Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Starting Problem

LCPete

Hi I've got a three year old yaris Petrol 1.33 manual

It's a great car but twice now I've had starting problems the starter motor seems to turn but doesn't start the engine

It does eventually start

I think the starter is turning but not engaging not turning over the engine

The first time the garage said that the key had lost its code so the immobiliser wasn't working

This happened about two months ago

They recoded the keys which solved the problem but now it's just happened again

Is this a common fault ?

The car is still under warranty and the dealers are going to look at it and im sure that they will fix it again but am a bit worried about being stranded as I quite often go out into snowdonia where there is no phone signal

It is an intermittent fault as it does now start ok which won't make it easy to diagnose the problem

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Toyota do have a TSB ( Technical service bulletin ) that does sound similar to your issues, it presents as extended cranking of engine and is intermittent.

Bulletin ref # EG-0091T-1112

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may experience and report one or all the following symptoms:
Impossible/hard to start, rough idle, MIL ON (DTC P1603, P1604, P1605...), engine stalls.
This is due to carbon build up between valves and seats, which prevents valves full closure and results in low
compression
PRODUCTION CHANGE
Production of below parts was changed :
(1) Cover Sub-Assy, Cylinder Head
(2) Nozzle Sub-Assy,Oil
(3) Piston Sub-Assy, W/ pin
(4) Ring set, Piston
The repair is a big one and depending on which factory built your engine ( there where 2 ) and when it was built you may need any combination of the modification above.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply Lee hopefully it's nothing that major but luckily its still under warranty

I do think that it's electrical though as when it cranks it doesn't sound like the starter is cranking the engine

It sounds like the starter is whirring round

It's intermittent tho so will be hard to diagnose I guess

The dealers are looking at it tomorrow so hopefully they will be able to sort it this time

Thanks for the reply Lee hopefully it's nothing that major but luckily its still under warranty

I do think that it's electrical though as when it cranks it doesn't sound like the starter is cranking the engine

It sounds like the starter is whirring round

It's intermittent tho so will be hard to diagnose I guess

The dealers are looking at it tomorrow so hopefully they will be able to sort it this time

The fact that the starter sounds like it us spinning freely may suggest that the TSB does apply as the issue is a lack of compression due to badly seated valves in the cylinder head this will allow the engine to crank very quickly but not actually start very easily

I see what you mean really glad its under warranty still then

I will mention that to them tomorrow

Thanks very much Lee

Will post back what happens

• 6 months later...

I would imagine that the starter motor is not engaging into the flywheel. Mine did it after a heavy rainstorm once. As for piston trouble, I think you would have noticed the clouds of blue smoke behind the car and the perpetual oil top up.

As a point of general interest can everyone who posts a problem come back and tell us what the answer was.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Did you get any answer to this? I have exactly the same problem yesterday and even this morning. Then a toyota eurocare assistent came and solved the problem. He opened the throttle completely by  pushing the gas padel all the way down to the floor. 

I googled and found that there was someone found the similar problem in 2002 Yaris already. :-O

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=9259

No, it never did it again. I think the starter motor assy just got stuck and spun without engaging. Thus said, I do not know how the starter motor is engineered on a Optimal drive, stop start engine.

toyotajej

After reading your post again I cannot help but wonder if the car was flooded or had a temperature sensor exposed above the coolant level. Two important things to consider

1 Never touch the accelerator when starting the engine. 2 Always make sure you have enough coolant, as an exposed coolant sensor confuses the cars management computer on the cold start sequence. This happened to a mark 1 yaris we once had.

• 2 months later...

I have just taken delivery of a new Yaris Hybrid, and although I like it I have experienced problems when starting. The fault is intermittant and very annoying, as both my wife and myself have been caught out on several occasions, when the car fails to 'ignite' following keyless button start.

Then for no apparent reason, it starts. Right now it is back in the garage, having been there already and found no fault. This time, however when the garage came to collect, the driver took several attempts before taking the car away!

I have just been informed that the car needs a new Battery (not the hybrid battery). I ask you! four week old car needs a new Battery!

I hope this is all it requires and this is not an endemic problem.

See pic attached

20160522_174426.jpg

• 4 months later...

I actually have a Toyota Auris 1.33 (2103 model) and twice I had this issue. The first time I was told it was maybe because I switched on the engine and switched off so quickly, which I had actually done and so there was still some unburnt petrol and kind off the engine choked. They managed to start with engine simply by depressing the gas pedal all the way down upon starting the engine (normally this is not required since I just have to press the clutch).

