Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Sr - Write Off?

TimTaylor

post-127627-0-11510300-1394289545_thumb.post-127627-0-18451300-1394289548_thumb.post-127627-0-29118700-1394289551_thumb.

Side impact from a Toyota Landcruiser of all things... opinion seems to be it's a write-off. Only 6 months old, hardly any miles on the clock. I'd be happy if it is declared a write off to be honest. What you can't see in the images, is that there are creases right back to the C pillar, the rear quarter panel, and across the top of the door. The B pillar section has been indented by almost a foot into the car. The interior is all cracked and bent; the seats are pressed up hard against where the interior was pushed in.

I've owned Toyota's since 2002, and had a no fault prang in every one! Time for a change maybe? Toyota no longer make the SR, instead it's an Icon or Icon+ both of which I dislike intensely. The body style is not the same as the SR, and the 3-door is only available in a 1.0 engine! Sorry to anyone who owns one, but the Trend looks like something from Legoland inside, IMHO. But if I change, I have no idea what to - appreciate this is a Toyota forum, but I'm no petrol head, so I have no idea which car to go for. Sat in a Fiesta and it felt like a tin can.

The fact that you've had a no-fault claim in every Toyota you've had is coincidental.

Think your options of a 3 door supermini are a bit limited:

Audi A1; Citroen DS3; Fiat Punto; Ford Fiesta (which you appear to have discounted); Hyundai i20 (being replaced with a new model later in 2014); Kia Rio; Mini Cooper (new model on sale this month); Peugeot 208; Seat Ibiza; Suzuki Swift; Vauxhall Corsa; VW Polo.

Be aware that VAG (Audi, Seat, Skoda, VW) warranties have some surprising exclusions after six months.

Mazda have stopped importing the 3 door Mazda 2 - presumably slimming down the range due to the new model coming out later this year.

Cars such as the Fiat 500, Seat Mio, Skoda Citigo, Toyota IQ, VW Up! are in the next class down - city cars and are appreciably smaller.

The fact that you've had a no-fault claim in every Toyota you've had is coincidental.

Think your options of a 3 door supermini are a bit limited:

Audi A1; Citroen DS3; Fiat Punto; Ford Fiesta (which you appear to have discounted); Hyundai i20 (being replaced with a new model later in 2014); Kia Rio; Mini Cooper (new model on sale this month); Peugeot 208; Seat Ibiza; Suzuki Swift; Vauxhall Corsa; VW Polo.

Be aware that VAG (Audi, Seat, Skoda, VW) warranties have some surprising exclusions after six months.

Mazda have stopped importing the 3 door Mazda 2 - presumably slimming down the range due to the new model coming out later this year.

Cars such as the Fiat 500, Seat Mio, Skoda Citigo, Toyota IQ, VW Up! are in the next class down - city cars and are appreciably smaller.

So, do you think mine will be a write-off?

I accept the accidents have all been coincidental, but it's a coincidence that makes me a little uncomfortable. When I was a young lad, I drove Cortina's, Peugeots, Astra's etc, probably like an idiot, and never had a scrape. Now I'm into middle age, and driving decent cars by choosing a Toyota, people seem to be trying to kill me!

So, I'm now in a quandary. I really, really do not like the shape of the Yaris in it's 'default' finish; that's why I went for an SR 3-door, as it just looks better in my opinion with the rear spoiler, not to mention the trim inside. I'm not adverse to a 5 door car, in fact, I'd prefer one, but not in the Yaris. I've arrived at the Yaris via a Corolla, a Verso, an Avensis T-Spirit, an Auris SR180, and finally an IQ :crazy: (let me tell you, going from a SR180 to an IQ was 'interesting'...), so I certainly like my Toyota's, even if What Car don't,

The current Yaris line up however just doesn't whet my appetite. I don't think I could financially stretch to an Auris of the spec I would enjoy, so that leaves me car-less, and Toyota one customer less.

Dacia Sandero anyone?

Can't be certain as to whether it will be a write-off until your insurance company have assessed it. If not, I'm sure that I wouldn't want an insurance approved repairer to do the fairly extensive repair - much prefer a Toyota bodyshop to do it.

If you were the first registered owner, and the cost of repairs exceeds 50% of the original cost of the vehicle, your insurance company may, if you have the new car replacement clause on your policy, be looking to replace the car with a new one to equivalent spec.

Although the damage does look extensive, my one sister had a 3 door VW Polo repaired with similar damage - in a non-fault accident, a motorcyclist drove head on into their car at the B-pillar. Extensive side damage similar to yours with creases in both the roof and the floor.

