Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Going Flat In New Auris

RunningInPleasePass

I have had the same problem for years. The Dealer wants to charge me to fix a Toyota fault that is listed elsewhere saying it is something to do with the Hazard warning lights.

3 hours ago, TRR said:

I have had the same problem for years. The Dealer wants to charge me to fix a Toyota fault that is listed elsewhere saying it is something to do with the Hazard warning lights.

Is yours a first generation Auris or second generation?

& hybrid or not?

For Hybrid, there is cheap version VARTA Battery which is not AGM Battery for about 40-50 pounds.  But I do not recommend it if you want to keep the car for a long time.  I prefer to get proper AGM Battery that won't cause any harm to the HV battery in case any side or rear accident.   I used Optima Yellow top battery 6 years ago and it works fine for the next 4 years before I sold my Prius 2006.  Alternatively, you can get original AGM Yuassa battery from online seller or go to local dealership to get one.  Pay attention on the manufacturing date on any battery. usually they have sticker of the month and year.  

Hybrid is pretty picky about which battery to use because the AGM battery is design for deep charge/discharge unlike regular Acid-Pb battery in most 12V car battery.   It is a small size and only for start the ECU/computer, not cranking the engine but also design and behave differently.  Most of the AGM Yuassa battery last at least 8 years. 

36 minutes ago, AisinW said:

For Hybrid, there is cheap version VARTA battery which is not AGM battery for about 40-50 pounds.  But I do not recommend it if you want to keep the car for a long time.  I prefer to get proper AGM battery that won't cause any harm to the HV battery in case any side or rear accident.   I used Optima Yellow top battery 6 years ago and it works fine for the next 4 years before I sold my Prius 2006. 

From what you said, John, I take it the 12v Battery is in the boot, rear corner on driver side.  If that is the case I would be concerned having a wet acid Battery within the driver/passenger area. If you were to be in an accident to the rear end/side a Battery could split and if of the wet acid type then a chance of acid spalshing occupents of the car which could be life changing. The wifes 2010 hybrid Auris has a AGM type battery (I fitted Optima Yellow Top 3 years ago) in the boot and so did the Prius Gen 3 I had. The Prius Gen4 I now have has the battery under the bonnet and the Toyota fit battery from new is a non-AGM ie standard wet type.

Catlover, I accept what you say, but my Mercedes E220 had a lead acid Battery in the boot.  It was at least twice the size of a Toyota hybrid Battery and speced for stop/start even though that model was not so equipped.  After 14 years it had the odd hiccup so I had a new one fitted even though KwikFit thought it probably wasn't necessary. 

I agree with Joe. Besides the HV Battery, it is also about passenger safety.  Yes, I know Audi, Benz, and some German cars have Battery on the trunk too.  They are regular acid Battery and really large but I never know what the original battery is. It is possible they are AGM but the owner buy cheaper battery when it died. Yes, if it is located on the engine bay, there is no need to have AGM battery and newer Corolla 1.8L also does not use AGM battery, only the 2.0L still use AGM battery for the same reason. 

I think it is indeed true that the safety of AGM battery related directly to the location of the HV battery inside the cabin and passenger safety. 

Just a reminder that just because a Battery is AGM doesn't mean it is capable of deep discharge - Check the specs!!

The only guaranteed difference AGM gives you is it won't spill sulphuric acid on you even if it's upside down!

There was a recall on early second generation Auris hybrid (December 2012 onwards) after Toyota found there was an issue with the hazard warning light switch draining the Battery.

The first generation wasn't affected

However, TRR hasn't come back to confirm which generation their 2012 Auris is and whether it is petrol, diesel or hybrid.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links