Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Better Mileage Now With Shell Petrol.

Syncopator

Those of you who followed my posts regarding condensation in the lights may also remember that I was consistently getting 39 m.p.g. using supermarket, usually Sainsbury's, fuel.

A discussion with the dealer elicited the information that one of their staff achived a btter figure with Shell than with supermarket fuel.

I filled up with Shell, and yesterday filled up again after 318.5 miles, putting 32.32 litres in the tank.

That's 45 m.p.g. Not brilliant, but certainly better.

I generally have a fill up with Shell once a month or twice if the price isn't that much different from Esso because they're across the road from Asda they're generally competitive in price. So its not that all often now I use supermarkets for petrol. I get between 46 and 50mpg with my Yaris.

Those of you who followed my posts regarding condensation in the lights may also remember that I was consistently getting 39 m.p.g. using supermarket, usually Sainsbury's, fuel.

A discussion with the dealer elicited the information that one of their staff achived a btter figure with Shell than with supermarket fuel.

I filled up with Shell, and yesterday filled up again after 318.5 miles, putting 32.32 litres in the tank.

I used to have an Aygo 'Blue manual and now have an Aygo Ice MMT '13 plate I have always used Shell V Power in both getting 64mpg average with the manual and 58mpg with the MMT I know that people will say its a waste of money using V power on an Aygo.

I had occasion to use a tank of Supermarket fuel when away visiting relatives never again the difference in performance was very marked I thought something had gone wrong with my beloved Aygo.

I generally have a fill up with Shell once a month or twice if the price isn't that much different from Esso because they're across the road from Asda they're generally competitive in price. So its not that all often now I use supermarkets for petrol. I get between 46 and 50mpg with my Yaris.

Glad you are getting better fuel economy.

My car is booked in to the dealers tomorrow to sort the condensation in the headlight!

Glad you are getting better fuel economy.

My car is booked in to the dealers tomorrow to sort the condensation in the headlight!

Two new headlight units fitted!

Ended up with 430 miles and last bar flashing frantically. Took 38 litres to fill.

Up to 405 miles in mine now with 2 bars remaining.

How did you manage that?!

Up to 405 miles in mine now with 2 bars remaining.

How did you manage that?!

Easy really, 2 bars didn't long got 430 miles total. Mostly round town.

I got 416 miles with 2 bars remaining on my last tank. Mixture of town and motorway @ 75mph. I find that my Aygo does just as well on fuel if doing 75 or 60. Weird. Got 446 miles before refueling :)

I got 416 miles with 2 bars remaining on my last tank. Mixture of town and motorway @ 75mph. I find that my Aygo does just as well on fuel if doing 75 or 60. Weird. Got 446 miles before refueling :)

Good mileage, I am trying to beat my last figure.

How are you getting such high mileages? Care to share a few tips on this?

Drive smoothly, maintaining momentum wherever possible.

I have been practising the Roadcraft system of driving for many years, primarily for road safety but also for the comfort of my passengers and reduced wear and tear on the vehicle, the by-product being increased fuel economy. One of the biggest errors I see on the road is people driving too close to the car in front, hence the immense number or rear-end collisions. Maintain a bigger gap and you reduce the amount of on/off throttle hugely. Most people do not realise that every time you press the throttle you activate the fuel enrichment map so not only are you adding fuel to increase overall speed, the first few milliseconds of enrichment map is adding additional fuel to reduce hesitation when coming on throttle. It sounds minor but it can noticeably alter fuel usage. Think of the car in front of you being attached to yours by a bungee. Keep the gap 'elastic'.

Look up. I mean really look up. Same as above really. Monitor the area ahead as far as your eye can see. Anticipate hazards and changes in environment well before you are on top of them. Sounds obvious but it is clear that many drivers only look as far as the bumper ahead of them which for most seems to be about 10 feet.

Know your car controls and what your car is capable off. Slowing down from 60mph to 20mph for a bend which can be negotiated safely at 40mph is pointless, wasteful and tiring. If at all possible make a day of it to take your car-off road. Push it to it's limits. Make it break traction under different conditions so you know what it can do. Most modern cars can be pushed much further than drivers think. Knowing when your car will let go and what it does will build confidence in an unforeseen situation. It's not about learning to scream around everywhere, it's about not panicking and hitting the brakes because a cat has run out when you could have maintained progress and simply driven safely around it.

