Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 Tourer, All Four Footwells Soaking...

ooglewoogle

Further to my recent post about finding the spare wheel well deep with water, I have just discovered that the carpets are sodden through in each of the four footwells. It seems that this car is waterproof from the inside out.

I have no idea how long this has been going on for, but I suspect quite a while, despite only just noticing it. There was a moderate condensation problem, but we are quite used to this out here in the isles so didn't think to much of it. Then when we found the boot with water in, naturally assumed that this was the problem. Turns out probably not.

Trying my best to dry it out, initially with paper towels and thickly stacked absorbent material, left to soak up at nights....drawing out loads of water. I guess I should really try to figure out how to remove carpet for dying, but would rather not tinker with the fit. Hope to finish dying with heat.....only there is wind driven rain here just now, so we will see!

Can anyone point to a likely culprit for ingress? My initial thought was that water was leaking in at the boot area and running along a wiring loom through the car, then absorbing through the under carpet by osmosis....but after inspection tonight, I am not sure that is the case.

Would love to just hand it over to the dealers under 5 year warranty, but I have to get there first, and may take me a week or two to make it to the mainland. Obviously I am keen to do damage limitation before then, so all ideas appreciated.

Many thanks.

Just a thought, could it be a problem with the ac drain? Bad condensation over a couple of damp winter months would be enough to soak carpets if not draining?

Other thought was that it occurred while pressure washing, but I doubt this.

Cheers.

Check the pollen filter (behind the glove box) - is that blocked and does it need renewing. Check that there are no leaves, etc blocking the vents in the bulkhead - have a look with the bonnet open. Check the a/c evaporator pipe isn't blocked - usually tucked up under the dashboard and accessible from one of the footwells. Do you have a sunroof - the drainage pipes leading down the pillars could be blocked.

Thanks very much for that Frosty. As soon as it is tenable to stand up outside (Hebridean hooley blowing outside), I will check those things and report back.

Slainte.

Have managed to have a quick look around, but still not found the root of the problem. Pollen filter could do with replacing, but it is bone dry, with no sign of water behind the dash at all. Bulkhead seal looks good, and everything is immaculate in and around the scuttle.

The carpets seem to be starting to dry a bit, despite wind driven rain here today. I suspect this points more towards a problem with the ac drain, or some way it is taking on water while driving.

Water ingress can often be a pain to sort out. The best advice I can give is to get the carpets and any padding beneath them dry. It may be you will need to remove the carpets to achieve this. Once dry use some absorbent paper and cover the whole floor then use a hose pipe all over the car, the absorbent paper should soon show any sign of water. If it is the aircon drain then obviously you will need to latest this in the same way. Hope you get it sorted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links