Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Leak

rob47

HI got a 2008 toyota avensis 2.2 manual 6 speed just noticed a small oil leak seems to come from gearbox when parked on level just noticed when drivers side is lower oil seems to leak,any ideas or help would be appreciated, many thanks rob.

Any chance of a photo?

Leaks from the gearbox can only come from a limited number of areas.

(i) The filler or drain bolts. Tightening these will generally solve the problem. The sealing washers can be reused a few times so it's unlikely that they will have failed.

(ii) Driveshaft seals. These rarely fail on newish vehicles. They are only a problem when the driveshafts have been removed during a clutch change.

(iii) input shaft seal. Very rare. There would be weeping around the bell housing where the gearbox is bolted onto the engine block.

just had a good look today to find where oil leak is coming from looks like its coming from between engine and gearbox which would be rear crankshaft oil seal little bit annoyed as engine was changed 13000 thou miles ago for head gasket problem looks like toytota did not do a very good job any oil additives that any member could recommend that would help stop it, the car is toyota avensis 2008 2.2 dcat , many thanks rob.

I know Wynn's do an oil addictive where you just pour it in the engine, i think it is mainly designed to put new suppleness into old seals, i have used it myself on a very old boat engine and it worked, i just wonder why your seal is leaking?

Any half decent car spares shop should sell it, from memory it was about eight quid, could be worth trying.

Regards Mike169

thank you mike will try some tomorrow and see what it does

Hi Rob, i can quite easily find out the exact name of the product if you run into problems trying to source it, it will only take me a phone call to my local shop..................if you need to know just leave me a message on here.

Mike.