Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can The Bleeping When Reverse Is Engaged Be Disabled?

The trip display does need to be on Odo, not Trip A or B, first.

Here is a copy of the method from Priuschat for ease of reference for others:

Charles Suitt

Hi bobkat21

Here's the "DANCE" to disable the backup buzzer:

1. Sit in driver's seat - POWER ON (No passenger or heavy object in passenger seat);

2. Set the Trip/ODO to ODO, NOT Trip A or Trip B; Cycle through even if ODO already showing;

3. POWER OFF;

4. POWER ON to "Ready"; and WITHIN SIX SECONDS;

5. Press and HOLD the Trip/ODO button FOR 10 SECONDS OR MORE, then WHILE STILL HOLDING THE Trip/ODO button;

6. With your FOOT ON THE BRAKE, shift from P(Park button) to R, then back to P; then release the Trip/ODO button;

7. The speedometer will show "b on" or "b off" where you'd normally see the odometer reading. (If you followed the steps successfully!)

8. Press the Trip/ODO button to toggle the beep on or off;

9. POWER OFF

Note: If your 12-volt Battery is disconnected or discharged, this setting will revert to the factory standard (beep on).

It's a little tricky but will work.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/backup-alarm.10787/#ixzz32gxiOEzA

The trip display does need to be on Odo, not Trip A or B, first.

Here is a copy of the method from Priuschat for ease of reference for others:

Charles Suitt

Hi bobkat21

Here's the "DANCE" to disable the backup buzzer:

1. Sit in driver's seat - POWER ON (No passenger or heavy object in passenger seat);

2. Set the Trip/ODO to ODO, NOT Trip A or Trip B; Cycle through even if ODO already showing;

3. POWER OFF;

4. POWER ON to "Ready"; and WITHIN SIX SECONDS;

5. Press and HOLD the Trip/ODO button FOR 10 SECONDS OR MORE, then WHILE STILL HOLDING THE Trip/ODO button;

6. With your FOOT ON THE BRAKE, shift from P(Park button) to R, then back to P; then release the Trip/ODO button;

7. The speedometer will show "b on" or "b off" where you'd normally see the odometer reading. (If you followed the steps successfully!)

8. Press the Trip/ODO button to toggle the beep on or off;

9. POWER OFF

Note: If your 12-volt battery is disconnected or discharged, this setting will revert to the factory standard (beep on).

It's a little tricky but will work.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/backup-alarm.10787/#ixzz32gxiOEzA

Is this only for the Gen2 or Gen 3 as well?

The Gen 3 reversing beep setting is programmed with a test tool connected to the OBD II (Diagnostic socket). Give your dealer a ring, it takes minutes to do and they shouldn't charge, but if they are busy and you just turn up with out an appointment! :death:

Is this only for the Gen2 or Gen 3 as well?

Gen2 only. Apologies, I should have been clearer. I was posting to follow on from Alan1572.

Gen3 does not have such a simple user 'hack'. To DIY on a Gen3 you can use SGII.

I did these all myself (reverse and seat belt beeps) on both Gen2 and Gen3 and can vouch that they are safe to DIY.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried doing this myself, but no matter how many times I try I cannot get the odo to show the letters B on or B off.

I have spoken to Mr T whilst my car was in for a 60K service and they tried, but failed to silence the beep. The service manager suggested that the car may have a slightly older firmware and this mod is not available.

He did say that he is going to speak to his "Tech Guru and get him to ring me back tomorrow.

I wait with no hope though.

I think we're all getting the gen2 and gen3 mixed up.

Also a good reason for everybody to update their profiles to reflect their current car ;)

The gen 3 can have the reversing beep switched to just a single beep when Reverse is engaged. My dealers didn't charge and I'm sure if you ask them at next service, they'll oblige. If you're not normally a customer of theirs, then I wouldn't be surprised if they do charge.

The gen3 has trip A and B and is accessed by pressing the steering wheel button for about 3-4 seconds. Not sure about the gen2.

