piston rings. clean the pistons with parfin / degraser and the rest of the engine.

I know how you feel mate, an engine should really be lasting 300k, if not more but these engines have issues and I am sorry you have been lumped with the bad one again.

we have around half of the fleet with 1ad-ftv engines, all of them have been in for a recall, all around similar miles 80>100k, all of them have had replacment engine blocks, pistons, headgaskets etc. Since then the drivers have changed the way the cars are being driven and how they are being services and touch wood all is going well.

The germans / vws have had camshaft faliure, oil pump faliures, crank shaft issues, and lots of turbo and injector issues. I dont work for Toyota, nor do i own shares, I am not an engineer, I only speak what I see and hear.

I rather had a car that will eat miles and may have an issue with the head gasket than be worried if the camshaft will explode on the motorway or is the engine getting enough oil.

When I do replace my taxi and i will have to sooner rather than later it will be a prius.

hi,mate thank you for your reply and ive had the car over 18 months and had the engine replaced around 18 months ago...i value your reply and to be honest i would never evr have another TOYOTA ... AGAIN ... AND that is a good advertisement for TOYOTA and there CUSTOMER CARE ....

hi,mate thank you for your reply and ive had the car over 18 months and had the engine replaced around 18 months ago...i value your reply and to be honest i would never evr have another TOYOTA ... AGAIN ... AND that is a good advertisement for TOYOTA and there CUSTOMER CARE ....

ok brill,

are you having it repaired ?

cmia,

NO im certainly not NO just incase it happens again cant trust them now... always be driving waiting for it to happen again ... BUT i value your expect valulations my friend thank you so much ... i,d rather scrap it than repair it .... THANK YOU TOYOTA

I feel for you mate, I really do - but any another manufacturer would have washed their hands of such a failure at just under 100k, yes the replacement shouldn't have went so early but the car has over 170,000 miles now, that's prob 16 years average driving plus that fact that they don't know how the car was maintained. They have to draw the line somewhere. That said I agree I'd be wary about buying a 2nd hand AD engine, god knows how long it would last.

thank you blackcts a valued opinion thank you so much ... but can i just say my car ie every car in 25 years of taxi-ing are serviced regularly and maintained to a high spec .... but hey your comments are invaluable thank you so much

thank you blackcts a valued opinion thank you so much ... but can i just say my car ie every car in 25 years of taxi-ing are serviced regularly and maintained to a high spec .... but hey your comments are invaluable thank you so much

The question is.. how good are the rest of the manufactures compared to Toyota.