Can't be certain as to whether it will be a write-off until your insurance company have assessed it. If not, I'm sure that I wouldn't want an insurance approved repairer to do the fairly extensive repair - much prefer a Toyota bodyshop to do it.

If you were the first registered owner, and the cost of repairs exceeds 50% of the original cost of the vehicle, your insurance company may, if you have the new car replacement clause on your policy, be looking to replace the car with a new one to equivalent spec.

Although the damage does look extensive, my one sister had a 3 door VW Polo repaired with similar damage - in a non-fault accident, a motorcyclist drove head on into their car at the B-pillar. Extensive side damage similar to yours with creases in both the roof and the floor.

I am the first registered owner, yes. Not sure about a new replacement clause. It's not been mentioned in discussions I've had with them, them being Admiral. I have had various discussions with people, particularly the Toyota salesman who originally sold me the car, who suggested that were it to be repaired, the car would lose significant resale value later on due to having been involved in such an accident. I have it on a PCP scheme too, with a supposed guaranteed future value, but I need to look into whether there is a clause for accident damage which might detract from the intended target value. I'm not sure I want to drive a vehicle that was - prior to this accident - in perfect condition, with one that has had to undergo significant repairs. There'll always be a nagging doubt in my mind as to the structural integrity of the chassis. Still, I guess I will have to wait and see what the insurers say, then take it from there.

I would be inclined to check your insurance policy. Some insurers are withdrawing the new car replacement clause, and others are restricting it to the first registered owner (hence my question), so you may not have this cover.

As regards loss in value, provided it is repaired to a high standard - which is why I wouldn't use an insurance company's approved repairer - and retains the Toyota warranties as regards corrosion, etc, any loss I would say would be minimal. In my experience of part exchanging vehicles, if any have had accident damage, all the receiving garage have been bothered about, is whether it has been properly repaired.

• Like 1

If you want three doors, manual gearbox and good handling, nothing comes close to the Swift sport, IMO, especially on price. If there was an automatic, I probably would have stuck with Suzuki, despite the extra fuel consumption.

David

Dacia? You want to think very carefully about that, if anything is going to depreciate badly, that will be one of them!,

I think the salesman is talking out of his orifice, if the car is repairable, and repaired by your Toyota dealer to a high standard, you don't have anything to worry about

There are some cracking deals on at the moment, I appreciate you might not like some of the current Yaris but the step up to the Auris might be easier than you think

• Like 2

Dacia? You want to think very carefully about that, if anything is going to depreciate badly, that will be one of them!

It was tongue in cheek y'know... :ermm:

Will have to wait and see what insurance company want to do, but will obviously explore Auris route as a possibility.

Surprised that the Trend does not appeal

It's unique interior trim is quite high quality and combined with the rear spoiler and rear LED lights makes it quite a unique and likeable car :)

The Trend version is ugly ! The alloys on that version makes me dislike it loads. If it had different alloys options from stock I might replace my SR ...

Surprised that the Trend does not appeal

It's unique interior trim is quite high quality and combined with the rear spoiler and rear LED lights makes it quite a unique and likeable car :)

I wouldn't ever describe the trim in a Yaris as being "high quality". The rear spoiler I like, as it finishes off a car that otherwise reminds me of a Skoda Fabia, which I don't like. The rear LED's look like something purchased after-market on eBay, but they do add a modern feature to an otherwise bland bodyshape. The alloys are just silly. My opinion of the trend is that it's a 'bit' car - in other words, bits have been added, without real thought, to make it look like something it really isn't. Quite simply my opinion. To others, I'm sure, it's a delightful car. But it's not for me.

The rear LED's on the Trend are the same as on the Yaris Hybrid and give a unique lighting pattern on the Trend.....The rear lights and brake lights being combined in the same units.....this gives an increased and improved lighting area

The seats of the trend have a unique material and colour coding and stitching around the leather covered steering wheel and handbrake lever/gearshift is in a yellow colour which complements the flecking on the seats

The instrument panel on the trend is unique in that it has a white background with JDM style markings

The unique alloys give the car larger wheels than the rest of the Yaris models and have so far proved very easy to keep clean

All of this, combined with other unique style trim items make the Trend a good looking car.

I cannot agree that the trend resembles Lego but would agree that it's bold styling does not appeal to all

Just heard from insurers. Car is a write off. Now the fun begins.

