Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lock The Doors Automatically?

Gomoca

Hello Gomoca,

I had exactly the same need, and I found The solution:

All you need is plugging a small dongle in the OBD (diagnostic) plug under the driving wheel.

This device communicates on the CAN bus to check your speed, and it will automatically lock your doors when you reach 10 mph.

Whenever you stop the engine, or in case of a huge deceleration (accident), it automatically unlocks the doors.

Of course, the manual button is still functional at any moment, as well as the internal door handles.

I am using this device on my IQ and I love it.

I bought it for 19 euros (with freight) on :

http://www.cubikts.co.uk/wholesale/obd2-can-bus-speed-lock-device-for-toyota-nissan.html#na_write_rev

Hope this info can help you.

Christophe

Mod Edit

This web link has been corrected as it was showing as unavailable (404)...

• Like 2

Hello

This is a great find I have ordered one. The OBDII sockets holds many secrets. I run my Heads Ip display from it.

Thanks again

David

Yes, it is amazing what can be done with this socket.

I already have 2 splitters on it, to connect several gadgets (cruise control, accurate fuel gauge and this auto lock device).

Cruise control? Have you got any information on the system you used as that would be a useful addition.

Craig.

I bought my cruise control during a trip to USA. There are several suppliers.

http://www.aptuned.com/250-9621

just because it was much more expensive in France (390 euros)

http://www.autoprestige-4x4.fr/description.php?id=337934&target=new&PHPSESSID=2a0672b609aa9f9a3edad75e0e2f142e

But you can also find them on eBay, for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-9621-Scion-IQ-2012-2014-Automatic-Transmission-Complete-Cruise-Control-Kit-/251373534661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8707bdc5

My IQ is has the Multidrive transmission. May be this is important ?

The installation is quite simple. My kit was delivered with male/female connectors to insert between existing cables and OBD socket +throttle pedal connector. The commodo is inserted into a hole (to be drilled) then its connector must be assembled.

It worked fine the first time. I drove few miles and I really appreciated that device. There is no display, but its use is straightforward.

However I experienced a problem the next day: the IQ refused to start ! So I disconnected the cruise control, waiting for some free time to investigate. I'm still waiting! :-) I guess I should not power up the cruise control on the OBD socket ?

Hmmm, Hadn't thought about the manual gearbox, I guess you need another switch so the cruise turns off soon as you press the clutch pedal. If you didn't have that and pressed the clutch I guess the engine could suddenly increase in revs!

Maybe all you need is another switch mounting at the top of the clutch pedal and link it to the brake pedal switch on the cruise system. I'll have to think about that a bit more sometime. :)

Cheers

Craig.

Hello Gomoca,

All you need is plugging a small dongle in the OBD (diagnostic) plug under the driving wheel.

This device communicates on the CAN bus to check your speed, and it will automatically lock your doors when you reach 10 mph.

Whenever you stop the engine, or in case of a huge deceleration (accident), it automatically unlocks the doors.

Of course, the manual button is still functional at any moment, as well as the internal door handles.

http://www.cubikts.co.uk/wholesale/obd2-can-bus-speed-lock-device-for-toyota-nissan.html#na_write_rev

Christophe

Mod Edit

Great Christophe!!

Regards,

Gonçalo

Hello Gomoca,

Christophe

Mod Edit

Good hint Xophe!

Can you please post a photo on 'how and where- to plug it'?

Thanks

Hi Raistlin,

Thanks for the photos. This is the OBD socket where this gadget will be plugged in..

I forgot to mention another feature:

Every time you open a door, it switches on the IQ warnings for 2 seconds, just to alert other cars / bikes) that a door will open.

Good idea for safety.

I could also speak about another gadget that I really like: a USB cable with the OBD interface, to connect a laptop on the IQ OBD socket.

This device is delivered with a very user friendly software, to modify many things in the IQ.

For example, program up to 4 keys, remove the annoying sound for safety belts, adjust timers duration, etc...

If you are interested, let's do it in a separate topics of this forum.

Hi Raistlin,

Thanks for the photos. This is the OBD socket where this gadget will be plugged in..

I forgot to mention another feature:

Every time you open a door, it switches on the IQ warnings for 2 seconds, just to alert other cars / bikes) that a door will open.

Good idea for safety.

I could also speak about another gadget that I really like: a USB cable with the OBD interface, to connect a laptop on the IQ OBD socket.

