Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Softest Lowering Springs?

Planemo

All,

I am looking to lower my Aygo purely for cosmetic reasons and fit some 15" alloys. The concern I have is that my Aygo (a 56 plate Sport) seems to ride incredibly firm, certainly firmer than any other car I have had.

I have found threads mentioning TTE, Apex, H&R and Eibach springs but can't find anything specifically related to how a lowered car compares to standard regarding stiffness.

I desperately want to get this done as the car screams out for some cosmetic work in this area but I really don't want to make it a bone-breaker. My previous experience with lowering cars showed that in general, factory supplied springs are the best option (if not the cheapest) which I am happy to do but can anyone give me an idea on how it felt before and after?

I am of course taking into account that fitting lower profile tyres (due to the 15" wheels) will increase harshness anyway but I guess that what I am asking for is a lowered spring that is as close to the factory poundage as possible, but I can't find any information on the poundages for the different manufacturers available, nor the stock ones for that matter.

Cheers for any help.

If you PM Parts King and explain he will give you prices and lead times

Friends with H&R springs have fully recommended them for retaining great ride comfort whilst giving a mild drop in height (30mm). I can personally recommend Eibachs as I've had them fitted to 2 cars, but not actually an Aygo.

Cheers Raistlin, maybe he can help regarding the stiffness.

I find my car so firm that I'm wondering if it's actually been lowered already. I haven't seen that many Aygos on the road to compare it with. I took a pic trying to show as best I could the height of the car. The camera was about the same height as the top of the tyres. It wasn't ideal as it was taken on a slightly sloped drive but it might help give an idea?

The top of the tyre to the arch is about 70mm on the rear and 67mm on the front. I reckon it's stock but other opinions would be good!

IMG_20140227_170802_zpsdc5d50bd.jpg

Friends with H&R springs have fully recommended them for retaining great ride comfort whilst giving a mild drop in height (30mm). I can personally recommend Eibachs as I've had them fitted to 2 cars, but not actually an Aygo.

Cheers, I've had Eibach too on a twin turbo Supra and they are a highly regarded spring company but they defo stiffened the Supra up by about 20% I think. I would hope that the big name companies would not simply put a blanket poundage upgrade on all the springs they make though, and instead take into account how firm the stock car runs. IMO a 20% to 30% upgrade on an Aygo would shake your fillings out.

I would plump for H&R's myself, as the ride quality was excellent in both an Almera & a Passat :)

P.S. I think your Aygo is still running at stock ride height.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links