Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Empty Petrol Tank

eygo

today we have ordered a 14 plate aygo and we have a full tank of fuel in ours what is the easiest way to drain the tank as the expected delivery is tuesday next week

,if we syphon what length of pipe do we need to have.

thanks for any help

Is there not an anti-syphon device on those.

Del

Below is the legal requirement for how much petrol one can store in a garage or within six metres of a building:

"The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres or two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself."

So the maximum you can legally store is 20 litres in total in two metal fuel containers, or 10 litres in total in two plastic containers.

The fuel tank of an Aygo is 35 litres.

You're putting yourselves at risk in syphoning petrol. Why bother??

Why not ask the supplying dealer to let you have some fuel in your new car as the car you are trading in has just been refuelled

It is not worth the potential risks involved in siphoning fuel, particularly if you are at all unsure what you are doing

Let it go! :)

OMG you must be joking!

A guy i know worked for a car sales garage and one of his 'things', perks if you like was to syphon out the fuel of cars to fill his own so he didn't have to buy any. One day he was wearing a fleece acrylic top and doing the usual syphon bit, static from his synthetic generated a spark, the fumes instantly exploded setting fire to his top that caught fire rapidly. The burns to his arm were so severe he had to take 2 months off work, lots of painful skin grafts and is badly scarred for life, all because of syphoning fuel. OK he may of saved say £500 over a period of time but 2 months off work, no wages, lots of hospital visits and lots of pain of course cost him a lot more...........................then the garage charged him for fire damage to 'their' car, he soon lost his job due to all the bad feeling, Syphoning fuel is very dangerous and for the sake of saving a few pounds simply isn't worth the risk.

He doesn't just want to use it up, he wants to siphon it out to transfer from his old car to his new car :lol:

He doesn't just want to use it up, he wants to siphon it out to transfer from his old car to his new car :lol:

i noticed the other day the clutch on our mmt has started to slip and with the cost of replacing the clutch i would rather sell the car and buy a new car, it seems a shame that i may leave a full tank of fuel when we will only get £5 in the new car just enough to get us off the forecourt .

its my partners car and we have a 5 month old baby so i want to make sure she and daniel are safe ,dont want her being stranded .

I was able to forecast how long I'll need petrol in my yaris before getting the Aygo, dropped it off on Tuesday just as it had got down to the last mark on the fuel gauge.

When I got my new Aygo, it had half a tank of petrol so if your dealer is as generous as mine, you should get half a tank. My new Aygo has managed three and a half 30 mile work trips before I filled it up today full.

I was just wondering, how do the AA/RAC/blah drain the tank when they're called out to a misfuel...?

i noticed the other day the clutch on our mmt has started to slip and with the cost of replacing the clutch i would rather sell the car and buy a new car, it seems a shame that i may leave a full tank of fuel when we will only get £5 in the new car just enough to get us off the forecourt .

its my partners car and we have a 5 month old baby so i want to make sure she and daniel are safe ,dont want her being stranded .

You will get quite a long way in an Aygo with £ 5 of fuel...........But it is still worth speaking to the dealer and asking for a bit more fuel in your new Aygo as you will be leaving a lot in your old car......Always worth asking!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links