Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Filter

smudge-1991

hi am due to service my car and was wondering if there was anything better than the standard air filter that could be the replacement instead of the usual crappy paper one I have done the usual cold air replacements on other cars but the auris has the MAF sensor that seems like it cant be moved/removed and dont want to build something custom just yet so all i can find is k&n panelfilters but never really liked k&n is there anything else out there ...58 plate 2.0 d4d

thanks

I just want to point out that, replacing an oem airfilter with an aftermarket one can have adverse effects.

Suggest you read up about filtration and layers.

Aftermarket filters do not filtrate the air well, all of them need to be oiled before use and need to be washed and oiled regulary.

i know about that from previous cars and being a mechanic but i don't want to start modifying the auris too much jut yet i know that a car with performance air kits has to be monitored kept clean and oiled all the time ... i maintain my car better than most do i would imagine ... i just wanted to know if anyone has used anything else other thn the paper filters ...

Only can say what I use if it's any use

K&n panel with front mounted cold air feed

No MAF problems

• Like 1

See I'm with you on this one aggo I thought a cold air feed with some ducting going to the front grill ...

Aidsy I'm guessing u don't put the lid on yours cos it the defeats the purpose and I am also gonna guess than u have left the bottom part of the airbox is to stop heat soak but it's also the matter of modifying somet was it easy

Well the lid doesn't fit haha. Yeah I left it there so that I could make a heat shield at some point in the future

Have u thought about removing it and putting something in it's place rather than modding it just get a heat surround and bolting it in the same holes as the original box would be

I hadn't actually no. That might be a better idea :)

It's something I usually do for a lot of old cars people use for rally .... I normally just air hose up to where it goes then stopping the hose about 6 inches from the cone and it makes a nice ease cold air without the expensive cold air intake box just heat wrap ur current box or like u have just feed cold air and point the hose onto the cone ... I noticed there are a couple of high pressure places that hose could run to on the Auris

Nowt wrong with the K&N panel filter at all, as many of us actually use one. However I have just about sussed a potential replacement intake - just fine tuning the fitment, before testing it properly on a dyno. That way I can tell if everything's working within accepted parameters (if the MAF and ECU are happy). It MAY even make more power, only time will tell. But I'm more interested in the change in noise it will make - should be interesting. :)

What's ur idea for something better uncle buck ...

any idea's of what material to make the heat shroud out of? need something fairly cheap and easy to work with.

Wot I would do is get some high grade plastics with a 90 degree bend to go round it then just titanium heat wrap around the outside of it to keep the heat off it ...

sounds like a plan, when i have some money haha, any particular type of plastic?

Just some 3m plastic I would use once again if you come up I can show you what I would do / intend to do

What's ur idea for something better uncle buck ...

Very simple Ben - it's a hard pipe intake with a decent cone filter but using a modified original MAF housing to make life easier. With the piping heat insulated in manifold ribbon & the filter well away from the engine (pointing into the hole between the Battery & wing), it shouldn't suffer from much heat soak whilst moving at all. It's only at a standstill in traffic that a build-up of heat would adversely affect power readings. That, I can live with. But it's only an experiment & will be tested on a dyno to see how it performs.

Well you will have to let us know when u have done dyno runs as you are having the same idea I am ... I'm just wondering what tubing to use thinking I will change th current black hose for a silicone one then the hard plastic for the maf then a cone into the same place as that I'm just wondering what sort of hosing and ducting I can use to have cold air blown onto it

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I raided a couple of scrap cars for some building materials a megane 225 and a landrover free lander mk1 neither had the maf housing slightly dissapointed but I have some flat edges on the free lander parts to mount that properly so gonna bein putting it together ... Tbh the garage had raided most of the maganes intake for the track car they have built but got some hosing and some shaped plastics just wondering if I have enough flexi parts to get to one of the radiator grills for the most forced induction without chassis modification will put up some pics when complete might not be pretty but will give you all some ideas if you can ram raid some scrap cars

Sent from my HTC One SV using Toyota OC mobile app

Ok so while messing around I have notices that the front arch liner is right under the box now if someone wanted to the highest pressure on most cars is where the bonnet meets the windscreen (sudden change of direction causes pressure) or the wheel arch due to rotating parts

Recently I was driving a insignia vxr and while playing under the bonnet I looked at his air intake and Vauxhall actually tap into the wheel arch itself exposing the bottom of the airbox direct into the airbox aswell as a standard grill intake ... Which was serving no purpose as it was similar to the Auris hose ie pointing the wrong way now if you either cut veins into the wheel arch liner exposing the dead space where the air box is or running a hose into the wheel arch liner up toward the airbox probably pointing it at the air box with a decent panel filter should be better flow... I haven't got the funds to do this atm

Sent from my HTC One SV using Toyota OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links