Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid Fuel Consumption Figures

Norton Man

I am interested in finding out what fuel consumption figures other Auris Hybrid drivers are achieving from their cars. I have owned mine for just over 3 months now and am somewhat disappointed in the fuel returns I am getting. The best I have achieved so far is 50mpg this is way, way short on the published figures of 72.4mpg. I am not a heavy footed driver but have driven diesels for the past 20+ years - but was returning 55mpg on an A6 Audi - a great heavy beast of a car compared to my Auris.

Curiously the average fuel consumption display does not match my own calculations when I put fuel in - where it should really read the same.

I would very much like some input from other drivers experiences before I approach Toyota to explain the not inconsiderable discreppancy.

Hello Paul - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

If you're expecting to achieve the EU you will be disappointed - as these are not achievable in the real world. Car manufacturers and dealers are only allowed to use the EU consumption figures. Most advertising carries a disclaimer such as:

"The combined figures quoted are sourced from official EU-regulated test results obtained through laboratory testing. These are provided for comparability purposes and may not reflect your actual driving experience." (copied from one of Parts King's posts).

See also an extract from an article in Which?: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/155252-eu-fuel-consumption-tests/

If you wish to see what other owners are achieving, have a look at Honest John's Real MPG section of his website: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2013/18-hybrid

what sort of driving do you do? A lot of high speed motorway work would favour a diesel plus mpg will currently be down due to colder temps.

It's pretty well known that real world figures & those gained in official testing are rarely close (Honest John says that on average cars only achieve 86% of official EU test mpg) & hybrids may be more affected by driving styles etc.

& just to show that it isn't only Toyota http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=104203

Or look at fuelly.com.

And the computer will never show the same mpg as what you calculate brim to brim, it is about 5mpg out by my calculations.

I have the Auris HSD from 2011 but same 1800 engine and gearbox as current model.

If i drive within the speed limit = 25/28mph in a 30mph and 65mph on motorway with very slow acceleration in eco mode i get 70mpg

If i drive faster i get 50mpg to 55 mpg i am very happy with my car.

The fuel figures are always wrong on all cars sold they are tested in a lab at very low speeds.

Russ.

Hi,

I currently own the 1st gen Auris Hybrid. The main reason for this low mpg is the weather. As it is cold, the engine has to warm up which takes a long time and uses petrol. It cools down quicker in winter therefore it has to reheat using more petrol. The hybrid system itself does not work as well in winter eg the batteries don't last as long during the winter. As the temperature rises the engine will not need to warm up as much therefore it will be off for longer. The hybrid system will also work more efficiently as the Battery will last longer. If you fill the fuel tank up this will increase the weight therefore lowering mpg. Try to fill up less for example half a tank instead of full.

This is from personal experience. Having had the car for 8 months I have experienced both winter and summer. During summer I am able to achieve 70+ mpg.

A few eco driving tips:

Drive in eco mode as much as possible. It improves mpg.

Smooth acceleration and braking.

Check tire pressures.

Use the internal air circulation button. Helps with mpg

Use auto on heater setting (doesn't make too Mich difference) It helps with using only as much air to the cabin as needed to get that temperature.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul

I bought my hybrid last October and am now coming up for 4000 miles.You don't say which model you have. The wheel size makes a big difference. On the XL that I have I'm stuck with 17" which gives the worst fuel figures. The smaller the wheels the better, 15" being the best.

It seems that the batteries are very temperature sensitive. Most of my driving is local and has been done with ambient temps. in the range 3-8c. I've managed 50 mpg. This month the ambient has been 7-12c and I've managed 55 mpg. over much the same terrain. You notice the difference over the first 3 miles or so when the engine warms up quicker and the batteries are that little bit warmer to begin with. I have been very surprised at the difference and other club members have told me to expect even better figures in summer. ( I look forward to summer more than better mpg :fireman: )

One little tip:

Drive the car in Eco mode and accelerate moderate using both engines but not in full throttle once you reach desirate speed 30mph for example depress the accelerator and the car switches to an electric then slightly apply more power if needed to maintain the above speed. If you feel that car need more torque use again moderate acceleration with both engines for a short period then keep on electric powering only, watch mpg gauge shoud show 100mpg. Regular oil change also very important 0w20 or similar and good tyres at correct pressure: nexen n blue Eco are best or Kumho ecowing, or if money not a problem go for Nokian Hakka green. 15" rims best .

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

2012 61 plate after just over a month of ownership.

Getting between 53mpg and 60mpg in general commuting. More town work improves mpg.

Averaging 57 MPG overall, but the last two fill ups have been slightly better since the weather is warming up now.

Never use ECO Mode, but I'm a fairly steady sort of driver.

Most journeys are local, but twice a week I have a 200 mile round trip on the motorway.

All in all I'm pleased with the MPG.

never really get below 50 no matter how i drive, 55seems about the norm, averaged 63 and 480 out of a tank on trip to lake district the other week,

• 2 weeks later...

With our Auris Icon HSD Touring I'm getting an indicated over 60mpg on most journeys over 10 miles and even up to 73.2mpg on some occasions. I'm very pleased with this and I believe it is doing even better than our previous Yaris Hybrid! Perhaps I'm getting more used to the driving style. The luggage carrying capacity of the Touring is really good as well.

With our Auris Icon HSD Touring I'm getting an indicated over 60mpg on most journeys over 10 miles and even up to 73.2mpg on some occasions.

Are those figures taken from the in car display,if so they are optimistic to say the least.

Brim to brim is the only way to really tell,any other way is far from accurate.

Yes, the figures are from the display which I suspect, as you say, are rather optimistic. The last brim to brim was 58.57mpg. I need more data as I have only had the car since the end of February and only driven just over 1000 miles. Of course, much depends on the type of journeys covered.

• 2 weeks later...

Warming up problem - short journies.

Because petrol is used to warm up the engine and the warming up phase is a more significant part of shorter journies there will be a poorer mpg result from the following two scenario:

1. Short journies

2. Cooler weather

I found that for typical journies of 5 miles each way in winter around 50 mpg was achievable with a Prius.

In summer - with more longer journies and warmer temperatures mpg achievable was upto 66 mpg over a whole tank.

Regarding displayed vs true mpg, some years ago I studied this over a 3 month period and found that the displayed mpg was 3.78% higher than true mpg.

I've owned my Icon TS hybrid just over 2months and 3K I'm getting a real 60.1 lowest mileage has been 55.9 and highest 65.4 those are calculated figures not from the display. The 65.4 displayed at 67.1 and today I filled up it said 64mpg and actual was 60.9. For me the display consistently over-reads by 2-4 mpg. For comparison I bought this car to replace a 1.7 Zafira ecoflex which I averaged a measured 45.7 MPG. It was also optimistic with regard to the computer display to the tune of 2-4 MPG.

I average about 42-43 MPG driving my wife's 1.4 petrol note.

PS I'm chuffed to bits with the car so far!

• 3 years later...

hi guy's!

I have a question 

Does anyone knows how I can do a rolling start without the use of the Battery pack on a Auris HSD 2014?

The thing is I live in a very  congested city and the traffic is terrible. I always find my self stuck in traffic bumper to bumper for aprox 10km.  I try not to use the Battery pack because I don't want the regen to kick in and kill my MPG.The problem is that the traffic does not move fast enough to make a glide so I am forced to use EV. If I press hard on the acceleration so the ICE starts Hybrid Assistant shows high amounts of power use for a second till the ICE starts running. Unfortunately by the time the engine starts running I have to stop. So after a few rolling starts the Battery pack drains considerable .

Is there any chance that I could use no battery as little as possible for a rolling start?