Get the right gear PRIOR to the hazard you are negotiating and remember that just about everything is considered a hazard - vehicles, people, road furniture, environment etc. Treat everything as a potential hazard and you become accustomed to planning for it. This doesn't mean you drive down the road at 1mph being paranoid about anything and everything (indeed, Roadcraft actively encourages maintaining quick progress where possible) but simply be aware.

Technically, if everyone drove using Roadcraft the only traffic collisions would be those involving an involuntary action (sneezing/heart attack for example), an external, immediate influence (deer runs out of nowhere) or mechanical failure on the vehicle. A rather bold statement but one I truly believe in. I genuinely believe that Roadcraft kept me alive on motorcycles for over 20 years and I have yet to have a car accident in which I have been at fault.

I digress, I know the question wasn't about road safety but driving smoothly and consistently can and will make a big impact on fuel usage. Maybe give it a go :)

I've noticed my MMT gear box even on the Aygo with its small engine would stay in the highest gear possible as long as it can; so if for example I slow down in a queue it'll stay in 2nd for as long as possible even if the road is inclining up a hill. Only when all else fails it'll go down into first. I'm not sure if that's a fuel saving method?

I'm signed up for the IAM Advanced Driving course, so hopefully I'll be a veritable slick chauffeur soon. I'm also going to use Shell exclusively for several fills and then try the premium stuff, but think it'll have to raise my mpg a few pegs to make it cost-effective. All interesting stuff, this :thumbsup:

I first passed the I.A.M's test 1970 and have been a member ever since. After frequent worldwide travel for some years and a few more years resident abroad, I elected to take it again - the test, not an assessment.

Over the years I have also had four re-assessments just as a check. They're well worth while.

All this made me even more surprised at my orginal m.p.g. figures with the Aygo.

It will be a while before I have to buy more fuel but I will try Shell's higher grade next time. Conventional wisdom has it that using a higher grade than is (apparently) necessary is a waste of money, yet I have heard comments that it does make a noticeable difference.

I shall, of course, report my findings here.

I keep good records of mpg and mileages since I bought the Aygo. I don't think you can really get an accurate mpg picture from one tankful, it seems to vary, maybe due to not quite filling to the same level every time.
My average mpg over the 2 years I've (or rather my Mrs to be accurate!) had the car is 55.2.

We tend to drive on the lines that Planemo describes, it does 50/50 motorway/urban driving and rarely exceeds 60mph! Mostly just the driver on board.
The only things we've done to try get more mpg are:

• Inflate tyres to around 35psi
  • Take out spare wheel/tyre and replace it with a tyreweld aerosol (reduces weight)
  • Put VPower through it every 4th fill up

No significant problems with the car, had to fix a couple of water leaks myself, just disappointed to find out after we bought it that it wasn't a Toyota made car!

The Aygo is the product of a joint venture between Toyota and PSA, and built in the Joint Venture production plant.

The forthcoming new Aygo will be the same, but the design is largely Toyota.

And with a 5 year warranty as opposed to the C1/107's 3 years.

My average mpg over the 2 years I've (or rather my Mrs to be accurate!) had the car is 55.2.

I think you're about right there. I have to admit that on average I am seeing around 55mpg too. This I am happy with as I bought the Aygo to replace my 600cc sportsbike which did just about the same. The odd thing I have noticed recently having done a couple of tanks with more 'enthusiastic' driving than I normally would, is that my Aygo doesn't seem to use much more fuel when driven hard.

Every other car I have had drops the mpg dramatically when used hard, the Aygo just doesn't seem to change much. It must run on pixie dust!

I think you're about right there. I have to admit that on average I am seeing around 55mpg too. This I am happy with as I bought the Aygo to replace my 600cc sportsbike which did just about the same. The odd thing I have noticed recently having done a couple of tanks with more 'enthusiastic' driving than I normally would, is that my Aygo doesn't seem to use much more fuel when driven hard.

Every other car I have had drops the mpg dramatically when used hard, the Aygo just doesn't seem to change much. It must run on pixie dust!

Its almost like it loves the fact you drive it hard at lower revs lol. I have to leave it in a lower gear for longer going up hills.