Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2.0 Vvti 2006 Using Excessive Oil

GSmith

Help !

My early 2006 Avensis Tspirit is using around 1.5L of oil per 1200 miles (approx), car has done around 110k and otherwise runs fine. I believe this is a known design issue at Toyota. Who do I contact at Toyota and what are they prepared to do about this ??

hi, if you search the forum you should find plenty of info on this but I thought that it had been cured by 2006 production.

At any rate you should ask your Toyota dealership as they should be able to confirm whether your car's engine is within the affected serial nos.

Beyond that I suspect that you are outside the extended warranty period for the issue.

Help !

My early 2006 Avensis Tspirit is using around 1.5L of oil per 1200 miles (approx), car has done around 110k and otherwise runs fine. I believe this is a known design issue at Toyota. Who do I contact at Toyota and what are they prepared to do about this ??

There is not a known issue with the 1AZ 2.0 vvti engine, do you have a full Toyota service history, are you the original owner, if so you may get a small contribution if a fault is diagnosed and confirmed by your Toyota dealer, if you have non Toyota history and are not the original owner you will not get any assitance.

The known and recognised issue for which Toyota applied an warranty extension of 7years/112500k only affected the ZZ engine family not your AZ engine:

3ZZ 1.6

4ZZ 1.4

1ZZ 1.8

Not 1AZ 2.0 or 2ZZ 1.8 vvtli 190 engine

Help !

There is not a known issue with the 1AZ 2.0 vvti engine, do you have a full Toyota service history, are you the original owner, if so you may get a small contribution if a fault is diagnosed and confirmed by your Toyota dealer, if you have non Toyota history and are not the original owner you will not get any assitance.

The known and recognised issue for which Toyota applied an warranty extension of 7years/112500k only affected the ZZ engine family not your AZ engine:

3ZZ 1.6

4ZZ 1.4

1ZZ 1.8

Not 1AZ 2.0 or 2ZZ 1.8 vvtli 190 engine

Gordon,

Is this car petrol or diesel? I can't see from the OP what the engine is but in saying that it is past the 7 year limit anyway. What I would like to know Gordon, have you had the car from new, has it been serviced regularly and the correct oil used throughout it's life.

Pete.

the topic header says 2.0 VVTi so it's a petrol.

the topic header says 2.0 VVTi so it's a petrol.

I should have gone to Specsavers Scott :-)) !!!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Correct, it is petrol. Got the car from main dealer with around 24k on the clock. It has been regularly serviced but by my local garage (who do a great job and are within walking distance). The car hasn't been hammered. Oil used is always 5W 30, Castrol GTX or Magnatec.

I'm somewhat suspicious that I'm being told that either the problem was solved or it doesn't affect my engine, as I have the problem! Exactly as described by others. There is no oil leak and it doesn't appear to be burning it.

You know what they say, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's usually a duck.

Anyway, looks like I'm on my own on this one. I am trying a trick I read worked for someone else, switching to a high performance petrol (because of the cleaning additives which are absent in cheap supermarket fuel) for 3 or 4 tankfulls. Also, read somewhere that switching to a thinner oil may help.

It is too soon to tell but worth a go and nothing to lose. It's a shame because otherwise the car is fine, but I've never had a vehicle using this amount of oil before, it is ridiculous.

I'd switch to using 10w40 semi synthetic - it meets the temperature requirements in the handbook and a lot of dealers were using it in the oil burning vvti days. It can be picked up silly cheap, think I paid £15 for 5 litres from Toyota. You have nothing to loose. The Castrol that your garage has been using is a perfectly good oil.