Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mazda 2 Based Yaris For America

FROSTYBALLS

In today's Autocar, there is a report on the Mazda Hazumi concept - that will become the next Mazda 2. Mazda's new platform for this car will also form the basis in some markets, including the US, for the next Toyota Yaris. The new Mazda plant in Mexico will build both versions of the car.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/mazda-hazumi-concept-previews-mazda-2-replacement-2014-geneva-auto-show.html

http://blog.caranddriver.com/next-generation-mazda-2-and-a-subcompact-toyota-to-be-produced-at-mazdas-mexican-plant/

Now where have I seen those headlights recently...

Does that mean the next Yaris will be based on the Mazda, or just that the Yaris will be two totally different cars in the US vs rest of the world, kinda like it was with the Mk1...? :unsure:

Think there will be two distinct versions - one for the US/Mexico (where the Mazda 2 version will be built by Mazda), and another for Asia/Europe.

Mazda have also bought hybrid technology from Toyota for the 3 Hybrid.

This is sad- if I wanted a Mazda...I'd have bought one. Madza 2 does not have the reliability of the Yaris. Mexican built cars have sunk Ford's reliability.

VW seem to have no problems with the reliability of their Mexican built models - Jetta, New Beetle, Beetle hatchback - which are exported to the UK.

VW seem to have no problems with the reliability of their Mexican built models - Jetta, New Beetle, Beetle hatchback - which are exported to the UK.

The Beetle has much worse than average reliability. Other VW's reliability is mixed at best. Nothing vlose to the reliability of a Yaris.

As regards Mazda reliability, we've had three Mazdas from new and reliability was good. A 2003 Mazda 323, 2003 Mazda Premacy and a 2007 Mazda 2. The 323 was kept for three years without any problems. The Premacy was kept for four years, and had one issue where the drivers airbag was replaced under warranty. The Mazda 2 was kept for 4.7 years, and the only issue was having the coil pack and HT lead replaced under warranty.

The 2 was built by Ford in Valencia, Spain.

• Like 1

I don't hold with all that bollards about a car is built somewhere, therefore it is a poor quality. Poor quality comes from poor management

The "Toyota way" is a manufacturing process that is copied throughout the world by hundreds of companies. It makes no difference if the Toyota way is operated in Japan, the UK, France or Timbuktu, it is a process of continuous improvement (Kaizen) that can be operated anywhere in the world

Others may have failed by operating in other countries, it is not how Toyota operate

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links