Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lock The Doors Automatically?

Gomoca

Gomoca

Do you mean cars that automatically lock the doors when you pull away and unlock again when you stop? Like Taxi's?

David

Exactly! Not only Taxi's...

I do not remember any post talking on unlocking when stopped

Regards

Ok, I think I misunderstood the question from the beginning. Think it was Gomoca's answer to Tarquins question above that reinforced my misunderstanding because don't taxis unlock when just stopped, not just when switching the engine off.

So yes, I know get why have them locked at pulling away and staying locked until engine off or overridden by switch.

• Like 1

Mark,

I think it started out with the initial question,and as there were not many comments only jokey ones, I went back to him as by then i understood what he was asking, hence ref to a Taxi, as you say, locks doors on pulling away and unlocks when stopped. Thats when i went into a long spiel about ECU's Delays etc etc. A solution was then forth coming in a OBDII dongle that does all that for you and i ordered one because its a gadget!!!

Then the concept changed to " what use is that" because sensibly, It would be better if the doors auto locked with starting the ignition and stayed locked until you turned the car off ( which my wife does manually" safety against robbery etc. Nobody is going to jump in your car at 30mph. Think the only reason for the "Taxi " version is, if you are a Taxi or children jumping out in 4 door cars if there are no child locks. Having said that about robbery, I saw a lady in a mini driving around town with her handbag on the roof!!!

Conclusion 2 schools of thought on it

David

• Like 1

Yeah, cheers David the mud has settled and all is clear now :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Re The debate on Auto Locking Car doors, I lived and worked in Africa for quite a number of years and owned many cars in my time there. I would not even think about driving a car without auto locking doors as a partial prevention to hi jacking plus I carried many other "defensive items" to numerious and perhaps better not listed on this forum in my car in the event of trouble to defend myself.

Most of my african cars all had anti hi jack systems fitted and some "break proof" ant smash glass etc,,,so I truly understand the need for Auto door locking in some environments. In fact in some places you need a lot more protection than just Auto Car Door Locks !

I think the risk is significantly less in most UK areas so It's no a issue for me anymore !

So Bob

What would you prefer? Locking after reaching 10mph and opening when stopped, or, lock when the ignition is switched on and open when ignition is turned off

David

or the third solution provided by my gadget :

Locking after reaching 10 mph and opening as soon as ignition is off... :flowers:

I thought your gadget which i have on order, locked at 10mph but opened when stationary not when the ignition was turned off

That is a better proposition

David

Yes, because you stay safely locked at the trafic light, and it minimizes the number of cycles...

I did not check if Techstream can dialog with the gadget, for example to switch on/off the warning lights when doors open. I'll see !

or the third solution provided by my gadget :

Locking after reaching 10 mph and opening as soon as ignition is off... :flowers:

That was what I understood - and what I really wanted

regards

So Bob

What would you prefer? Locking after reaching 10mph and opening when stopped, or, lock when the ignition is switched on and open when ignition is turned off

David

David, My View - In Africa (and potentialy other parts of the globe) I would recommend doors that lock as soon as you get in, and stay locked until you are ready to release them to get out ! I understand the risks of being locked in, in the event of an accident, however "other" safety issues are more important than that, and there are still occasions in Africa if you have an accident you still want the doors to remain locked, trust me I have been there and had the "T" shirt !

In the UK, locking after reaching 10mph and unlocking in the event of an accident is more appropriate, however where I live in the UK it is not needed to lock the doors at all, even when parked in my driveway, however I do lock my IQ as a matter of habit !

Hello,

I just installed the same gadget on my second IQ.

I just noticed it now unlocks doors as soon as the CVT gearbox returns to P (engine still running).

I need to double check with my first gadget. I thought it was unlocking doors when engine was swithed off...

May be I was wrong, or the Chinese guys modified the firmware.

Of course, they claim the doors will also unlock in the event of an accident (airbags). But I prefer not to test it... ;-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Christophe

The module arrived today. The first thing i noticed that with the engine running ( not in P mode), i plugged the unit in, then pulled away and nothing happened. I turned the engine off and restarted, then pulled away and sure enough the doors locked. They opened again when "(P)" was selected. I also found that whilst the doors were locked and i was doing slow speed 12 mph and suddenly braked hard, they opened so kind of tested as in a crash situation. They locked at 12-15 mph again so all round very good

David

• Like 2

Hi,

mine did arrived on monday, but as my wife has kidnapped the iq, I was not able to test it until yesterday

My car is manual, so I do not have the 'P' problem; I plugged the OMD with the car on, and as soon as I started to walk, doors where locked -anyway, this is not a point, as you only do it once in your life.

