Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glow Plugs?

baz1631

Hi gentlemen of the rav, I've got a bit of exsess smoke on start-up, but goes away when engine warmed up. Would new glow plugs help cure this,(94000mls!) and if so, dose the ecu need resetting once they're fitted ?

Thanking you all ,

If one of the glow plugs were faulty this would result in heavy lumpy running on start up a for a short while as you would not be running on all cylinders.

A common cause of what you describe can be worn valve seals that allow a tiny amount of engine oil to seep onto the valve heads overnight which is burnt off on start up. Not a major disaster as such if there is only a minimal amount of smoke before you drive off

Del

Thanks crofter, what dose valve seal replacement entail? dose it cost an arm and a leg? is it an easy/difficult job? I was also oing to replace the fuel filter at the same time

The usual way would entail removing the cylinder head as to get at the seals it means removing the valve springs which if tried in situ could lead to the valves dropping into the engine.As to cost that would depend on the garage you choose i.e. main dealer or indie. Also there may be wear in the valve guides

Del

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links