Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Cranking But Won't Ignite

Emmoor4

Hi all!

I have an 02 Yaris TS and it has been great, up until about 2 months ago when I started it up and it cut out almost straight away. After that I tried starting it again only for it to crank over but not ignite. I found that cranking for about 30 seconds and pumping the throttle seem to get it going again and it seemed to be fine until yesterday when it did it again (exact same story of starting then cutting out etc.) I have taken it to a garage and because it's happening rarely, they cannot determine what it is.

I was wondering whether this is common in Yaris' and whether anyone knows what it might be? The only answer I've had from mechanics is that it seems to be cutting off its own fuel supply (immobiliser seems fine as light goes out when key is in the ignition). I've also found nothing in common with both situations. And I don't want to ruin my starter motor! 😞

Iv had this a couple of times on my 1.3 yaris in the 5 years Iv had it. It happens if I turn the engine off straight away when I forgot something and had to go back into my flat in the morning, then try restarting and it struggles. Like you say , pump the gas and it fires up. 😉

Hi all!

I have an 02 Yaris TS and it has been great, up until about 2 months ago when I started it up and it cut out almost straight away. After that I tried starting it again only for it to crank over but not ignite. I found that cranking for about 30 seconds and pumping the throttle seem to get it going again and it seemed to be fine until yesterday when it did it again (exact same story of starting then cutting out etc.) I have taken it to a garage and because it's happening rarely, they cannot determine what it is.

I was wondering whether this is common in Yaris' and whether anyone knows what it might be? The only answer I've had from mechanics is that it seems to be cutting off its own fuel supply (immobiliser seems fine as light goes out when key is in the ignition). I've also found nothing in common with both situations. And I don't want to ruin my starter motor!

if the fuel supply is being lost then i would suggedt you look the fuel pump and or the fuse / relay.

Hmm, mine seems fine if I start it up then turn it off straight after as I just tried it

Well the garage said they had a look at everything but I'm not totally convinced. I'm up country visting relatives at the moment but when I get back on Wednesday I'll pop into ask my mechanic friend see what he thinks.

It's a really weird one though.

It could be alsorts,

Fuelpump faulty, filter faulty.

fuses faulty

relay faulty.

you need to remove and inspect the fuses and relays.

Mine did it when cold... Almost seemed like it was flooded when trying to restart.

Mine feels more like its run out of fuel when it first cuts out