Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Rav4 - Manual Gear Change

nanabanana

I got a 2004 Toyota Rav4 5 door today but I am finding the gear change really hard, I have driven loads of cars even really old ones and I have never had one that I have to shove into gear so robustly! Also the revs seem very high, so I sound a bit like a learner driver when I have been driving for years. I have adjusted the seat as I thought I could be too near but to no avail, I spoke to another owner I saw in the car park and he said it could be the clutch!? It has 64,000 miles on it. Any advice please. :disgust:

You are not alone, the gear change is notoriously clunky between 1st and 2nd gear on this model. Just dont rush it.

If the revs are too high at tickover it will possibly need the throttle body cleaning, mine was the same and having cleaned it myself, that cured it.

Phil

As above, mine is a 2008 and 1st to 2nd is rubbish, sometimes even crunchy if you do it too quick. Plus the revs rise/stay high when dipping the clutch which just seems to be a feature of this car.

A gear box oil change may also assist in a smoother take up...

Also the change in ratio between 1st & second is larger that in normal cars.

You can expect this difference to produce clunkier gear change.

The best way out it to find & use the best engine revs which will give you the smoothest change (and it does exist).

Sometimes giving the synchro a bit more time to work between gear changes also helps

Kudos to bonjo

iirc Fuchs Titan Race SRG 75 Full Ester Synthetic gear oil is supposed to improve things (as least if it's the 6-speed)

Also the change in ratio between 1st & second is larger that in normal cars.

Is that due to it being 4 wheel drive? My Kia sportage seemed to have a very short first gear as well

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason for geting gear changes too hard my be because the clutch is not desengaging properly.

Hello Miguel, good to hear from you.

Now you have joined us keep those posts coming as another brain may offer unthought of ideas for solving members problems

Del

• 8 years later...

Just bought a 2007 5-DR RAV4 with 85K on the clock and have the same issue. 1st to 2nd is a nightmare (crunching), and even getting it into first when it's cold weather is a bit notchy. Got her booked in for a gearbox oil change next week which I'm hoping will help. However, I'm encouraged reading that this is quite a common 'feature' that my clutch isn't about to give up!

• 2 weeks later...

So we started off with a MK2 having an issue, thread got necro’d 8 years later by a MK3 owner and now a MK4 owner has latched onto it? I suppose it’s not worth pointing out that it’s not the same platform/engine/gearbox? I always find 1st gear is short in the MK4 vs the MK2 and I really wasn’t keen on the MK3 at all, but nobody in the family likes the MK3 and that has nothing to do with needing to resurrect it next week.

• Haha 1

Recent posts split into new topic - 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links