Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can The Bleeping When Reverse Is Engaged Be Disabled?

Its a warning for others, but you could remove / disable the speaker and use the parking sensors beep.

Normally behind the rear panel on the passenger side, pop it in reverse and get someone to track the beep.

Can the bleeping when reversed is engaged be disabled to accommodate parking sensors?

I know it's possible for the dealer to reset it on the Gen 3½ (2012 on) Prius, but not sure if possible on all Gen 3s - worth asking you dealer, but beware, some dealers are more helpful than others with things like this. My dealer did it on my Prius, which makes the reversing sensors more usable.

Not sure the reversing beep can be heard outside the car?

On a Gen 3, It apparently takes like all of 5 minutes to plug in their test tool to reprogram the reversing bleeper to a single bleep, how unhelpful must a dealer be to refuse to do that - it probably takes more time to argue with the customer and be unhelpful?

Can the bleeping when reversed is engaged be disabled?

Certainly can on a gen3 prius and gen1 auris.

It is a customer option but is done by the dealer (it is in the manual somewhere).

Or it can be done with a scangauge 2 ;)

Its a warning for others

Not this one.

You can only hear it inside the car.

It is a warning to the driver.

It's been done on my 09 Gen 3 - not by me, it was like that when I bought it last August. I specifically asked that the beep be disabled, as I can tell when I'm in reverse because I only select it when I want to go backwards and I can tell whether the car is going backwards by observing the direction in which the scenery goes past the windows. The salesman checked, and it had already been done. Anyhow, leaving aside my sarcastic ranting at electronic nannies, the car had reversing sensors fitted by the first owner. It beeps when I first select reverse (I can live with that, which is good because you can't turn that off) and then leaves me alone. It makes no sense to have reversing sensors witha constant beep going - how do you know whether the beep is to tell you that you're going backwards or to tell you that you are about to run over Mrs Jones next door?

Now, a beep on the outside, that might be handy, particularly as the Prius reverses in silence. I'm sure Mrs Jones would appreciate it. I wonder if it would be possible to reroute the wiring for the standard beep to an outside speaker. Probably not possible, but would be a lot better than the way the car is currently.

• Like 1

Well I have bit the bullet and booked the car for rear sensors on Friday. The Company doing the job have said they will look into cancelling the reverse bleeper through the OBD or whatever the gizmo is called, so we shall see how it goes. I will update at the weekend for any interested parties.

Bit late with this reply, but just for the record it can be done yourself in both the Gen 2 and Gen 3. Methods for both are posted on Priuschat. You don't need any tools for the Gen 2. Gen 3 is done using a ScanGauge XGauge. Same is true for the seatbelt beeps.

Bit late with this reply, but just for the record it can be done yourself in both the Gen 2 and Gen 3. Methods for both are posted on Priuschat. You don't need any tools for the Gen 2. Gen 3 is done using a ScanGauge XGauge. Same is true for the seatbelt beeps.

Thanks for that info, but of course you have to have a ScanGauge to do it!!! I assume the guys doing the parking sensors will have said instrument and be able to silence both for me at the same time. Forever hopeful anyway.

Yes it takes a minute or so to set up the XGauge (entering 4 numbers) and a few seconds to implement the change. The SG does not need to remain connected after, so it can be 'borrowed'. IMHO this should not be charged for.

I asked the dealer to turn mine to "single beep" whilst it was in for it's first service last month. They did so and didn't charge for it. I find the single beep is a much better way to inform you its is in reverse. When it was beeping all the time I found myself tuning out from it as otherwise it was too irritating but now when going into reverse I listen for the beep to confirm it is in reverse before taking my foot off the brake.

I asked the dealer to turn mine to "single beep" whilst it was in for it's first service last month. They did so and didn't charge for it. I find the single beep is a much better way to inform you its is in reverse. When it was beeping all the time I found myself tuning out from it as otherwise it was too irritating but now when going into reverse I listen for the beep to confirm it is in reverse before taking my foot off the brake.

Couldn't they have turned it right off? It shows you on the dash what gear you are in and no other car bleeps at you, we'll not one that I've ever owned.

The ECU does not have that option - it is either at an interval or once.

On my gen 2, I don't find the bleeper intrusive, and I find it very easy to tune out (I often forget it has even sounded when in reverse). When this topic comes up on the Gen 3, I often wonder what difference there is between the Gen 2 and Gen 3, and is it really that annoying?

The ECU does not have that option - it is either at an interval or once.

On my gen 2, I don't find the bleeper intrusive, and I find it very easy to tune out (I often forget it has even sounded when in reverse). When this topic comes up on the Gen 3, I often wonder what difference there is between the Gen 2 and Gen 3, and is it really that annoying?

The Gen2 may be quieter perhaps? My wife's Auris has a reverse beep which is set at a reasonable volume and doesn't bother me, or her, at all. My Prius is set so loud it actually overdrives the speaker. Whilst that's all very rock'n'roll - "if it's too loud you're too old" and all that - I do actually find the volume enough to be annoying.

Unfortunately at the last service I forgot to request for mine to be disabled. It will definitely be on the list for next time.

It could be, or maybe Toyota used a cheaper quality speaker/piezo in the later model?

I don't see what all the reversing beeper fuss is about, it's not as if you're all reversing down the road for miles is it, it's only beeping for a few seconds ?

crikey, what an intolerant lot :P

Fair point, though I found it annoying when reversing on the drive, the volume of the reversing beeps drowned out the parking sensors. Since sorting it out to the single beep, now I can hear the sensors when I need to

Nowt to do with intolerance. Firstly, this shouldn't be thrust upon us by some numpty in an office and as Aceshigh says, if it drowns out the reversing bleepers, it's not an aid, but counter productive.

I did put a smiley at the end dave, but hey I know some things annoy some people more than others, I hated the road noise on the Gen 3 so I traded it for the Prius Plus.

I don't have reversing sensors, I have a basic camera (no guide lines), but I do have the 8 speaker JBL Green edge Stereo which drowns out the reverse bleeps B)

I had to postpone the fitting of my rear parking sensors until Wednesday due to unforeseen circumstances, so until I get them done and see what amendments the guys make to the dreaded bleeper, I'll reserve judgement.

Well, I now have my reversing sensors fitted, which is very nice and probably safer. The downside is that they couldn't change the pesky reverse gear bleeper to a single bleep, so now when I reverse, it sounds like a Wurlitzer!!! When I get the recall, I'll have to get Toyota to do it.

When ordering my Gen 3 Prius I asked to have the reverse bleeps turned into a single beep.

Dealer had no problem with this so must be easily carried out.

• 2 months later...

I tried the gen 2 hack for single reverse beep that was on prius chat but after many attempts I gave up

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links