Around one month ago, my Toyota just did not want to start yet again, so this time round I tried pressing the gas pedal too and no joy. I had to get the towing service and after trying a couple of time the engine started. They suggested I take it to the agent to have it checked.

It turns out that when they connected it to the computer it gave a trouble code P1605. The Toyota agent in Malta has excellent service and so they contacted Toyota manufacturer. Apparently, from my engine number is one of those affected and my car requires a modification. I am not a mechanic, but I was told that the cylinder head has to be taken off, order the modified parts (pistons etc) and have them refitted). This process is a fairly complicated one and will take around one week.

With hindsight, I guess this problem manifested itself in the first time, but at the time the car just started and that's it. The second time round I insisted that it is checked via the computer...and there you go. My car is just over 3 years old and 24,000 miles.

At least the Toyota agent in Malta, once again, proved that his customer service is unquestionable and I shall have the fault repaired very soon.

On 15/10/2016 at 9:33 AM, trevs said:

I actually have a Toyota Auris 1.33 (2103 model) and twice I had this issue. The first time I was told it was maybe because I switched on the engine and switched off so quickly, which I had actually done and so there was still some unburnt petrol and kind off the engine choked. They managed to start with engine simply by depressing the gas pedal all the way down upon starting the engine (normally this is not required since I just have to press the clutch).

Around one month ago, my Toyota just did not want to start yet again, so this time round I tried pressing the gas pedal too and no joy. I had to get the towing service and after trying a couple of time the engine started. They suggested I take it to the agent to have it checked.

It turns out that when they connected it to the computer it gave a trouble code P1605. The Toyota agent in Malta has excellent service and so they contacted Toyota manufacturer. Apparently, from my engine number is one of those affected and my car requires a modification. I am not a mechanic, but I was told that the cylinder head has to be taken off, order the modified parts (pistons etc) and have them refitted). This process is a fairly complicated one and will take around one week.

With hindsight, I guess this problem manifested itself in the first time, but at the time the car just started and that's it. The second time round I insisted that it is checked via the computer...and there you go. My car is just over 3 years old and 24,000 miles.

At least the Toyota agent in Malta, once again, proved that his customer service is unquestionable and I shall have the fault repaired very soon.

As they are the agent and supposedly know what they are doing, its up to them how they fix it. I have heard of issues with carbon jamming the valves on the 1.33 engine but I suspect it a rarity not the norm. It appears this P1065 is a power train fault code and is a non specific (aren't they all) which is as a reserved memory fault, stored in the Engine Control Unit. It can also refer to an issue with the anti knock sensor picking up pinking, which again can be caused by carbon build up. Has the car made a clattering/ pinking noise at low revs ? Anyway, its not your problem now, but I would love to see what's going on in the combustion chambers when the heads removed. Whatever, I am not impressed when the car has only covered 8000 miles pa. 

P.S Has this car used much oil?

• 6 months later...

Problem with starting only happened once to my wife's 1.33 yaris 2011. Hovewer it does suffer from rough idle when engine is warm. I've done some research and it looks like it may be previously mentioned problem with carbon inside the engine. The worst thing is that the car is 6 months past its warranty. Any suggestions?

• 2 years later...

Good day 

I have a 2011 Toyota Yaris Zen3 that intermittently and randomly has starting issues. When I try to start the car, the starter motor will keep running for a second or two then the engine successfully starts. On other random occasions, the starter motor will run for a second or two but the engine doesn’t crank. I quickly turn the ignition off, wait for a second or two then I am able to start the engine. The two issues I have are completely random. 

My car has a full service history with Toyota and was last serviced in October, 2018. I went to my nearest Toyota dealer to have the problem investigated. My car was working fine that day. The technician started the car several times but the problem could not be elicited and therefore not diagnosed  

What could be the most probable cause?

Thank you. 

• 3 months later...

I have a toyota yaris 2007 model t 1.1,i tried to start my car but it didnt want to start,i tested the Battery and the Battery if fine,i tried again to start the car but the problem is still there..

Moved my car from one side of the road to the other, one night. In the morning it wouldn't start or fire, starter seemed to be spinning but not engaging. Called the AA, the first thing he asked me was if I had I moved the car last night. Said it was flooded, put the accelerator down and kept turning it over until it started, no problem since.