Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 Cylinder Head Gasket Blown, But No Symptoms?

flyboy0902

Hi Simon, I know how you must be feeling, I had the coolant problem on my Rav in Oct 2011 while towing my caravan back home in France. The coolant would spill out the top of the expansion tank and the level would drop to the neck at the bottom of the tank and I managed to arrive home OK. Well I took it to Mr Toyota who checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong, the said it MIGHT be the radiator, the thing was it was fine while drove about solo. Anyway the following year in April towed the caravan down to Dorset and it happened again so I put up with it until I returned home. I took it back and this time told them about the TSB that I found out about on this Forum and they said you can't believe everything that you read on the internet. Anyway they checked it again and replaced the pressure cap on the expansion tank (at a cost of £17) and said try that. Well that didn't work so it went back in about 2 months later and this time was found the it failed the sniff test, which I must say by this time I could smell my self when taking the cap off the and releasing the pressure in the tank. Anyway it was booked in to have the head gasket replaced. I told them again about the TSB on this problem and was told no you don't need a replacement engine so the job was done and all was fine. I towed the caravan and no more problems. Then 2 weeks later I gets a phone call from Mr T saying could I bring my car back in as they needed to replace the engine and should not of done the work on the head gasket. I never found out what happened but assumed they got a telling off.

When this first started the car was 4 years old and had 42,000 miles on the clock.

I think what I'm saying is why can't these tests that they do be conclusive, seems to me that this test needs looking at and sorted out to find what is going wrong, mine wasn't spotted until it was obvious the head gasket had gone, but showed the signs 7 months earlier.

Best of luck Simon.

Dave

• 8 years later...

I will never again buy another Toyota for as long as I live and I will tell anyone and everyone how Terrible Toyota is! I spent $32,000 on a 2010 Toyota RAV4 limited in 2016 I saw some crusted coolant on a hose I asked my friends husband what that could be he wasn’t sure , within a week I blew a head gasket never any other sign of anything I then looked online and saw a article that said Toyota took the blame because they torqued the  head bolts too tight in manufacturing and that many of their v6 engines across the board all makes and models could potentially blow a head gasket sooo why is t Toyota paying to have this fixed I now have a vehicle with only $113,000 miles on it and it doesn’t run no one would even work in it unless I put a new engine in it because after I told them Toyota said they were at fault they went online saw the same thing and said they won’t be responsible for Toyota’s problem they caused so new engine or nothing ! Toyota when I own the blame for something I should rectify it you made money on me by selling me a piece of crap! Really 113,000 miles is all I got to Drive it for $32,000 ! Makes me sick to my stomach! Do the right thing and start fixing these cars for people when you admit causing the problem. Never again will I purchase a Toyota ! 
Tania

1 hour ago, Tanlib said:

I will never again buy another Toyota for as long as I live ...

Well, I hope that posting made you feel better. This thread is eight years old and is discussing the 2AD 4 cylinder diesel engine widely used across Europe rather than the V6 petrol that was more common in the US ...

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links