Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 Avensis 2.0 D4D Revs At 12000Rpm At Idle With Heater On?

SmithCraig896

2003 Avensis 2.0 D4D revs at 12000rpm at idle with heater on? Why is this? The settings are set to HI to each side, fan speed is at 5 and is blowing hot air but the revs shoot upto 12000rpm? I find this strange as it's drinking to much diesel. Any thoughts on this please.

And with the heater off, the revs drop down to 1800rpm. Is this normal?

Um, I think your rpm readings may have been typed incorrectly. Can you check them again - 12,000rpm is probably not a correct reading. Way too high.

if normal idle is ~800rpm & with extra load (heater, air con etc. etc.) it goes up to ~1200rpm that's normal.

Um, I think your rpm readings may have been typed incorrectly. Can you check them again - 12,000rpm is probably not a correct reading. Way too high.

I think that was a typo mate i'm sure (hope lol) he meant 1200 rpm :yes: .

whats the temp guage showing ?

are the water hoses hot?

is the heater matrix pipe hot.?

do you have enough water inside the radiator?

do the fans switch on and off?

Perfectly normal i'm lead to believe its intended to get the car warmed up quicker in lower outside temps its annoying though for me ,if i could disable the setting on my car i would as i would rather be in control of the cabin heater not the car,and fundamentally as you state it uses more diesel.

Perfectly normal i'm lead to believe its intended to get the car warmed up quicker in lower outside temps its annoying though for me ,if i could disable the setting on my car i would as i would rather be in control of the cabin heater not the car,and fundamentally as you state it uses more diesel.

I suspect the OP might have another issue.

It sounds like car is warm but still revs up.

to stop it from reving up and you want to become scrooj, turn the temp over to 16 degrees

even when warm if you apply extra load (aircon, max heat/fan, headlights etc.) the idle speed will increase to service the extra load via the alternator.

even when warm if you apply extra load (aircon, max heat/fan, headlights etc.) the idle speed will increase to service the extra load via the alternator.

Aircon yes and when its cold.

Nothing else should increase the idle.

eh lights, fans heated seats etc.

well, they did on my T25 & they do on my T27.

well, they did on my T25 & they do on my T27.

Only when i turn the aircon on.

It dont do it on my MK1 avensis, the facelift.

or any of the other 30 avensis i know on the taxi rank.

nothing to worry about,my 06 d4d does this so I looked it up in the owners manual and it states that this will happen when the engine is 'cold' cant' remember why but I should look in your book if your worried ,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links