Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Sometimes Won't Start

bluebones

Hi, having another problem with the wife's 2.0l d4d 2004, it sometimes won't start no matter how many times u try it, then u have to leave it for a while and it's fine again, I've noticed when it doesn't start the glow plug light does not come on, but does every time hot or cold when it's running fine,

So does anyone else know what it might be, as I was thinking it may be a relay for the glow plugs? Or could it be an immobiliser problem?

Thanks in advance, george.

Hi George

I haven't had any starting problems with my Rav as yet (touching a large piece of wood) but there are one or two things which can be checked first.

It is possible for the immobiliser to communicate intermittently with the key's transponder chip - especially if it is an aftermarket key. A simple check is to watch the red security light on the dash. It should be flashing when you enter the car but should extinguish when the key is placed fully in the steering column barrel. Try the key both ways round to eliminate the possibility.

To check the glow plug circuit/relay have a look at this post which has a very useful '.pdf' document which you can download.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/116281-engine-pre-heat-light/

Good luck

John

Thanks for your reply john, ill give this a try.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links