The Gen 2 also has trip A and B, but is accessed by hitting the trip/odo switch on the centre dash below the MFD.

I tried following the instructions given earlier in this thread, but alas it didn't work

I was never able to disable it on my 2nd gen Prius, drove me round the bend that car with its 'Toyota knows best' on everything.

• Like 1

I have just had a long chat with a tech guru from Pinkstones in Stoke.

Apparently the Gen 2 Prius cannot have the reverse beeper modified.

This mod was allowed from the Gen 3 onwards.

He has said that he has spent hours trying to mod the beeper following all "tips" given on the net but to no avail.

Oh well, looks as if I will just have to put up with the beeping.

My gen 2 never had the reverse bleeping. It had reversing sensors which did the business, but not constant, unlike my gen 3 which has both and still drives me nuts. Totally unnecessary but Mr T knows best!!!!!

Not true. I did it on my Gen 2 using the instructions posted before.

It was a UK 2008 T-Spirit.

Not true. I did it on my Gen 2 using the instructions posted before.

It was a UK 2008 T-Spirit.

Interesting. I tried lots of times with my 2005 T Spirit, it never worked. Wonder if they did a software update between those dates.

Yes I have tried those 2 sites.

It seems that the European version of the Gen 2 cannot have the beep modified.

I am NOT about to strip the dash and smash that little speaker, thus reducing the value when I go to exchange the car.

Thanks for the links anyway.

• 5 years later...

‘Tis interesting how people get hot under the collar over trivia, and talk of seeing that they were moving in reverse.

I bought a different make of car, 14 years ago, and paid extra for reversing detectors. Over the years, these detectors have proved most useful by far, especially when having parked at the side of the road. At the moment of the short reversing distance , before leaving a parking place , by driving forward, the world seems populated by thousands of pedestrians who decide to cross the road behind me and step off the kerb at the sight of me moving backward. Fortunately my detectors prevents my car from hitting the legs of all those people.

I do have a switch to make those detectors inactive, but would be most foolish to so do.

Now , the bleeps on my iQ are quite subdued, so I am trying to find  an alternative  louder solution  and perhaps of a lower frequency.

This beep is simply telling you reverse is selected.  It's not linked to any sort of sensor, it's just a regular beep every second or two the whole time reverse is selected.

It became even more annoying to those who had reversing sensors fitted, as when they detected something you got both sets of beeps.  Some people resorted to a solution that involved wire cutters!

It's right, the UK Gen 2 Prius did not have a disable feature, that was introduced on the Gen 3 onwards.

• Like 1

It's right, the UK Gen 2 Prius did not have a disable feature, that was introduced on the Gen 3 onwards.

For completeness, I can report as a previous UK Gen 2 Prius owner that I did successfully disable this feature using a third party device. It was called a CoastalEtech Lockpick3 and was a quick & easy installation under the front passenger seat (I have/had no technical skills).

I posted with some pictures on PriusChat then:
https://priuschat.com/threads/coastal-tech-lockpick-3.49798/

Gosh, Coastal Tech - I'd forgotten all about them, and surprised to see they are still around.

They did a number of interesting and clever products for the Gen 1 & 2 Prius range, including:

• Cruise Control switches
  • overrides that removed the SatNav warning screen
  • auto door locking above a certain speed
  • electric boot release for the Gen 1 (otherwise key/physical cable release)
  • reverse camera adaptors for the centre screen (before they became standard)
  • EV mode switch for US Gen 2 (they had the feature but not the switch)
  • a neat dash accessory for the Gen 1 that showed a red LED when the engine was running and a green one when the real brakes cut on to assist the regen brakes.

They were great products as in most (if not all) cases they connected to existing terminals and required no alteration to the car's wiring.

As the Gen 2 Prius sales started to rocket they became a victim of their own success with lots of complaints about products taking a very long time to arrive, and I thought they'd disappeared but they still seem to be active, although no Prius products are listed any more.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links