Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Foot Brake Adjustment Etc.

Chris Dance

It was about 40 quid to change the pollen filter on my IQ, and I imagine the same on the Prius....

just why I bothered on the IQ I dont know, and I am now thinking, 'why bother' with the Prius...no asthma, no breathing problems, up till now anyway....

can anyone list me a few reasons for even having a pollen filter...let alone changing it...........or am I missing something here????

• Like 1

The only one I can think of is to give dealers more profit on after sales items. :ermm:

If it is clogged up, then air flow is very slow and the windscreen can fog up. For about £20+, just change them both yourself and save a fortune, and know the job is done properly.

Michael's advice seems on the money.....when my windscreen show signs of a slow de-mist, and new filter could be needed

until then.......

or you could just remove it.

Given the muck in the air in London, anything that even hopes to stop the air borne cancer is worth it, leave alone the dust in the cabin. They really are good with the electrostatic ability to pick up stuff. Pay £15 ever two years and wallow on how life has improved!

or you could just remove it.

Sorry Keith, definitely would not recommend that as an option.

Given the amount of large particles (leaves e.g.) and other rubbish i have seen trapped by my filter, I'd rather not have that getting inside my vent system.

I also think that it being referred to as a pollen filter is misleading. Sure there is an expensive pollen filter you can get if you are prone to hay-fever, asthma, etc which helps to make life more comfortable, but there is also a cheaper "regular" filter, if you are not so afflicted. If you do want to save money, there are many cheap options available on Amazon/fleabay.

There is also the option of just removing it and vacuuming it to remove some of the rubbish a few time before finally replacing, too.

I have even read of one person who purchases a large filter for a home ventilation system and just cuts this up into squares to fit the cabin filter.

Finally, it is such an easy job to do I would recommend that you see to it yourself before you put it in for a service. It takes all of 5 minutes to do.

LOL, A few leaves in the foot wells gives the car character.

TBH I was being a bit tongue in cheek when I said remove it, they cost so little (except at the dealers) and are an easy DIY job so it's not worth leaving it out. It does actually reduce dust on the dash and if you get a charcoal impregnated filter it reduces some odours too. Although if not changed/cleaned then it can hinder demisting of the screen.

thank you Joseph for that Utube info......and for THAT the dealer charges £40+.......phew!!!!

this isn't really off topic, as the OP was asking about the cost of a brake service, possibly a similar area open to dealer exaggeration

• 7 years later...
On 3/29/2014 at 6:29 PM, Chris Dance said:

In view of what you say Kithmo the dealer is charging top dollar for parts and work. The service manager did say they have to do an adjustment at the rear and rear wheels had to be removed for the foot brake adjustment??

I suppose the Pollen filter price included fitting although the fitting is only glove box removal.

I will mention to the service manager that the prices are on the high side.!!

The thing is Toyota Dealer will be doing it properly and what has been described the earlier post is only one part of adjusting the Parking brake. Theres a bit more to it if it done properly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links