Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Keeps Cutting Out At The Lights

stevo57

I have a 57 plate 2.0 D4D that keeps cutting out when it's stationary, problem started about 18 months ago, i've mentioned it to the dealership when in for service but they're telling me they can't find anything, it used to only happen every now and then but it is getting more and more frequent, otherwise car is running great,

any suggestions please

have they changed or done anything.

Hello Steve,

does it do it even when the engine is hot or just when cold?

Engine revs should be around 1200 rpm cold and 800rpm when hot unless you have aircon on which picks it up about 100rpm more I find.

Pete.

Thanks for replies guys

It cuts out when hot and cold, engine revs are same as you say, the only job its had done that could cause this problem is new fuel pump but that was fitted 6 months ago, problem has been happening for at least 18 months, as I said apart from this the car is running sweet, its done 190,000 with full toyota service history, the fact that its happening more frequently suggests something is on its way out, I'm just hoping its nothing major

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ste

•If the car is difficult to start or will not start at all regardless of operating temperature, there are a number of problems which could be causing this. Here is a list of possible causes:

◾Engine Control Unit

◾Relay

◾Security System Control Unit

◾Fuel Pump

◾Fuel Pump Fuse

◾Distributor Cap, Rotor, Coil, or Primary Coil Wire

◾Engine Speed and/or Reference Sensors

A fuel pressure gauge, spark tester, and voltmeter are extremely useful in narrowing down the possible causes of the problem

Thanks Raistlin

Car has no problem starting up, except in really cold weather, which makes me think problem isn't ignition related, one other thing it does which I forgot to mention is when its idling there is a slight fluctuation in revs, nothing major but enough to move the rev counter needle up & down slightly.

Steve

Sounds like a faulty Suction control valve (SCV) or something related to the Fuel pump replcement. Who fitted the fuel pump, was it brand new? if so was the engine ECU reprogrammed with the latest software?

The SCV fits into the fuel pump and controls fuel pressure to the common rail, when fitting a new/modified SCV the engine ECU needs to be updated with new software to operate the new valve correctly.

If the pump was second hand / recon it is possible that the SCV is faulty, a faulty valve can present with the following:

Difficult cold start, extended cranking before car starts

Unstable idle

Engine stalling

Lack of power, hesitation, surging under load

Thanks Devon

That sounds spot on, the lack of power/hesitation/surging under load is exactly what was happening when the new fuel pump was fitted, all work was carried out by toyota under a warranty repair so I would hope they'd have updated the software, but the unstable idle & engine stalling is exactly what is happening now so maybe they didn't, car is in for a service this week so I'll update on Friday, once again thanks to everyone for all the help & suggestions, especially Devon

Thanks

Steve

• 5 months later...

Hi i had this issue with an older car i had i changed the idle control valve on it and hay presto problem solved, i don't know if diesels have ICV's if so the are manifold sif of the air intake a little piston housing with a wire running to it.

Hope this helps.

Dan

I have since had the SCV replaced and that has resolved the issue. Some people say that you need to have the ecu firmware upgraded but it is starting fine and running ok. The only thing that I have noticed is that I get random puffs of white/gray smoke coming from the exhaust when driving at a constant speed. Do you think upgrading the firmware may resolve this?

• 11 months later...

I didn't pay for it. The garage where I bought the car from did so I am not sure how much it cost. It is easy to replace so would be cheaper to buy the valve and fit it yourself. If it is a modified one then you will need to get a firmware update for the ECU from Toyota for it to function correctly

I just replaced the scv valve on an 05 avensis d4d. £85 on eBay. A couple of screws and that's it. I didn't get it reprogrammed but the car is running spot on now. It's depends if your pump has two valves or one like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

• 2 months later...

Hi I have exactly same problem I am wondering how you solved

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links