This device is delivered with a very user friendly software, to modify many things in the IQ.

For example, program up to 4 keys, remove the annoying sound for safety belts, adjust timers duration, etc...

If you are interested, let's do it in a separate topics of this forum.

Yes I am!!!

Thanks again

My son had a BMW 3 Series a while back and worked at a BMW garage where he had one of the mechanics set up some nifty commands for the car. The specific model evades me, but, it was not meant to have these items operating as they are reserved for the more expensive models. It was however a two door, and he spent quite a bit of money on it, as youngsters do. When pulling away, the doors locked at about 5mph. When it stopped, one had to pull the door release twice. I'm not sure if that was to release the lock, or because the windows had to drop a fraction to open them as they were pillar-less doors. He did have other things done too, but don't recall what, however I think this might answer the question as to when the doors unlock. I don't expect this will have helped, but you never know.

We have the auto door lock on our xB, but we don't miss it on the iQ. It's not that hard to toggle the switch...

my wife locks her doors on her Verso, but as I'm always the first one to get out of the car when we stop, it becomes irritating when keep trying a locked door and having to wait for her to collect all her "stuff" before she unlocks the door.

David

my wife locks her doors on her Verso, but as I'm always the first one to get out of the car when we stop, it becomes irritating when keep trying a locked door and having to wait for her to collect all her "stuff" before she unlocks the door.

David

Get a new wife... its easier than retraining :lol:

Can someone point out the benefit of them locking when you get above 5/10 mph?

I would have thought the opposite. Get them to lock when you stop at lights/juntions to prevent car jacking or handbag theft from the seat.

Can see the benifit for four door cars for childs safety in the back, but is that not what child locks are for?

I just don't get it :ermm:

I would have thought the opposite. Get them to lock when you stop at lights/juntions to prevent car jacking or handback theft from the seat.

Can see the benifit for four door cars for childs safety in the back, but is that not what child locks are for?

I agree that the benefit is only when you're stopped.

But the easiest way to get it is to have an automatic door lock when you start the car, that keeps the doors closed all the trip -including while you stop on the traffic lights-, until you stop the engine -or you crash-. It's a standard feature in most of the 'high class' vehicles: you do not need to bother locking - unlocking: is automatic.

Regards

I would have thought the opposite. Get them to lock when you stop at lights/juntions to prevent car jacking or handback theft from the seat.

I agree that the benefit is only when you're stopped.

But the easiest way to get it is to have an automatic door lock when you start the car, that keeps the doors closed all the trip -including while you stop on the traffic lights-, until you stop the engine -or you crash-. It's a standard feature in most of the 'high class' vehicles: you do not need to bother locking - unlocking: is automatic.

Regards

Exactly, the explanation is perfect!! :thumbsup:

Gomoca

Do you mean cars that automatically lock the doors when you pull away and unlock again when you stop? Like Taxi's?

David

This point I don't get. Why have them lock when moving, but unlock when stopped? Surely you'd want it to lock and have to manually unlock when stopped?

I do not remember any post talking on unlocking when stopped

Regards

No idea didn't even think about it. For me its a gadget. And i love gadgets

I assume its useful for 4 door cars with children and without messing about with those little leavers you used to get in the door locks

David

Actually reading through the rest of the comments. I agree it would be better for iQ owners and may be others to lock the door when the engine is running and open again when stopped. That is very easy to achieve on the iQ with relay switching

David

Yes, the gadget automatically unlocks doors as soon as the engine is stopped.

It also warns other drivers that a door opens, by switching on the warning lights for 2 second.

It's really useful. Had it on my C5 since 2004. You are given the choice via stalk programming to turn on or off the option that locks the car when you FIRST drive off after reaching 6mph, and STAYS locked until you decide otherwise. So whether you subsequently stop at red lights/junctions or not, is immaterial, and the car remains locked unless you press an override button or simply open a door from inside.

I can see the point about the 6mph at the start of any journey being that you might decide you've forgotten to do something or a passenger might not quite be ready to get in, so the doors remain open until you really have set off on your journey.

The iQ is a pain because you have to remember that this process is not automatic which leaves you open to car-jacking.

Maybe if thats what your looking for,then it means either doing a mod on the iQ or training yourself to always lock the doors on the start of your journey. My wife never forgets to lock the doors Amazing!

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links