Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq In Uk To End

Blue Kingfisher

I have been told by two dealerships that the import of IQs to the UK will cease this year.

Aston Martin have also dropped the Cygnet from its range.

Whilst being very sad news indeed I'm wondering what implications this has for spare parts in the future considering it's very short life?

Regarding IQ into UK stopping in 2014, did the first IQ come into UK about 2009 ?

If so that"s only 5 / 6 years for a complete model design to be discontinued ?

Is that a very short car model life by most standards ?

Anyone know ?

• Like 1

I have a spare switch blanking plate

I had better keep hold of it. 🚗

David

The IQ was first produced in 2008, but not imported into the UK until 2009. A five/six year production cycle is the norm for Toyota and we don't know at this stage whether the new Aygo, in it's better equipped versions, will be filling the niche left by the IQ, or whether there will be a replacement. Having said that, most manufacturers don't have two distinct models in the city car market segment. Spares won't be an issue - eg engines are shared with other models like the Aygo, Yaris and Auris.

With the IQ being made in Japan, it will also suffer from the unfavourable monetary exchange rate of the Yen - making it expensive to produce. That coupled with low sales volumes can affect the viability of cars being exported to certain markets. We've already seen this with the Verso S and the Urban Cruiser, which have both been withdrawn from the UK after relatively short lives on the UK market - approx 2.5 years for the Verso S and 4.5 years for the Urban Cruiser.

I was behind a black iQ in Brum last week that stated, "All Electric" under the iQ Badge. Must be the name of the garage that sold it, but I did have to double take and muse at the notion of an EV iQ to replace the UK petrol models about to go AWOL.

Too bad - although with the very unimpressive 30mpg I'm still getting, I've gone back to driving my C5 around town again (urban diesel auto at 35mpg)

I believe the IQ was meant to become "electric only" powered but Toyota have gone the hybrid route, which would not suit a vehicle the size of an IQ.

Or so I have read, could be rubbish.

I was behind a black iQ in Brum last week that stated, "All Electric" under the iQ badge. Must be the name of the garage that sold it, but I did have to double take and muse at the notion of an EV iQ to replace the UK petrol models about to go AWOL.

All Electric Garages are a car dealer group which dates back to the First World War - now a much smaller group than they were in the 70's-90's.

Their original garage was in Harborne, Birmingham, and the 'All Electric Garage' was the first garage in England to be equipped with electric petrol pumps (circa 1915) - hence the name.

I grew up in Harborne so remember them well

• Like 1

More than 18,500 iQ's already registered in the UK is not a small number.

I am sure there will be no shortage of parts available from Toyota into the future.

Wasn't this expected following what the Dutch had said earlier in the year?

Like the Urban Cruiser building in Japan to sell in Europe doesn't really work well atm especially at the lower end of the scale.

It'd be a shame for there to be a complete end to the iQ. I've always thought it was a lovely car, and was considering getting one the last time I changed, but went for another Yaris instead because there was no touch and go in the iQ.

It'd be a shame for there to be a complete end to the iQ. I've always thought it was a lovely car, and was considering getting one the last time I changed, but went for another Yaris instead because there was no touch and go in the iQ.

It's an excellent wee car, though in honesty it's awfully expensive new for such a small car (even though it's well appointed with toys); I can understand sales being a lot less than they might've been.

In the outskirts of London i see at least 2 a week sometimes 4

David

Not too much of a surprise, big cities are really the 'native territory' for a city car like the iQ - and London's outskirts are likely to be quite affluent!

• 2 weeks later...

This is grave news. Grave news indeed.

My lease has about 12 months to run and I was fired up about
just replacing it with a new 2015 model, with a vague hope that by that time
there would be a model “refresh”.

I think however that there is provision in the lease to change
6 months early which I may well have to investigate hoping that won’t compromise
the excellent lease deal I got (practically no deposit and zero % interest)

Maybe UK stock will continue to be available well into 2015 after
production ceases or something worthy will replace it.

A tribute to how good the iQ is is the fact that I sat last
night trying to find a replacement and nothing appeared to come close.

Sad end to motoring’s best kept secret.

• Like 1

Celica Euan,

& Edinburgh is not affluent?

Actually i do not see as many iQ in Edinburgh as around Perth, Dundee & Aberdeen & surrounding areas.

iQ's are plentyful in Scotland.

That will be those that like VFM in first or second cars.

For the EV's & EV iQ's if they had gone ahead, Edinburgh and Glasgow are the Cities that are going to have lots of Charging Points and Glasgow already has now for the Commonweath Games this Summer,

But the current Scottish Government have committed to installing charging points to cover every 50 miles.

I will believe that when it happens,

but they need to do something to get use of all the Generated Energy from Wind Farms that is going unused

during the night.

george

Where did I say Edinburgh wasn't affluent? I agree, it's a well-off city, which explains seeing a moderate number around the city (and indeed there's someone with our "sister car" that lives near me too!). Still think 11-13K for a wee car is a bit on the steep side when new!

As compared to a new car..instead of our Toyota Verso (Wife's car)..we were thinking of a smaller one.

At this moment we could think of a used iQ...but nothing allowed to pull. So the "ALL NEW TOYOTA AYGO" comes in mind...

Cheaper / more doors / and pulling-capability...

Thus for the 2nd car...

So we will get rid of the Smart and the Verso... and a smaller next to the iQ of mine... :-)

This is very sad news. My Mrs loves her IQ and so do it. Can't beat if for smiles per gallon - and that turning circle!!! Park where you like too - all those half spaces that normal cars can't get into.

I hope this is all just a vicious internet rumour cos the IQ is one of the best kept secrets out there. Or maybe that's the problem, Toyota don't advertise it.

Toyota Told me last week

David

The only saving grace is that there may well be a gap between production ending in Japan and the end of UK stocks which may extend availability for a while.

I don't really want to keep it beyond the end the lease, but the thought of someone getting a better car than anything I can replace it with is depressing.

Maybe I'll have to look a bit harder.

We've seen nothing to suppose that production is ending in Japan.

Toyota are ceasing imports into the UK due to the exchange rate and the low sales volumes.

Presumably production of the current IQ and possibly a replacement will continue for the Japanese/US markets, with the top end versions of the new Aygo effectively replacing the IQ in the European markets the IQ is being withdrawn from.

What about Ireland. They were kind of treated differently,with having the Diesel model and the TNS 350 satnav

David

The Toyota Ireland website no longer has the IQ listed amongst their new models - so presumably imports to Ireland have already ceased. It is till showing on the UK site.

I don't like the Aygo. It was ok 87 years ago when it was released but it's getting a wee bit long in the tooth now. It also looks way too much like a Citroen and that's no good (yeah I know the models are related).

Toyota need a good low end car if they're removing the IQ. The Aygo is nothing new, nor nothing special. The Yaris is nice, but again it's nothing different and is too big for a city car. The Japanese market is full of Kei cars and for many people they have a place here.

We liked the IQ, we liked the way it drives (for what it is) and we liked the warranty. If Toyota stop selling it, we'll have to look elsewhere :(

Shame :((