The rear LED's on the Trend are the same as on the Yaris Hybrid and give a unique lighting pattern on the Trend.....The rear lights and brake lights being combined in the same units.....this gives an increased and improved lighting area

The seats of the trend have a unique material and colour coding and stitching around the leather covered steering wheel and handbrake lever/gearshift is in a yellow colour which complements the flecking on the seats

The instrument panel on the trend is unique in that it has a white background with JDM style markings

The unique alloys give the car larger wheels than the rest of the Yaris models and have so far proved very easy to keep clean

All of this, combined with other unique style trim items make the Trend a good looking car.

I cannot agree that the trend resembles Lego but would agree that it's bold styling does not appeal to all

Remind me what do you drive... :lol:

Errr ...... not sure what Red drives, but whatever it is it appears to be trending .....

Been to see my local Toyota dealership today, and they can put me in a 62 plate 1.4 D4D Auris Icon which has some extras already fitted, i.e. sat nav, park assist, DAB radio, for the same monthly price I was paying for the 63 plate Yaris. The Auris is on the forecourt for £14,500 and only has 4500 on the clock. It is in mint condition.

I am very tempted, but then you read What Car or Car Buyer, and they don't rate it at all against a Ford Focus. I've never had any trouble with my Toyota's since my first Corolla back in 2002.

What do you guys think?

post-127627-0-50352900-1394484793_thumb.

"I am very tempted, but then you read What Car or Car Buyer, and they don't rate it at all against a Ford Focus. I've never had any trouble with my Toyota's since my first Corolla back in 2002.

What do you guys think?"

What did you think of it, that's the important one?

If you look at What Car's review http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/toyota/auris-hatchback/summary/25675-5 they give it 2 stars but their readers give it 4 stars - so you have to consider do What Car journalists know what their readers actually want?

• Like 1

What did you think of it, that's the important one?

If you look at What Car's review http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/toyota/auris-hatchback/summary/25675-5 they give it 2 stars but their readers give it 4 stars - so you have to consider do What Car journalists know what their readers actually want?

I loved it. Took it for a short test drive on a fast road and round a few normal residential roads, and it was very nice to drive.

Any known problems with this model? Headlight brightness OK, leaks, rattles etc?

Currently scouring the Auris forum but can find hardly anything on this model, which is a good sign, right?

I subscribe to Autocar, Auto Express,Top Gear and subscribed to What Car for a while last year. Apart from Autocar publishing a full test of the Auris Touring Sport, there hasn't been much else in the motoring press on the Auris. The What Car owner reviews are a mix of first generation and second generation reviews - so in my opinion the accuracy of the What Car review is open to question.

From TOC most discussion has been on the Hybrid (both hatch and estate), with some discussion on the 1.6 CVT. Nothing really on either the 1.33 petrol or the 1.4 D4D.

Bear in mind that the second generation is really a comprehensive remodelling of the first generation (which is why Toyota have been able to use the same Type Approval for both).

I've had two first generation Auris - a 2009 and a 2012 model - and both have been really good. Only issue I had with the 2009 model was a broken cupholder - fixed under warranty - in the three years I had it.

I think at the end of the day, if you like the car - go for it.

I subscribe to Autocar, Auto Express,Top Gear and subscribed to What Car for a while last year. Apart from Autocar publishing a full test of the Auris Touring Sport, there hasn't been much else in the motoring press on the Auris. The What Car owner reviews are a mix of first generation and second generation reviews - so in my opinion the accuracy of the What Car review is open to question.

From TOC most discussion has been on the Hybrid (both hatch and estate), with some discussion on the 1.6 CVT. Nothing really on either the 1.33 petrol or the 1.4 D4D.

Bear in mind that the second generation is really a comprehensive remodelling of the first generation (which is why Toyota have been able to use the same Type Approval for both).

I've had two first generation Auris - a 2009 and a 2012 model - and both have been really good. Only issue I had with the 2009 model was a broken cupholder - fixed under warranty - in the three years I had it.

I think at the end of the day, if you like the car - go for it.

If I'm honest, I've really fallen for it. I even went back to the dealers just to sit in it for a second time! I used to drive an SR180, and I absolutely adored that car. OK, this isn't an SR180 in the performance stakes, but the level of equipment and the refinement is all there. I am promised a phone call in the morning from the guy that does all the finance wheelings and dealings down at the dealership. Given I've be a loyal customer since 2002 and my Yaris was written off, I'm kind of hoping he'll go soft in the head, take pity on me, and pull out the stops to sort me a cracking deal. Even if he doesn't, and I pay the same per month on finance what I am paying now, I still think I'm quids in.

Or, for the same amount per month, I could go for a new Citroen DS3 which I test drove this afternoon, for a laugh... what an awful, awful car!

• Like 1