Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Probs....

Jimlad

Ok.. some people may remember last week I was having some funny stalling issues. Well it happened againt today, so I got annoyed and went to the garage.

An hour later after loads of fiddling and testing they sussed it... lol

They said the top end gaskets most probably shaggered. Not too bad tho as they said about £80 for the parts. :)

Thank god... thought it was gonna be something far worse.

They also said that I should get a new flywheel ( I just cancelled my one from fensport.. doh ! ). Because of how bad the clutch is at the moment it will be creating funny bits on the flywheel which could lead to it cracking because it's old car.

Fensport.... can I have that flywheel after all ??.... ta !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimlad

• ZeroBlade

• midmotorsteve

• JappyBeast

They said the top end gaskets most probably shaggered. Not too bad tho as they said about £80 for the parts. :)

Thank god... thought it was gonna be something far worse.

Doesn't that mean HEAD GASKET???

well top of engine you have rocker cover gasket, not going to be that, only other is headgasket. Yeap standard toyota gasket for my n/a was £50 + vat so sounds about right, millway just quoted me £420 if i was just doing head gasket.

May as well get a HKS gasket £175 + ARP bolts £95 so it's all held down when you get the big turbo Jim......

:eek:

old jim, all that money & so vague! :P

if it is a head gasket which it sounds like (as the only other top end gasket i can think of is a rocker cover), u aint gonna be happy with the bill fella. :(

ask for one of those nice competition steel ones that peeps often talk about - that baby aint gonna blow. :thumbsup:

get ur head skimmed too, by a professional machinist.

EDIT: just seen midmotorsteves response after adding mine, ditto.

well steve & dave basically just sed what i was thinking. didnt wanna scare ya by saying head gasked is gonna cost a bit, lol :)

-Z

HKS gasket £175 + ARP bolts

What does "skimming it" mean ? ... also. How much to do it all/put it all together etc?

They're gonna do some more tests on Tuesday just to make sure.

if you get somewhere that knows mr2's and has a decent labour rate £400 - £500 labour rebuilding

+ head skim £120

+ HKS metal gasket (you'd be silly to stay standard, i know you wouldn't anyway)

£175

+ ARP head bolts ( as head gasket) £95

So about £800 to £900 ish

:eek:

skimming makes sure the head is straight do won't leak again, also metal gaskets are thicker so it keeps compression ratio the same. :thumbsup:

skimming makes sure the head is straight do won't leak again, also metal gaskets are thicker so it keeps compression ratio the same. :thumbsup:

Yeah.. so everything is flat!

Head gasket is a massive job labour wise...

You putting the Yellow/black respray on hold for a while Jimlad?

Don't get this ?? If it is your head gasket it would not come and go like that..

to tell you the truth I would get a second garage to have a look.. When we got our toy it was doing the same and it turned out to be the ECU breaking down..Paul.

He told me on the phone that they did a compression test so it sounds about right...

Its not the head gasket blown. Dont think he will need it skimmed either.

He told me on the phone that they did a compression test so it sounds about right...

Its not the head gasket blown. Dont think he will need it skimmed either.

What I can't get over is the fact that it comes and goe's with compression it's there all the time ?? unless it's a crack in a vacum pipe ??

Unless James witnessed the compression test then I dont know.... he should have coolant/oil issues also but he didnt say.

Do we think he is being taken for a ride?

to be honest, my imediate thought was they are talking **** as head gasket is usually symptomless in the 2's, first you'd know is loss of coolant, or lumpy idle.

I bet its just electrical. Then again rev3s got metal head gaskets as stock 'cause before that they let go when the boost is upped...

With all the future mods planned a metal gasket will need to be done anyway, just don't take it to a dodgy garage to have the work done.

i think it could be a number of factors. if the seals broken a little more on one side, or worn out more there, then depending on the movements of the car + vibrations etc it can allow that bit to lift. similarly if the cars being run hard / soft, levels of combustiob can cause a little left. then u got temp differences :eek:

also if the head gets soft (oo, err <_<) then it would loosen slightly again loosing its ability to stay nicely down in place.

Not really good is it. thats why u should ALWAY get a new head rather than a 2nd hand one. so much **** that could happend. even fractures that u can't see. but will still cause problems at weird times.

-Z

whatever it is.. Jimlad will still throw £1000 at it to get it sorted.

Should we arrange an AA van to tow him to JAE?

my 2 had a weird stalling problem, i took it to a garage who plugged it into their diagnostics computer and it turned out to be the throttle switch, had that part replaced, cost me £120 for the part plus fitting.

hope it's not your HG, if i was facing a £900 bill i'd be :crybaby:

:thumbsup:

thinking about it now jimlad, your problem is very similar to the one i had, you could be driving along and it would just stall, give it 10 minutes and it would start again, sometimes it would only do it once and other times it would be a few times. Then it would go for days or weeks without doing it again :blink: proper bugged me at the time but as i said, all fixed now.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links