Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Not Starting

morris1000tom

Hello, at the school I work at we have a brand new Toyota Yaris which was given to us by Toyota. The car was in a showroom for a few years , when we got the car it didn't start. There fore we investigated it and found out it had a spark but had no petrol in the tank. We have put petrol in the tank but there is no fuel pumping to the injectors. We have taken a look at the fuel pump and it doesn't work but is getting power to it. Does anybody have any ideas? many thanks

i take it you know how the fuel pump works, but try the following.

Turn the ignition key a few times but don't engage the starter to start the engine. What this does is prime the fuel system. Hopefully the petrol has reached the engine.

Then try and start the engine. The engine may stutter initially, then run okay.

The fuel pump has a safety system so will not run until the engine is running, and if the engine stops the pump stops too.

Give it a go.

Konrad

we have tried that but still no fuel to the fuel rail. so the fuel pump doesn't work until the car is running. When I took the connection off it was under pressure does this mean its getting fuel? Could Toyota have done something to it to stop it starting? Also the car has never been started and never heard it run. Its a 1.0l engine around 2010-2012model. How exactly does the fuel pump work? many thanks

The pump comes on for a few seconds when you turn the key, so the fuel pressure is built up. You have keep repeating turning the key to the 'ignition' position for a few seconds, then off, then repeat. There will be air in the system and the repeat turning of the key as describe will force more fuel to the engine.

Then start the engine.

I have changed a fuel pump on a friends car couple a years ago, and that was the technique I used to start the car.

On the other hand, there may be an issue with the car. Or Toyota had disabled the car. What about the keys. Did you get all the keys (2 remote and 1 courtesy key) and does the remote central locking work?

The first step is to read the fault codes. Otherwise you are stabbing in the dark.

Regards Geoff Peace.

• Like 1

no we got one key with the car and that is the courtesy key and the security light goes out when turned over and has a spark. I will try that on Monday. Toyota could of done something not to start it. We have 2 Toyotas but only one runs. Does it need another key?

I agree with Geoff, get a code reader.

I am surprised Toyota let you have a non- working car, but maybe they knew something. Very strange.

Just saw your key response. You need to have master key.

Follow Geoff's advice, plus any other given.

Hope you get the car working.

we put an e-obd metre on it and it came up with no codes. The cars don't have vin numbers or any identification have these have been cut out. There are no codes so it cant be that much wrong with it. Could the key be the problem. I don't think there is any fuel getting to it. If the key didn't work there wouldn't be a spark. There fore we think it is a fuel problem hence why we thought the pump was knackered. When we took the spark plugs out they weren't wet with petrol and you couldn't smell petrol. We also but a computer diagnosis's on it and no codes came up. The car has been hit on the back bumper. Is they a emergency fuel cut of switch which doesn't let fuel pump? If there is not any fuel getting the fuel rail what could it be? many thanks

There really should be a VIN somewhere on the car. If not then it suggests that the car has been seriously tampered with (i.e. cut and shut or stolen), which really is very unlikely in your situation. The problem is that there are many locations where you can find it on different cars. I don't have my Yaris yet, so here are a few places to look:

1. A window on the bottom of the windshield.

2. A plate in the engine bay.

3. Stamped into the metal of the engine bay.

4. Etched onto the security info of the glass.

5. On the sticker in the door-jam that shows the tyre pressures.

6. Failing all that, it will definitely be on the V5 document.

I'm not sure that the VIN will be that much help in your current problem, as you know the type of car and engine etc. But it will be helpful in the future.

David

EDIT: Just saw that you don't have a master key. That rings alarm bells to me. On some Italian cars and scooters if you lose the master key, and the power fails (and resets the computer), the remaining keys are useless. Don't know if the situation would be as bad on a Japanese car, but the courtesy key is meant for valet parkers etc, and I wouldn't be surprised if the car stopped accepting it's immobiliser chip if it is used exclusively for a long time.

Hello, this car is brand new and has never been on the road. My school is sponsored by Toyota and the cars that are damaged on the production line were given to us. Therefore Toyota took everything ie vin number, etc The car never got as far as being registered but they cut the chassis number out of the car so it can never go on the road. hope this helps

Hi, a 'back street' way just to see if it will start would be to use a can of 'EASY START' available from car parts shops. First of all this stuff is highly flammable and should be treated with respect. If you can get someone to crank the car over and someone else just gives one or two short squirts up the air intake, where the air goes into the air filter the car may splutter, enough to get the car to start naturally. Like i say this stuff must be given the highest respect but i have got many an engine going that hasn't been started for ages, diesel and petrols but sorry to repeat myself, only a small amount of the fluid should be used as it is a potential fire risk. Should the engine backfire be read with an extinguisher of some sort as a flame may appear from the air intake alternatively if you crank the engine :blowup: it will suck the flames into the engine.

Incidently a safer way is to remove the air filter element to reduce the risk of any fire.

Hello, this car is brand new and has never been on the road. My school is sponsored by Toyota and the cars that are damaged on the production line were given to us. Therefore Toyota took everything ie vin number, etc The car never got as far as being registered but they cut the chassis number out of the car so it can never go on the road. hope this helps

So if the car can never go on the road, why do you get given the car to use? Just curious.

They use them for technology classes, car repairs and bodywork practice.

Cars are often donated to the Fire services to practice emergency escapes.

post-41902-0-95439500-1393673090_thumb.j

we run a mechanic course and wanted a few new cars to work on therefore Toyota donated 2 cars one a runner and the other a non-runner

oh I see. So the one intended as a runner is not starting then?

yes it is suppose to run and Toyota said they don't know why it doesn't run and wont tell us anything about it. The car has a spark but is getting no petrol through. If we hooked up a fuel supply and pumped it through would it run? Has it got certain timings for the petrol to inject many thanks

Hi, as in reading other reports on your cars, i worked at a college and Fords donated cars to the college, technically they always owned them, to stop them being used on the roads i am guessing. They were experimental cars, they might have different brakes, a different widget on the engine, etc, etc. Their attitude was it was not worth their while to put the car back to standard as by the time they had tested it is may of had a few miles on the clock it was unsellable so they donated them to locate colleges and the like and officially they could take them back at any time (But they never did), it was Fords way of getting rid of experimental metal and getting students working on their cars with the view to maybe working in a Ford main dealership at a later date.

Hello, some good news managed to get the car running for a few seconds. I put petrol down the bores and got it to run for around 5-10 seconds each time. The thing its not doing is not sucking the petrol through. Could this be the ecu or the petrol pump

Hello, some good news managed to get the car running for a few seconds. I put petrol down the bores and got it to run for around 5-10 seconds each time. The thing its not doing is not sucking the petrol through. Could this be the ecu or the petrol pump

Immobiliser?

Regards Geoff Peace.

so it is the immobiliser. Is there any way around this like hook up a new fuel pump or is it fuel injected at certain times many thanks

Is there a fuse that controls the fuel injection, just a thought as I haven't read all the replies yet.

Pete.

so it is the immobiliser. Is there any way around this like hook up a new fuel pump or is it fuel injected at certain times many thanks

Firstly there is no easy way round, the immobiliser and ECU are interlinked. Secondly, if there were an easy way round it should not be posted on an open forum for reasons of security. Thirdly, I would think a replacement would have to be programmed by a Toyota dealer. Not cheap!

Regards Geoff Peace.

So it sounds like you've got two non runners really, I'd ask Toyota for another car if and when they've got one available. Not worth replacing the ECU, the unit cost is £700 odd