Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Car Review Of The 2014 Aygo

Paul Gi

Reading this article, one gets the impression that the changes in the new Aygo are mostly cosmetic both inside and out side, plus imrovement in communications technology. We will have to drive the car to build our own impression and to see if it is worth upgrading to the new model. What really worries me is that the sound insulation in the older model is pathetic and it does not seem to have improved very much in the new model, if this article is to be believed. In contrast the VW Up and the new i10 have very good sound insulation at motor way speeds. .

Top Gear say it is quieter at speed and more comfortable than the first generation: - http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-toyota-aygo-first-drive-2014-03-15

I think this is the main difference between the two reviews: -

Top Gear and Auto Express seem to be making their comparisons against the Gen 1 Aygo

What Car are basing their comparisons to the VW up!

What you have to bear in mind is that these reviews are of a pre-production model, so can only be indicative. It is possible that there may be some changes when the new model actually starts production, and specifications for the UK market - and probably other European markets - have yet to be finalised. For example production of the current Auris began in October 2012 - approx two months before launch. So with the UK Aygo going on sale from July, production of RHD cars will probably commence somewhere around the end of April/start of May.

It is quite valid for comparisons to be made with the outgoing model, as current owners will want to have an idea (and that is all it can be at this stage) of what improvements there are likely to be over the first generation.

Similarly comparison with rival cars can only be an indication at this stage.

Most people who review the auto gear boxes don't even realise that you can drive them in manual mode which makes the driving experience a bit more pleasant having more control over the car when you change gear. I drive in manual mode in my MMT all the time.

I predict that this car will be a pretty popular sight on our roads because the funky styling is unique and will stand out from the usual crowd of small boxes. The interior looks pretty decent to me too and the 'exposed metal' is clearly deliberate. I also like the way they contrast the frontal X to the main body colour. Let's face it no-one buys an Aygo for the driving experience. It's a no nonsense low cost car and the new model simply adds some flair to the design which will be popular with the younger buyers looking for budget motoring but with some individuality.

Autocar's first drive preview was surprisingly upbeat for a brand that they usually accuse of being the equivalent of a domestic appliance ...

I will be interested to see one in the flesh and maybe have a test drive in the auto version. I will also be keen to compare the price with the Citroen and Peugeot version. I also wonder if the security of the car will have improved.

It's a no nonsense low cost car and the new model simply adds some flair to the design which will be popular with the younger buyers looking for budget motoring but with some individuality.

And us old farts trying to look cool... :clap: