Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roof Bars / Tow Bar

Toye53713

Hi,

got a couple of questions.

Roof Bars;

we had the factory fitted roof rails to our 2010 Rav but looking for some advice/recommendations on roof bars. I've had a look in Halfords and there are 3 different manufactures available.

is there a particular brand other owners would recommend?

Tow Bar;

I've just read some of the info in another topic regarding tow bars. We're interested in the one that you can attach the cycle holder to. We've looked at the factory fitted one and I've just had a look on the Witter website, but again is there a particular one that would be recommended?

many thanks

I've still got the OEM Mont Blanc Aero bars that I bought for our LC4 back in 2008 as they fit our current 4.3. I have to say that although they weren't cheap, they are still like new. I've found that this kind of quality is common with Toyota OEM kit.

As my (much) Better Half says. "You get what you pay for".

I've still got the OEM Mont Blanc Aero bars that I bought for our LC4 back in 2008 as they fit our current 4.3. I have to say that although they weren't cheap, they are still like new. I've found that this kind of quality is common with Toyota OEM kit.

As my (much) Better Half says. "You get what you pay for".

It's about time you paid for a brew in Wrexham :lol:

That's rich, the only way to get a drink out of you is to stick your fingers down your throat.. :clap:

That's rich, the only way to get a drink out of you is to stick your fingers down your throat.. :clap:

Harsh...........but very true :D: :bber:

What's Wrexham?

outta here!! :wheelchair:

• 3 weeks later...

I got some roof bars from a local outdoor retailer, light in weight but heavy duty usage upto 90Kg.

As I've never had roof bars on a car before I have got a question, do they all whistle as you go along? It's only a low noise but it's still audible. I've had a quick look on the internet and there's a few people saying about having a fairing but I'm not interested in fitting one of them. There's also tips about wrapping some thin rope around them so it breaks up the 'wind' which stops the noise

I got some roof bars from a local outdoor retailer, light in weight but heavy duty usage upto 90Kg.

As I've never had roof bars on a car before I have got a question, do they all whistle as you go along? It's only a low noise but it's still audible. I've had a quick look on the internet and there's a few people saying about having a fairing but I'm not interested in fitting one of them. There's also tips about wrapping some thin rope around them so it breaks up the 'wind' which stops the noise

Not a sound from the Mont Blancs - but, my better half says I'm deaf so maybe that's why I don't hear anything.

Also had the square section OEM Toyota bars on our previous 4.2 and I never heard any noise from them either.

I always get confused with rails and bars Steve, so this may be off track.

Are what you have the type that span the roof and clamp on at the top of the door opening? If so could they be stopping the doors closing tightly causing the whistle?

Jim, after driving noisy old lorries in the past my hearing is affected but more so to high pitch sounds like a whistle.Just a wild guess as I got the same remarks from my present squeeze.

Del

It's the bars attached to the roof rails.

There's a few things to try I just wondered if anyone on here had any tips

I had a Roof Rack on a car years ago and the wind used to 'howl' through it, noticeably slowed the car down top end wise and it drank more fuel. OK the car was only an Austin 1100 and the Roof Rack a cheapie self assembly job but it definitely was 'noisey' no different to say having a window open a little and you can hear wind noise coming through it.

Mike.

I always get confused with rails and bars Steve, so this may be off track.

Are what you have the type that span the roof and clamp on at the top of the door opening? If so could they be stopping the doors closing tightly causing the whistle?

Jim, after driving noisy old lorries in the past my hearing is affected but more so to high pitch sounds like a whistle.Just a wild guess as I got the same remarks from my present squeeze.

Del

It was loud music that's done it for me. Was always a rock fan and worked on the principle that you have to feel the music.....big mistake :bangin:

Re roof bar noises, etc, I think it is the luck of the draw re how well the things are fitted and how sensitive you are to noise. We used to regularly fit an aero roof box and it never made a sound and it was fitted to a variety of vehicles over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

As the current owner of Firemac's RAV 4.2 roof bars (still on the shelf incidentally Jim, waiting to be used!) I look forward to their quietness when I do need them!

Having had various roof bars and racks on a number of vehicles over time, they all tend to make some sort of noise as the wind passes through them. It's called physics you know!

Off topic, but an interesting tale. I arranged to collect Firemac's redundant bars when passing through his location. He wasn't at home, but his delightful better half was and on seeing my 2001 4.2 sat at the end of the drive, immediately behind her brand new version of Rav 4, she went into raptures about how much nicer her 4.2 had been compared with the current version!

I didn't offer to swap hers for mine,(Jim might not have been pleased!) but I did find it both amusing in itself, but also a further comment often seen on this forum and others about how, in many ways, RAV's have gone backwards.

I for one wouldn't want to buy any vehicle without a proper, full size spare wheel!

Such is progress...............................

Hi, off topic a bit but i read the above comment with interest. I own a 4.3.5 version, only 2 years old and low mileage and was aspiring to maybe buying the latest model in maybe a few months time, so a question please, apart from the spare wheel issue, and incidentally i bought a brand new full size one for mine and leave it in the boot, does anyone else consider the 4.4 model is not as good as previous models? Obviously the salesman at my local dealership was praising them (The 4.4 model) up as 'better than ever' but now i wonder if he was telling porkies? Lol.

Mike

Bought Lidl's roof bars,happy with them but they do whistle when not carrying anything.They are easily removed when not needed. Fitted to Rav 4.2 5 door. Viv.

As the current owner of Firemac's RAV 4.2 roof bars (still on the shelf incidentally Jim, waiting to be used!) I look forward to their quietness when I do need them!

Having had various roof bars and racks on a number of vehicles over time, they all tend to make some sort of noise as the wind passes through them. It's called physics you know!

Off topic, but an interesting tale. I arranged to collect Firemac's redundant bars when passing through his location. He wasn't at home, but his delightful better half was and on seeing my 2001 4.2 sat at the end of the drive, immediately behind her brand new version of Rav 4, she went into raptures about how much nicer her 4.2 had been compared with the current version!

I didn't offer to swap hers for mine,(Jim might not have been pleased!) but I did find it both amusing in itself, but also a further comment often seen on this forum and others about how, in many ways, RAV's have gone backwards.

I for one wouldn't want to buy any vehicle without a proper, full size spare wheel!

Such is progress...............................

(Much) Better Half was, as usual, correct, John. The 4.2 is by far a nicer looking 4x4 than the 4.3. Nevertheless it is an unfortunate fact of life that newer designs tend to be better overall and this is true of the RAV's. Much as I regretted letting the 4.2's go (and we had a 3-dr & a 5-dr), it was driven by the fact that as the kids get older they tend to get bigger (mainly longer/taller) and they just didn't fit in the 4.2 anymore. The 4.3 has more interior room and a bigger boot - to boot :lol2:. It's quieter, the intelligent 4WD is much more economical and it rides better. Despite our 4.2 5-dr being a top of the range VX, the 4.3 XTR has many more toys and some, like cruise, satnav and heated seats are actually useful.

Body styles are a matter of fashion so the 4.3's lines were dictated by the motoring fashions prevalent when the design was signed off. I admit that the 4.3 never floated my boat like some other designs but, taken with all the dynamic improvements, it has grown on me (apart from that monstrosity of a chrome-laden grille). Given the opportunity though I would have loved a new 4.2 but having all of the 4.3's space & improvements.

Having said all that though, the 4.4 does seem to be a backward step to me in that it is even more anonymous that the 4.3 is, in comparison to the 4.2, and consequently the 4.3 suits me better - at the moment. But taste is a very subjective thing so I fully expect that lots of good folk on here will disagree. Viva la difference!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links