Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 4.3 - New Engine And Dpf Question!

Alex Rav

I am going to go and look at a 2007 Rav D4d XT4 this weekend, it has 81k miles and had a new engine from Toyota in october last year (2013) so just under 1000 miles ago.

My question to those of you in the know is would you be happy at that? I have read the 54 odd pages and have a good feel of the reasons behind the failures and also have a copy of the new engine invoice. Whilst you can never rule out problems is this vehicle likely to be good in terms of engine now? Is there anything specific to look out for during viewing/testing with the new engines?

My other query is does the 2.2D4D engines have a diesel particulate filter fitted in the UK? i'm pretty sure the T180s do, however i cannot find a definitive answer about the lower powered D4d engines, fitted to the XT4 for example

Many thanks!

I would say that such a vehicle would be an excellent buy - most purchasers, with the background knowledge, would be very reassured if the engine had been replaced. There's loads of replacement engines been fitted and the vast majority of owners have clocked up many trouble free miles. Depending on the date of registration in 2007 - there may well be some Toyota warranty remaining on the engine. Take the car on an extended test drive to ensure it runs smoothly / quietly, doesn't overheat etc etc. The D4D of this era wouldn't have a DPF.

Thanks very much for the info and advice - its registered around 11th Jan so it is now outside its 7 year, however the new engine's 1 year warranty is still active until October.

I'm still very confused around the DPF, I spoke to the garage that replaced the engine today and they seemed to think the vehicle does have a DPF. Is there a certain box or addition to look for when i see it to confirm one way or the other. A proportion of my driving is around town but with a motorway blast once a week or more if i drive to work - having read about the problems with DPFs when used locally if i can confirm there isn't one it would be even more attractive!

There is no DPF . . . But there is a CAT

The D-CAT Models have a DPF AND a CAT.

Both have issues with short runs, but a good run on the motorway does (in my case) clear the issue in my (non D-CAT) Rav

I can assure you that a 2007 D4D won't have a DPF. DPF's are identified by pressure monitoring connections each side of the unit. The D-Cat and T180 models of the same year which have a DPF also have a 5th fuel injector mounted in the exhaust - it's easier to identify this than crawl around looking for the DPF.

Thank you again for the advice, much appreciated and goes someway to helping my DPF fears! Cats are less of a fear to me as they are pretty standard on most cars now and i tend to do a motorway blast reasonably frequently

Gosh i feel like a snob now (Only joking!) as i own a 12 plate, last of the old model Rav4 which is a 2.2 D-Cat and it hasn't covered 6,000 miles yet.

I do lots of short runs and i am curious what faults may develop as it rarely goes on long runs......any comments appreciated.

Regards Mike169

yours is a 12 plate so outside the production years that are known to have a potential problem with the cylinder head/gasket etc. Supposedly that issue should be fixed in your RAV (& my Avensis).

The other way to check for a DPF on a 2.2. or 2.0 D4D of that age (2007) is to open the bonnet & see if it says D-CAT. Don't know about RAVs but there were a few 2.0 & 2.2 D-CAT Avensis in the UK as well as the T180.

Hi Heidfirst, mine is definitely a D Cat version as it has badges on the side wings and says so on the engine. I know the engine is a 2231cc according to the log book and the model is Rav4 Xt-R D-Cat Auto, variant ALA30(WA), version ALA30R-BWTGXW(4J), CO2 186G/KM, net power (kw) 110 and i believe it is 150bhp....................do you think being the end of the range my car has many good miles left in it so to speak?

Thanks and regards Mike169

Your car will perfectly fine, however if you only do short runs, you should give it a good run up the motorway / dual carriageway every week or so to clear the dpf, often known as an Italian tune up :lol:

Aye aye captain Kingo, i'll let the boss use it once a week, she does a 28 miles run each way every day in a different car we own, oh we are soooooooooooo posh, haha and cruises at 69mph all the way so a good Italian cruise will do it good.

Sorry to ask what exactly is the dpf, gotta picture of it, and where is it located, is it something i should decoke occasionally?

Thank you young man!

Regards Mike169

No you don't need to do anything to it, don't even look at it to tempt fate :lol: seriously..........just drive it and once a week a good run up the bypass for 20 minutes, keep the revs up a bit, so forth gear, revs above 2K ;)

Hi Heidfirst, mine is definitely a D Cat version as it has badges on the side wings and says so on the engine. I know the engine is a 2231cc according to the log book and the model is Rav4 Xt-R D-Cat Auto, variant ALA30(WA), version ALA30R-BWTGXW(4J), CO2 186G/KM, net power (kw) 110 and i believe it is 150bhp....................do you think being the end of the range my car has many good miles left in it so to speak?

Thanks and regards Mike169

By the time of your car even the non- D-CAT 2.2s had acquired a DPF :(. I'm not sure why Toyota UK mates the D-CAT 2.2 with the auto-box (it's the same on the Avensis) as it means that you get a double hit to mpg - probably something to do with emissions & RFL or BIK levels.

I totally accept it's all about emissions, just a bit unfortunate the road tax is still in the bracket of £260.00 pa.