Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Season, New Tyres And Rim Updates

Speed_Chaser

Hey guys just wanted to ask for some recommendations. It's time to buy some new tyres and the ones I currently have are GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. I like the performance they offer but they're quite noisy, especially in 18" size with 40 profile. I would like something more quiet if possible without compromising the performance too much.

Should I just go for updated model and buy Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres or choose EfficientGrip Performance? What is the difference in performance/quality/noise?

I would also like to get some recommendations regarding width of the tyres. I have 225/40/18 at the moment and my rims are 8" wide. If I will get 205/XX/18 tyres and stretch them, what will actually change? Will the grip while cornering become weaker as they're not as wide? Also will the acceleration and braking be faster or what? Are stretched tyres impractical in some way, for example because they could slip off the rim and therefore require slower and more careful driving?

Two of my rims are damaged and I'm going to replace them with new ones, but with different ET. Currently I have ET40 and I'm going to order 2 pieces with ET20. Hope they'll fit. Will this affect the steering/stability somehow as offset will be different behind compared to the front side.

BTW anyone interested in two TSW Snetterton rims in 18" with some fixable damage and ET40? Width is 8" as I told before. Hope I won't have to just throw the old ones away...

Stretching them could pull a tyre if you corner hard ( from experience ) but your after only a small stretch and on the rear so should be no worries .... I have the asymmetrical 2 and they are fantastic and very quiet on the motorway ....

The Et shouldn't be too big a deal on the back as long as u have plenty of clearence but as the arches on modern cars are different to that of old cars shouldn't be a problem .... Good luck with finding some new rims but it might be worth repairing the old rims and keeping them as u never know when u might need a spare wheel

Sent from my HTC One SV using Toyota OC mobile app

Ok cheers for your tips Ben!

I'm tempted to test EfficientGrip but my experience about Asymmetric 1 is so good that I wouldn't really want to risk by looking anywhere else.

Yeah the stretch is quite minimal, probably nothing to worry about as it's not 195 on 9" rims as on some cars..

BTW can someone identify the rims on this video? Nice video and good looking Auris there aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_tiGTUSSMo

205/40/18 on a 8j rim is hardly any stretch at all as that's what I had on mine. Wouldnt do it if you want good handling though as when you start stretching Tyres they loose there performance as your toughening the sidewall so they tend to slide alot more. So not really worth throwing couple hundred on Tyres for them.

I have the Asymmetric 2's as well & can vouch for their performance. I prefer lightweight 17"s to be honest, but each to their own :)

Thanks guys for your input. Maybe you're right, I shouldn't stretch at all if I'm not going to do it properly :)

What rims would you suggest Paul? 18" was the only way to go as I wanted something with lip and in 17 size lip makes the rim look very small.

BTW does anyone know lug nut specs for Auris? I would like some long ones.

I've got Dare ST's in 17" size, but I also would recommend Rotas as they're light & have a great range for choice. I guess it depends what you like dude :)

Ok cheers, I've been loking at Rotas allready. If not for summer, I'll be probably getting a new set for winter in 17". I'm digging P-45F model, but only available 7.5" wide...

dscf7266.jpg

• Like 1

BTW does anyone know which lug nuts should I be choosing for my Auris? Don't know the specs...

Ok cheers, I've been loking at Rotas allready. If not for summer, I'll be probably getting a new set for winter in 17". I'm digging P-45F model, but only available 7.5" wide...

dscf7266.jpg

Very nice - similar to Speedlines but nicer ! :thumbsup:

I checked some site and found nuts with several specs which were listed as Auris compatible, so cannot always trust them. Finally decided to ask in case someone knows for sure!

Yeah I like that look, simple but with little twist, similiar to the one I have now on my winter rims.

Got a nice quote and couldn't resist, hope I won't experience rubbing... Ordered two TSW Snetterton rims, 18x8 ET20 (for rear) and a full set of GoodYear Asymmetric 2 tyres in 225/40/18 the same size I had before. But I still need some new set of rims for the next winter I guess. These 16x7" ones look so tiny...