Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Are Some Options? Blown Head Gasket.

SupwrSW21

Hey guys. I recently bought a 1991 Toyota MR2 N/A and I didn't know it had a radiator leak because the guy I bought it from put stop leak in it. So unfortunately I have a blown head gasket now. What I want to know is should I get the head work done or is it easier to drop another engine in it? Is the car even worth keeping?

This will give you an idea of the work involved:

I think there is a new product that you pour in the engine and it repairs. Comes with money back guarantee too I think its liquid metal or something like that.

I think there is a new product that you pour in the engine and it repairs. Comes with money back guarantee too I think its liquid metal or something like that.

It's not April the first yet... Is it :clap:

Thanks Raistlin. I just did a leak down test on the car yesterday to confirm my suspicion and of course, not good. :( What's weird is, the car still runs perfectly and still pulls hard, it just overheats after like five minutes.

Hi, i have done a few jobs on these cars, cambelt change, radiator change (From memory i think it was this model but it was in the front), new clutch as well as all the usual servicing type of jobs and unless you are a confident mechanic i don't think a head gasket is for the faint hearted and you should get some prices from local garages.

Also if you keep the car, get the job done, don't forget the cylinder head may be cracked or perhaps need skimming if it is warped at all or badly corroded and whilst it is all stripped down i suggest you have the cambelt, oil and filter, spark plugs changed as well, it is false economy not to do so. The more you drive it with a probable blown head gasket the more likely you are to do further damage so sooner rather than later is my advise.

As Raistlin commented about it being April 1st, the is no product anywhere where you just pour a fluid into where ever and it cures blown head gaskets, perhaps a comedian told you about it.

I am presuming you have had the car block tested, this is where they put a small bottle with a V rubber bung bottom to it in the header tank with some CO2 sensitive fluid in it, so now once the engine is run any exhaust fumes coming up through the water system makes the fluid change colour to confirm the head gasket is blown. There is normally a small charge for doing this as the fluid used is quite expensive, you might be lucky and get it done for free as some garages do it for no money on the assumption they are going to get the work from you and re coup their money that way.

Let us all know what you decide to do, i suggest you get some quotes and that will help you make up your mind.

Regards Mike169

Thanks guys. I decided to keep it and it's in a shop that specializes in MR2's.

• 2 years later...
On 03/03/2014 at 11:05 PM, gillian8612 said:

There is a product called Kseal which will do the job they say its  perminant and I had good results with my car . But for peace of mind do the job properly . It worked in mine for over a year and only failed because the drain bolt in the water pipe under the car corroded away and blow the coolant at 70+ .? On the motorway.