Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis Engine Advice

mika_98

Hello all,

My father is hoping to buy a Toyota Avensis but we're kinda stuck on deciding which engine to go for.

If its a diesel, it'll most likely be the 2.0 d4d. I have read that the 2.2 engines have a few issues. If we go for the 2.0, are there any years in particular to avoid? And do they have dual mass flywheels?

If its a petrol engine, well... to be honest, we're not quite sure at all! Any suggestions?

The car will be mostly used around town.

Really look forward to hearing some suggestions and would really appreciate it :)

Thanks!

Are you looking to buy new or used? If used an idea of age or year would be useful.

Sorry. It'll be a used car. Budget is around £3.5-4k. From looking on Autotrader, years vary from 2004-2006. A few from 2007 but they are high milers.

Look at the first post of the following topic, which gives the years of the Avensis affected - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Both the 2 litre and 2.2 are affected.

How many miles will your father being doing a year?

VVTI's (petrols) are chain driven and can burn oil excessively- the engine blocks were replaced by Toyota, a quick ring to Toyota with reg/vin number will reveal if they were fitted under warranty. if it has a engine fitted this should be ok.

I have read that the problem should not occur after cars from mid 2005.

Yes the diesels have have dual mass flywheels.

2.0 D4D's

2003-2006- 5 gears cam belt driven engine 115bhp- we are running two of these!

2006-2009- 6 gears chain driven engine 125bhp - are known for headgasket's (same as a 2.2)

I hope this helps.

How many miles will your father being doing a year?

VVTI's (petrols) are chain driven and can burn oil excessively- the engine blocks were replaced by Toyota, a quick ring to Toyota with reg/vin number will reveal if they were fitted under warranty. if it has a engine fitted this should be ok.

I have read that the problem should not occur after cars from mid 2005.

Yes the diesels have have dual mass flywheels.

2.0 D4D's

2003-2006- 5 gears cam belt driven engine 115bhp- we are running two of these!

2006-2009- 6 gears chain driven engine 125bhp - are known for headgasket's (same as a 2.2)

I hope this helps.

Futher to this post, buy the 2003>2006.

avoild the the 2006>2009 unless you increase your budget and then the new shape which starts around 7k for one that has done 100k.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying, been very busy.

My dad covers around 7000miles a year, mostly inner city driving.

I guess we'll keep an eye out for the 2.0 diesel engines, pre 2006.

If there are other common issues, please do let me know :)

Thanks

for 7000 miles per year urban I would buy a petrol.

I agree with Scott,

bit of advice,

VVTI units are known to burn oil.

I would get the reg/vin of the vehicle you are looking at and ring your local Toyota dealer and ask them if it has the modified block fitted.

Here is a link to a Toyota Service Bulletin:

http://toyota-club.net/files/07-01-10/eg6020-toy.pdf

Hello Everybody,

I'm new here but I have a similar doubt as poster above, but in my case I'd make at least 20000km per year and generally will be driving out of town.

So I was thinking about the T25 2.2liter with 177PS used.. or would you still suggest petrol or 2.0liter version for some particular reason? I found such an used one from 2007 with 70000km so far and a part from EGR Valve should/would I need to take care about something specific or move to something else?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Tent

The 2.2 diesel is known for cylinder head problems, not just on the Avensis but everything that it is fitted to, including Lexus. I'm sure there are plenty people with "good" ones but there's also plenty reports about the problem. Have a search around for more info. Personally I'd steer clear of one - I'd permanently drive it with one eye on the temp guage.

so you think either to go for the 2.0liter 116PS or the newer (T27) 2.2liter with 150PS? Or is there at least an easy way to spot if it is one of those "good" onese since buying it used after 70000km should, I suppose, actually already have shown it's quality or not?

Tent.

Hello Everybody,

I'm new here but I have a similar doubt as poster above, but in my case I'd make at least 20000km per year and generally will be driving out of town.

So I was thinking about the T25 2.2liter with 177PS used.. or would you still suggest petrol or 2.0liter version for some particular reason? I found such an used one from 2007 with 70000km so far and a part from EGR Valve should/would I need to take care about something specific or move to something else?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Tent

The D-CATs (of which the T180 is one) are noticeably thirstier because they use a 5th injector to squirt diesel into the DPF to burn off soot.

An educated guess suggests that under 5% of 1 & 2AD D4Ds develop the hg problem but there doesn't seem any way of predicting which 5% ... Many of them won't start to show any issues until after 40 or 50,000 miles.

The 2.2s seem to have a higher failure rate than the 2.0s.

Toyota has a 180,000km or 7 year extended warranty in place for the issue in the UK, don't know about where you live.

It may not even be a problem where you are as Toyota seem to claim that it's a largely UK/Ireland issue.

They don't seem to like poor quality fuel or being babied but need a good run every so often.

• Like 1

Wow Heidfirst! Thanks for your answer. Pretty darn clear.

But that means, if wanting to buy a Diesel Avensis, only a 2.0-litre D-4D 1CD-FTV (114 hp) might be ok?

And this applies not only to T25 but also T27? I mean also T27 uses 2AD engines, or did Toyota fix it starting from a safe year on forward?

Otherwise I cannot immagine to stay safer if buying one with more than 100000km I suppose....

Uhm.. so quite risky.. really a pitty.. and what are the States/Nations that are most affeceted? :)

Tent

read this http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=10987

It's known to be out of date though but we don't have a copy of the latest.

Iirc the 1CD-FTV is pretty bomb-proof but obviously isn't as powerful & also iirc is belt-driven rather than chain.

As this is a largely UK/Irish frequented forum we mainly know about that & I believe that it has been said that Toyota say that it's something to do with the quality of our fuel ...

I don't know if it's a problem to the same extent in other nations.

wow fuel quality? really? uhm.. could be true since otherwise I could not explain why Toyota would continue then to have-sell 1-2AD engines with such issues, even if around 5%.. so are there really people also with newer T27 Avensis in UK suffering this issue?? kind of crazy.. I hope Swiss Diesel could be better in Quality.. but I was supposing Diesel is of same quality and under same regulations on whole europe...

Tent.

I have an idea, if it is something you think it makes sense: what if I inspect the EGR Valve of the car before I buy? Would this indicate that problem is actually the case for that engine or it is not strictly correlated?

Tent