Locking happens around 20 km/h (¿15 mph?); it's not the 8 mph, but it's also enought.

I do not like the way to open the 'non-driver-seat' door, as you can not do as in most of the cars -double-lifting the handle-, but you need to press the unlock, and the pull the handle. I guess this is a iq problem / feature

I vave not tested the 'crash simulation' (good point David) I'll do it shortly

What does not work in mine is the warning lights when oppening the door with the engine on. It's not a problem -for me it's enougth with the automatic door closed-, but I report it as it was commented here

Any more hints are wellcome!

• Like 2

Hi there

You have probably done more testing than me. I have never tested the passenger door when i have manually locked the car from the drivers side even before getting the auto device. Also i have not tested the door alarms either.

Will test soon. Away in Amsterdam until Sunday so will check when i get back

David

• Like 1

I just had my Iq for a few days now and love it, but i was wondering the same thing about auto locking. I'ts a great gadgit

Hi Mark

Don know if toy have manual or Auto. The module we have from china plugs into the OBD2 diagnostic socket located roughly where your right hand shin is. It operates at about 12mph and stays locked until either you open the door or with an auto, put it in park. My assumption is on manuals its when you put the car in neutral. It also unlocks if you break hard thus simulating a crash. Costs about £20 But does take 3 weeks to arrive. If you want the link just ask.

David

David

• Like 1

...My assumption is on manuals its when you put the car in neutral....

David

Dave,

it opens the doors 'only' if:

- You switch the engine off,

- (*) You press the 'unlock' button (on the driver seat), or

- (*) You crash (I have no tested this feature yet: I trust on your test :) )

But it does not unlock when on neutral (and it makes sense, as you're on neutral on every traffic light -just when you want to have the doors closed)

(*) In fact, I think the module only works if you switch the engine off -or if you put the P in automatic-, and whenever speed gets greater than 12 mph: the rest of the unlocks are driven by the original car (I mean: the module locks whenever you reach 12 mph, and unlocks whenever engine is stooped, or P is selected. I want to test what happens if I unlock while driving faster than 15 mph, but I guess it will remain unlocked until you stop the car -not the engine-, and reach again the 12 mph. Unfortunately, my wife kidnaps my car each Monday, so testing will have to wait)

Regards.

• Like 1

Hello,

I fully agree with Pedro, neutral has no impact on that device.

Yes the car stays unlocked if you unlock manually above 12 mph.

Christophe

• Like 1

Thanks guys. That explains that. Its a great piece of kit and not expensive

David

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks to Xophe for a discovery which is going to change our lives. Coming from China from a little shop named Alibaba, I receive yesterday my

OBD2 CANBUS Speed Lock Device for Toyota

Only 19€ . Happiness is at this price

I have it on mine as well. It is excellent!!

Just to recap, it plugs into the OBD2 socket and locks the doors when you reach 12mph. They stay locked in my multidrive until park is selected., I think in a manual when neutral is selected Or you are in a crash

David

Many thanks to Xophe for a discovery which is going to change our lives. Coming from China from a little shop named Alibaba, I receive yesterday my

OBD2 CANBUS Speed Lock Device for Toyota

Only 19€ . Happiness is at this price

It does not onlock when on neutral, only when ignition is off

Regards

Cheers for that info. So are you saying that if you want to pull up and pick up a passenger you either have to turn the ignition off or open your own door, or does the passenger door only open if you turn the ignition off or lean over and open the passenger door from the inside. On multidrive, you only have to put the car into park then the passenger can get in then put it in drive again and your off. You don't have to switch the engine off

A Question or Two (or Three) :-

1) Will this Auto Lock Unit also work on a IQ Manual ?

2) I already have two scan gauges connected to my OBD2 port so will need another connector if I choose to fit the unit.

3) Does anyone know how to reprogram the IQ on board computer to achieve the same effect ?

Car computers are both sometimes a great idea and also a pain in the **** !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links